Mazda3 Forums banner

I have a ticking noise in the engine. Sounds like valves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 04 mazda 3 5 door 2.3, with 72,000 miles i hear a ticking when driving just started a day ago. It only happens when i and just starting to push the gas. If i press it down the entire way no noise and if i let off no noise. only when i reach a speed and you keep you foot on the gas to maintain that speed. It sounds like ticking valves in the engine. it is coming from the passenger side. by the front wheel. It almost sound like a piece of cardboard is stuck in the spokes of a bike. HELP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Just changed the oil today. Put in moble 1 5w-20. I had a chance to look at the car more today and got under it and looked in the day light. The noise is from the center of the engine. When the cover is on it sould like it is from the right side. It is better discribed as a clicking sound. It reall only happend around 3000 Rpms not too much below and not too much higher. I was thinking that maybe the oil level was a little low, That is why i changed the oil. Any thoughts before i go to the dealer???

·
Registered
501 Posts
the way you describe it coming from the front passenger and sounding like a peice of cardboard in spokes, itsounds like maybe you have the beginings of a warped rotor?

take it to the dealer though. why not have peace of mind

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I had a ticking sound which I thought was the lifters in the oil pump (sounded JUST like the HLA lifters on my old probe), but it turned out the intake manifold needed to be replaced.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=aminzer link=topic=68848.msg1191765#msg1191765 date=1170850754]
sometimes a ticking noise means you have an exhaust leak, but it doesnt sound like that if its come from the front right tire area
[/quote]

+1 for exhaust leak or possibly something hitting your drive belt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to a few guys at Delta Airlines that work on the equipment today. They said that for the way i describe it it was a exhaust leak. How Much did it cost to replace the intake manifold? I thing i will go by the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Car still runs fine no difference in performance just the noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem back at about 40k miles. It is the flapper valve for the "variable length intake runners" (or 2 chamber intake system). For some reason, when they malfunction, they end up tapping. The cheapest way to fix it is to replace the entire intake manifold assembly since it comes to the dealer as a preassembled component. Mine was also replaced under warranty, so no clue on cost. Do a search as I know it was discussed when mine was done at this time last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got it, took it back to the dealer is was the intake flapper valve. to replace the intake $1100 at the dealer. Thanks for all the help. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
[quote author=par724j link=topic=68848.msg1213626#msg1213626 date=1171716177]
You got it, took it back to the dealer is was the intake flapper valve. to replace the intake $1100 at the dealer. Thanks for all the help. :D
[/quote]

my car is in the dealership right now waiting on a new intake mani. They told me only one left in the north east region right now. It is being ordered from Toronto. Thankfully Im under warranty hearing how much that could have cost me. Good luck

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think mazda is known for a little ticking from the engine.
I know my 94 626 ticked, had about 100000 miles... And a buddy of mine had a MX-3 and a old 89 626 that had a ticking noise. Also his girlfriend at the time had a MX-6...also ticking noise..

But then again..this was in the mid-late 90's...not sure when ford got really involved with mazda..or even if that would change anything.

Maybe use a heavy oil?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I guess this thread should be :closed:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts