Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so for x-mas i got 2 new ebc rotors for the front and ebc pads for the front as well. i have done everything and double checked it all, but there is no way the setup will fit together without some sort of modification.

as you can see from the pics, there is quite a large discrepancy. the pads are either too thick, or the rotor is too thick. at any rate, there is no way to put the brakes back together. the only thing that works is new rotor+old pads(21k mi.)

i just went and compared the EBC rotor with the stock rotor and the dimensions are equal.

anyone feel free to jump in with ideas or suggestions!!!

this picture is the new rotor on with the stock pads back on

this kinda shows the excess

shows how much pad overlaps

just felt like showing the rotor off in this one.

and until anyone has any ideas...i'll be shredding on guitar hero

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Did you get the caliper piston completely compressed? If not remove the master cylinder cap to relieve the pressure and compress the piston again, otherwise you may just have been sent the wrong pads.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
weird thing is...the stock pads barely squeeze in, yet the rotors are the exact same thickness as stock. i took off the cap to the brake fluid reservoir, and nothing really changed. is there something else i can try to releive the pressure from the piston. hell, while were at it, what does the piston even look like?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
use an old pad and a c-clamp. you could also open the bleeder valve and compress the piston.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
You need the Compression tool.

Should be able to find one at a hardware store. I got mine from Harbor Freight

Looks like the picture below, this pic shows what you need to do as well.

CALIPER TOOL SET FOR DISC BRAKES

Direct link to what you need
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

Saves alot of time and hardly any effort involved.

COST $39 online, but I had a $20 off coupon for local store, so only cost me $10.

Harbor Freight has a store lookup for your area in Texas, look here, hope you get what you need.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf#TX

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
TEK,

That top set you have pictured, I rented that from my local Autozone for just a few bucks for when I did my brake pads.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
It's a pretty good tool to have. :p

Although that little pin that goes in the main shaft keeps falling out on mine, I got open it up a bit and refit it.

Still glad I have this tool set, I have done 6 brake jobs with it already, helping out other members + my own cars.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=maudi3 link=topic=65535.msg1122391#msg1122391 date=1167255542]
Did you get the caliper piston completely compressed? If not remove the master cylinder cap to relieve the pressure and compress the piston again, otherwise you may just have been sent the wrong pads.
[/quote]

I ran into the same issue. Turns out the caliper wasnt fully open.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the help guys! i just pushed really hard and the piston went in and then i felt really stupid!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts