Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
(2004 Mazda 3 sedan with 2.3l engine)

So this morning i am driving to school and about 2 miles into the drive my oil pressure light comes on and i notice a weird sound. i immediately pull the car over and it shuts off. I tried cranking, but nothing. i check the oil and it has leaked under the skid plate. there is also oil in my tires and on the road behind me. i called the dealership and they said that since i have 50,900 miles that my warranty has expired but they will look at it. the guy said that he thinks it is a blown engine. so this pretty much sucks

any advice on getting them to cover it regardless?

also, i had not expericened ANY problems prior to this morning. no warning lights, no weird sounds or poor performance.

i am assuming that worst case scenario is that i have to replace my 2.3l engine.

any idea of what thats going to cost to buy a new or used engine?

any help would be great! IM LOOSING MY MIND

thanks

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Don't panic until the problem has been ascertained. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...the only thing that i have learned so far is that the dealership is looking at the car, and there is a possibility that they will cover the repair even though the warranty just expired. does anyone know if there is any kind of presidence on such a matter? also...im thinking that the problem is a blown rear engine seal...anyone know if this is a "common" problem or how hard to fix?

im trying to be calm about all this, but its difficult when i really dont know whats going on

thanks

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
That really sucks. I hope they fix it without you needing to pay for it. Also do ypu have the oil change records for the car incase they ask for them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i got all the records...the update is...blown engine whole thing needs replacement. ouch

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Call Mazda corporate and ask them if it's possible for some sort of goodwill thing. If you have no mods at all, they'll probably cover it since you're just outside the warranty.

·
Registered
203 Posts
[quote author=ViperKillerWannabe link=topic=69084.msg1198906#msg1198906 date=1171091651]
Call Mazda corporate and ask them if it's possible for some sort of goodwill thing. If you have no mods at all, they'll probably cover it since you're just outside the warranty.
[/quote]

What did the dealer tell you? Did they say you had to pay full price? If so thats a bunch of bunk! If so do what ViperKillerWannabe said. Call corporate and tell them the story and that the dealer is telling you that you have pay full price, or is not working with you. You have performed all maintenance, and have proof. So long that it cant be proved you were abusive to the vehicle. They may help you. Be persistant. But dont be a jerk. Thats a last resort. If you start off being a jerk, they wont want to do anything for you.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69084.msg1198915#msg1198915 date=1171092521]
that ebay one doesnt even look like it...
[/quote]

you're right :Owned:

·
Registered
759 Posts
[quote author=Chipotle link=topic=69084.msg1198940#msg1198940 date=1171094639]
[quote author=ViperKillerWannabe link=topic=69084.msg1198906#msg1198906 date=1171091651]
[/quote]

What did the dealer tell you? Did they say you had to pay full price? If so thats a bunch of bunk! If so do what ViperKillerWannabe said. Call corporate and tell them the story and that the dealer is telling you that you have pay full price, or is not working with you. You have performed all maintenance, and have proof. So long that it cant be proved you were abusive to the vehicle. They may help you. Be persistant. But dont be a jerk. Thats a last resort. If you start off being a jerk, they wont want to do anything for you.

[/quote]

You can try..but honestly don't expect them to change the warranty length because of a severe case of bad luck. These warranties have an expiration mileage and length for a reason. Yes, you are just barely exceeding it, but just like the Price is Right gameshow...the winner is the closest one WITHOUT going over. If your mileage was 49,999 you'd hit the jackpot. Brand new engine after max use of the old one. 50,001 and you're out of luck. But it's worth a shot to try..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right now i am still waiting to hear something from the dealer about possibly extending the warranty. also they really havent told me what caused the damage yet, so there is still the possibility that i wont have to pay the full repair price (which is 7,000).

thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
this is the point where you should boost...get a used engine for 1000$ and all the internals for about 1300...about 300 to a machine shop to bore and hone and balance everything in the motor (which makes it basically a brand new motor for all intents and purposes) and now ur up to about 3000$ and with the other 4000 buy a hiboost turbo kit :)

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Or I am guessing he just needs this fixed as cheaply as possible and doesn't care all that much about adding performance for several extra grand.

I would try to source a used engine. $7000 sounds to high...even a new engine plus labor should not run that much (new or factory refurbished from Mazda really should not run more then about $3000-4000 plus maybe $1500 in labor). You might want to shop to somewhere else for the cost to replace the engine.

It is possible it was an oil filter cover that failed...it has happened from being over tightened. Do you do your own oil changes or someone else do them for you? If someone else I would be starting to think about hunting them down and hitting them up from the replacement engine (if it is the dealership persue the angle that they caused this...I would suggest trying to take it somewhere else and have them look at it as well for a second opinion...especially a second opinion where the first one might be coming from the people who caused the problem). Anyway, don't take what I said and run with it...just check it out because that is what could have happened.
-Matt

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If you maintained the car, and it isnt full with mods and you maybe spent some money at the dealer before (other maintance). I think there is a good chance you will get it replaced under warranty. Or at least half price. I worked at a dealer and a few times people came in just over warranty and they still get it done under warranty. Its at the dealers and morer importantly Mazda's discretion. Just tell them you are on the forum and yoiu would like to announce that Mazda went above and beyond and that others should rest assured that Mazda will stand behind the current and the future Mazda's they buy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE...

SO after the techs at the dealership looked at my car, they told me that the oil was changed improperly and it caused the oil housing to crack, which caused the engine to fail (apparently cold morning plus hot oil plus cracked plastic equals boom) I have pictures that i will post whenever i can of the housing.

it is obvious that the guy who changed the oil took a oil wrench and tightened the cap back on. there are HUGE teeth marks on the plastic and it caused a leak.

SO the good news is that the insurance of the oil well (place who changed my oil last 2 times) has looked at the car and they are deciding if they are going to accept full responsibility, plus the techs at the dealership have confirmed that it was their fault, so i have the dealership on my side.

Its nice to know that i dont have to worry about the warranty just expiring being an issue. It definately sucks that these idiots messed up my car, but at least i get a new engine and i shouldnt have to pay for a dime.

so far its been almost 2 weeks and still no real news.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts