Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning (7am) I go out to my car to leave for work and I notice some pieces of electrical tape on the floor underneath the rear passenger wheel. So, I'm like "what the hell did the dog eat now?" Last week she chewed through the pull cord on my brand new lawn mower. When I went to start it, I'm left with the plastic thingy in my hand! :mad: So, then I notice a cable hanging from underneath the bumper. After letting out a few :rtfm: and "I'm going to kill you"s I realize its electrical. All dressed up for work I'm on my knees looking up and underneath the car to see where this wire goes to. I notice a plug looking thing underneath the floor of the trunk/wheel well area. I open the trunk and see the cable comes up through there, crosses over the spare tire and off to who knows where. I have to get to work and drop off my little girl. GREAT! I get my 4 year old out of bed, and have her sit in the driver's seat and press on the break pedal. Break lights work. Ok.... Car starts up fine.. Ok... So, I take the hanging wires and with some electrical tape, sick them to the inside of the bumper until I get off work and can check it out better. 6pm, I realize that I have a tail light out. Ah,ha thats where those wires go! Go to Pep boys looking for some wires so I can mend it up. Pep Boys guy comes out to the car to help me with it. Its starting to get dark now. We get a flashlight, tape etc. mend the wires inside the trunk...
then we mend the ones underneath the car...
the whole while, tunring on and off the lights and it won't work. I say, let me check the bulb. Get a spare that I have, change that out... Still won't come on. After about 30-40 min, its dark, I'm still in my work blouse etc, hands all black from the bottom of the car, I decide to quit and try again in the morning. Here is where I notice that the licence plate lights are not working either! :mad: SHIT! Now, with my luck I will get stopped. Get in the car, turn on headlights and notice that the blue lights on the gauges are not working either! Or the lights that light up the A/c knobs. WTF??
Did my Dog damage that much?? Or did I?? Maybe I crossed the wires and blew a fuse?? I don't know. And I don't know who else to ask for help. Dad's out of town.... DUBS... also too far away.
SO........... any suggestions??
I tried looking for a wiring guide for the tail lights to see if maybe she completely stripped a wire that I am missing. Or is it a fuse? I checked the relays under the hood, nothing there for the tails/rear lights. I am going to check the ones under the glove box in the morning.
Any help from you electrical pros would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
p.s. I know the wiring in the pics is not connected. Just some pics to show where the dog broke the wiring at.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
dora!! don't forget she also ate my sandals /flipflops/chanqletas...lol dora eats anything, we got her this big bone and she finished it off in about a night.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She had plenty to play with.. I rotate out her toys so that she won't eat things she isn't supposed to.. :wtc:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I believe those wires go to the license plates lights. Since other lights are not working, I suspect that the wires were shorted in the process. I'm thinking that it's the fuse associated with the license plate lights (which are probably tied to other lights). This fuse is located underneath the glovebox. Once you get access to them, I believe it's a 7.5A fuse, located on the middle row, fourth from the left.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed it!!!!​
:klavergreg:​

I rewired the licence plate lights and then checked the fuses and yup, there were 2 that were blown. #46 for the right tail light/license plate light and #82? for the instrument panel. Both 7.5, I took the one from the rear defroster and used it for the lights until I can get to the store to buy some more. SHIT, my hands hurt. (No extras in my fuse box :? )
Took about 45 min. But its WAY better than taking it to someone and paying them way too much for something simple. And I did it myself!!! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
thats what beagles do, they destroy things. . .

lemme guess though, she's cute enough that you've already forgiven her

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was starting to forgive her... until.... I was in the car, hot and frustrated underneath the dash looking for the right fuse and she decided to jump into the car, thinking she was going somewhere. :mad: She's still on my shit list for now.... :wink:

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
probably just didn't want to be left alone, I know my beagle has terrible seperation anxiety, whenever he even has the hint that my wife and I are leaving, he heads straight for the door, as if to say "you're not going anywhere without me!"

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She does love getting attention. I can come home from work late at night and she is so excited to see me and wanting to play fetch. Its breaks my heart sometimes, I am exhausted and she wants to play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts