Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 hatch 2.3L with 15K miles. I got it 6 months ago with about 200 miles on it. Since i've gotten it i noticed a black deposit coming out of my exhaust and staining the bottom of my exhaust tip. I took it to a dealer, and they said it was "normal"(right, ok, sure). Now i have a two-tone exhaust tip (flat black/chrome) and it won't wash off. Then the oher day i checked my oil to make sure it was ok since i haven't been able to change my oil in the last 8,000 miles. The oil barly even registered on the dipstick!! This is my first new car, as i've had plenty of used ones before. These issues are something i'de expect from a used car wither over 100K miles on it. I think i could have a bad piston ring, and could be burning oil. I need proffessional advice on this matter on what i should do. Am I just over reacting, is this really "normal" or is there something terribly wrong here???

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
black carbon deposits on the exhaust is normal. some stainless polish or cleaner wax will remove it.

oil level reading is difficult on the 3 (dipstick sucks), so have it checked to be sure...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the best procedure to getting an accuratereading? run car first, don't run and let sit for a while, ect.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=phear86 link=topic=72383.msg1276282#msg1276282 date=1174320280]
what is the best procedure to getting an accuratereading? run car first, don't run and let sit for a while, ect.
[/quote]

you manual should outline the proper procedures but in general you should:
1) warm up the car to normal operating temps
2) turn off the car and wait 5 minutes or so for all the oil to drain into the oil pan.
3) check the oil level

Problems with the 3 is the light oil and smooth dipstick makes it hard to see the oil, unless it's dirty...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was dirty, but it was also still a little difficult. My previous oil change was done by mazda, but i will be doing my next one. Should i convert to synthetic, would this reduce the deposits.

And by-the-way, thanx for the quick and very helpful responses john. you can also call me jon, but without the "h".

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
jury's out on the dino vs synthetics...

I use Mobil1 because of slightly better protection (although considering my driving conditions it's prolly not really necessary). My dealer offers it and since I am not on a tight budget, I pay the extra....

imo, regular oil is prolly fine if you don't drive hard and you change it regularly....but I never listen to my own advice...lol :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, and about the low oil. If it was an accurate reading, and the oil was VERY low after 8K miles, is this normal? or could that be an indicator of a potential problem? I do ALOT of driving as you can see(over 14K miles in 6 months!), and 90% it's fast, and hard, so i guess i could just be burning the oil, what's your opinion?

·
Registered
704 Posts
You definetely need to be checking the oil level more regularly, :klavergreg: after 8k is just way too long.
Ideally at every fillup of gas, if not then at least every couple, with that you would know when the right time to add oil or if you may need some soon to pick some up. I dont want to start preaching but cmon show your 3 some luvin and It will love you back. lol

The oil stick will measure .75 qt between bottom and top of xxxxx marks on stick, anywhere in there your good by the manual, you dont want to overfill so make sure car is level.. like at a gas station and wait the 5-10 minutes for all oil to drain to pan. If you were down a qt after 8k that sounds about right to me, that would put you close to the bottom of stick. I do 3k oil changes every 3 months and havent had to add much probably 1qt total in 24k miles.

I would go so far to say the oil level is more important than changing it often, adding oil to keep full will not only protect the engine but will add life to the oil already in the car. I have seen engines opened that were really neglected and probably hadnt seen an oil change in 30k+, and yuck, it looks like tar stuck everywhere in the motor but that takes a long time to get there. lots of serious neglect.

The longer you beat up the oil its going to drop in level, thats just... normal. There are late model cars out there that normally require quarts in between oil changes. Usually bigger motors, the 3 shouldnt use much oil, If you plan on extending the oil change to 7500 plus on a regular basis I would definetely use the syntetic oil, as per the manual 4 months 5k for heavy usage or 6 months 7.5k for light. It sounds like you should changing every 4 months 5k/miles by your use of the car, not following at least the basic maintenance can void your warranty on the engine.. so be careful. Even with synthetic you still have to regularly check the oil evel and add if necessary. oh and the exhaust.. yes thats normal .. I have same thing carbon on exhaust as do many others.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn that carbon deposit is annoying, but i know what you mean. I've always used cars with 120K, 200K, and even bought one w/ 260k+ (a grand prix, but it purred like a kitten!) and i've seen the neglect ppl put these cars through. I now i shouldn't do that, but unfortunantly i've been broker than broke, with barely enough to put gas in my car, so thats why i did it. But don't worry things are better now, and i heavily apologized to "scarlet". She was still pissed, but she got over it (i know. i'm crazy, i taik to my own car). anyways, i gave ita tune up now, with mobile1 5-20w, so its good now. thanks alot for the help too, i feel alot better now. And i'll try to keep up with it a every 3k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts