Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh... i'm so mad at myself right now. so yesterday i lost control of the car and fell into a ditch on the side of the road. the mazda has front and rear bumper damage and it looks like there's also damage to the suspension because as i drove the car (after the accident) going up the driveway, i heard a screeching sound when the rear wheels hit the bump. the left side to be exact. also, when i was driving it, i took my hands off the steering wheel and let it go about 1.5 k rpms and it went straight. but my dad will probably redo the alignment. and under the car there's no structural damage to the chasis but there's huge scratches on the suspension. and definitely i have to replace the front and back bumpers. there's also a lot of dirt under the car and i think the exhaust system might be affected. there's a chance the exhaust piping is now misaligned. but i cannot see any brake fluid left. i just got home from school and havent taken a look at the car, but i'll take a look and try to find any leaking fluids and give you an update. also, i dont think there's any damage to the engine bay, only the bumper. and the reason the front bumper is damaged is because it got stuck on the dirt as they were pulling it out. do you think theres anything wrong with the engine/transmission compartment? oh yea, from a quick inspection, the fluid levels are all unaffected as of last night, but the brake fluid seems to be empty. why is that? could i have severed the tubes or something?

AND THE MAJOR QUESTION I WANT TO ASK IS WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO TO GET THE CAR TO TIP TOP SHAPE AGAIN? MONEY IS NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE BECAUSE THE INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR EVERYTHING.

i learned alot from this, and from this point on, i'm gonna baby my car and i promised to it to not drive it hard or corner it hard anymore.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i also forgot to ask where do i take it to do inspections? is the dealership good? and they are probably the best to get the job done, right?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Take it to a quality repair shop (look online for reviews of local shops or ask around) and have them look it over. They do it day in and day out so they should be able to tell you what all is damaged. As far as the drivetrain is concerned, if you can't see anything wrong visually, you'll just need to drive it to see if anything makes itself known.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the dealership good? where can i go to get an all around inspection... as in body work, and drivetrain inspection and supension and stuff?

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
get it towed, dont drive it.

take it to a shop with a good reputation adn you'llbe fine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=138476.msg2984355#msg2984355 date=1236645678]
get it towed, dont drive it.
[/quote]

Just for clarification, when I said to drive it, I meant after the bumper/cosmetic stuff is repaired. Again, if a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything, driving it should.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so are both of you saying that i should get it towed to the place to redo drivetrain work and then after that, drive it to a place to do body work and if it looks driveable, i could drive it short distances to the reputable shops? could i take it to the dealer? will the dealer do good work? because isnt that the place where you want to go for body work since they have access to real Mazda OEM parts?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I would just get it towed to a reputable body shop. I'm sure they know enough to do a visual inspection on the drivetrain. If you take it to the dealer, they are just going to send it off to some other body shop. Personally, I'd rather pick my own body shop, especially considering the reputation stealerships have.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay. so after i take it to a body shop, they are only gonna do the cosmetic damage right? what do i do about the suspension damage and the axle damage and the rest of the drivetrain?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Just let the body shop assess the damage. That is what they do. They see banged up cars every day! As I said, just find a reputable one and they should take care of ya! Good luck!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another question..... Do auto body shops also do work on the drivetrain/suspension? and what do i need to look out for when searching for a shop?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm pretty sure the body shops can do that work, or have a repair facility they work with or is on site.

You can also do leg work on getting pricing from any junkyards in the area. Here in my area we have a Barely used Autoparts service that contracts with junkyards to match up items. These aren't all beat up parts, but parts taken from junked cars that are in good shape.

Once on a previous car, my door was crunched. average quote from 3 places was $250 for a new door (in addition to other repairs). I called the barely used place and was able to price a door at $100. However, i ended up repairing at the dealer (they had a body shop and didn't contract anywhere) and they were able to repair the door, so it was a moot point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts