Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Going tomorrow to pick up the 2023 Mazda 3 (Select model). Due to family size I had to sell my 2003 Miata. Loved that car. But excited to driving a new Mazda. Quick question, anyone figure out how to disable the cylinder deactivation?

Secondly, anyone have success in putting in an oil catch can? Trying to keep the valves clean with the direct injection.

Thanks!

· Registered
284 Posts
Hello all! Going tomorrow to pick up the 2023 Mazda 3 (Select model). Due to family size I had to sell my 2003 Miata. Loved that car. But excited to driving a new Mazda. Quick question, anyone figure out how to disable the cylinder deactivation?

Secondly, anyone have success in putting in an oil catch can? Trying to keep the valves clean with the direct injection.

Thanks!
Both will have a direct effect on your Mazda warranty. As well depending on where you live some states and countries frown on adding even a catch can to what is part of the emission system. So if you do either make sure to remove them anytime you much visit a Mazda Service department.
The CorkSport Catch Can takes about 2-3 hours to install with basic DIY tools and at least some experience installing aftermarket parts but not necessarily needed.
The cylinder deactivation is complicated and not advised at this point. But you can check with any companies that may be offering in the future like Versa Tune the capacity to enter the ECU and adjust that area? But you would need to contact them and discuss it.

· Registered
563 Posts
From what I've surmised the Skyactiv direct injection engines have not been terribly prone to carbon buildup on the valves, compared to say, a VW engine. We have over 200,000 miles on our 2012 2.0 Skyactiv and have never done anything for the valves and it runs like new.

· Registered
284 Posts
Yet the service is done all over the US on Mazda 's "skyavtiv" engines that have the carbon build up. Honestly you can not compare a VW engine to other make engine when talking about what all the carbon build up may be. Its just something that should be watched especially when the engine is close to losing the Warranty. Prudent preventative or action in a simply having it looked at is never a waste of time or money.
Your engine David I am sure because you say...runs like new was well cared for.

· Registered
2022 Mazda 3 Premium 2.5 NA
5 Posts
Ohh you’ll like it, congrats. I got my first ever Mazda two months ago. A 22 prem sedan. Most fun car I’ve ever driven. Also light years more advanced. Handles like a dream, rides like silk even on cali’s beat up, neglected roads. Mine has the 2.5 N/A, and I don’t think it has the cylinder deactivation, nor the auto shut off/on(thank gawd, never really liked those operations). Or if it does, I can’t notice it.

· Registered
40 Posts
Ohh you’ll like it, congrats. I got my first ever Mazda two months ago. A 22 prem sedan. Most fun car I’ve ever driven. Also light years more advanced. Handles like a dream, rides like silk even on cali’s beat up, neglected roads. Mine has the 2.5 N/A, and I don’t think it has the cylinder deactivation, nor the auto shut off/on(thank gawd, never really liked those operations). Or if it does, I can’t notice it.
I have 2019. Look under functions in the menu. You have cylinder deactivtion. You can watch the screen and see when numbers one and four are deactivated. I can't feel it either even when I can see it happening as it doesn't happen when accelerating or at higher speeds. I don't think Mazda did auto shutoff. Maybe after 2019. I hope not. We have it on an F-150. Fortunately they also put a large button right in your face to turn it off.

· Registered
2022 Mazda 3 Premium 2.5 NA
5 Posts
I have 2019. Look under functions in the menu. You have cylinder deactivtion. You can watch the screen and see when numbers one and four are deactivated. I can't feel it either even when I can see it happening as it doesn't happen when accelerating or at higher speeds. I don't think Mazda did auto shutoff. Maybe after 2019. I hope not. We have it on an F-150. Fortunately they also put a large button right in your face to turn it off.
I don’t have anything regarding the cylinders on my screen

· Registered
563 Posts
Yet the service is done all over the US on Mazda 's "skyavtiv" engines that have the carbon build up. Honestly you can not compare a VW engine to other make engine when talking about what all the carbon build up may be. Its just something that should be watched especially when the engine is close to losing the Warranty. Prudent preventative or action in a simply having it looked at is never a waste of time or money.
Your engine David I am sure because you say...runs like new was well cared for.
Maybe it is, I just haven't heard of it being as much of a problem on the Mazda engine as the others that share this design. As for ours, no extraordinary care, but always changed oil about every 10,000 miles with synthetic and a new filter. I know 10,000 mile change intervals will make some people cringe, but it has worked exceptionally well for me, with the lone exception of a 2.3 that spun a bearing at around 200,000 miles. However, the "garbage 2.3" is so well known for doing this that there is a cottage industry of 2.5 engine swaps for those cars, and Mazda ditched the 2.3 years ago.

· Registered
284 Posts
David3. Honestly for someone like you 10k miles oil service I can understand. You are a little more "hands on" to keeping up on maintenance then most so I am sure if you saw something going on with your chosen service intervals you would have acted to correct the issue before it became a serious problem.
As for the carbon issue it more a problem than most think. It just that the majority of problems like most things about vehicle's are not reported or posted on the internet and forums. In the service world it on going with all makes and model DI engines.

· Registered
40 Posts
Prior to this discussion, I was unfamiliar with oil catch cans. I've done some reading and at now least know what they are. So, are there any potential problems other than expense and the need to be sure one buys a proper one as opposed to an empty shell? Or is the worst result simply that they may not be as beneficial as sometimes stated? I understand the argument about getting people who won't even change their oil to empty the catch can on time. I'm not one of those people. I am one of those that David mentioned. It was all I could do to go from 3000 mi oil changes to 5000. I've tried to make myself do even 7,500 but just can't. And it's all just habit. But then I've been changing oil since 1964 so it's a little hard to break.

· Registered
284 Posts
Many that are offered not directly applicated may restrict the PCV CFM flow which could potentially affect the overall engine operation and or cause unforeseen problems down the road as miles accumulate? If they are universal or have multiple same applications, I would be cautious of using them. On the breather side as well.

Unless there are serious PCV system problems seldom do they get full in 10k-20k miles. The exception may be with high mileage engine in excess of 100K miles or those that have auto manufacture concerns for oil use which could be considered abnormal? .
The beneficial results have so many "depends on" that NO not all of them work as claimed or at all on any engine they are used on. IMHO Can-Cans are one of those parts that some will spend a few hundred dollars on and naturally will always state they worked. No one once to really admit blowing a "C" note or more on one and not have results. ha!
I run 2 on my Mazda PCV and breather CorkSport for the PCV system and a universal both are modified by me internally. But I also modified my intake manifold. The CorkSport is a complete kit straight forward and easy detailed installation instruction for any DIY or professional service shop to install in about a 2 hours and as is nice set-up.

If it makes you feel better, I religiously still change my vehicles oil and filter at 3k miles. For me since about 1977 ;)

· Registered
40 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I religiously still change my vehicles oil and filter at 3k miles. For me since about 1977 ;)
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. It does. But then my daughter and I changed the valve cover gasket on the 08 when I gave it to her at 150+000 mi and what we saw indicated that it was time well spent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts