Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which hella projectors people are using for the fog lights? and other materials needed for the retrofit.Thanks

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Why are people so damned impatient on answers? Especially when you can search and find your answer (I know, I've stated the answer to your question several times as I've done the mod). Some of us don't live on the forums.

Now, with that said I am using the 90mm Hella low-beam projectors. They just released a 60mm projector that may bit a bit better and is very similiar to the projector fog lights on several Ford cars. Check rallylights.com and go to Hella>Lighting Modules.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You have to give him credit, he did wait an entire week before replying to it again, even though, just like you said he could have found it with a search. As for the 90mm Projectors, were they any easy at all? I was thinking about TL projectors, or the MDX projectors, but am still a bit shakey.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
No, they were a bitch to fab up. The protective glass cover is the exact same diameter as the OE black plastic housing.

I would suggest the Hella 60mm (about $50 each from rallylights.com which is the same as the 90mm) and forgo the glass cover, projector lenses are very tough and not as susceptible to breaking or cracking. Also, unlike using projectors from a headlight...these are pretty well sealed and mine have taken the abuse for about 2 years now (including severe winter weather driving). The 60mm would be even better for the sedans.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So Hella 60mm -> Easy install, 90mm -> a bitch to install? Any special bracketry needed, and is there an H11 HID projector out there, so I don't have to replace my HID bulbs? I have a total of 2 sets of H11 3000K HID's that I don't want to go to waste.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
H9, you could just get new bulbs. I'd go with EBay bulbs since they're auxiliary lights and you won't have to rely on them as much (it's what I did and again, 2 years later they work well and still match my OEM HID's 4300k color).

The 60mm uses a 9005 bulb.

Yes you would have to make your own brackets, I got some scrap sheet metal strips (holes already drilled) from Home Depot and bent those accordingly.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I have no clue, I'm sure you could search a bit (even on Google) and find your answer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
im in a similar situation as you.. i got h11 hid kit and right now its on my stock fog housing.. searching for a projector housing also came across this 60mm hella somewhere... whats stopping me is that it says it takes 9005 bulbs ...trying to find answers as to how would my h11 hid fit in there......

if my understanding is correct.. h11 means the plug not the bulb type.. the hid bulb itself is d2s.. so it would fit in the projector just the plug won't fit?...

[quote author=04Mazda3Sport link=topic=136914.msg2973635#msg2973635 date=1236110623]
So Hella 60mm -> Easy install, 90mm -> a bitch to install? Any special bracketry needed, and is there an H11 HID projector out there, so I don't have to replace my HID bulbs? I have a total of 2 sets of H11 3000K HID's that I don't want to go to waste.
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=vroom then zoom link=topic=136914.msg2974637#msg2974637 date=1236139733]
im in a similar situation as you.. i got h11 hid kit and right now its on my stock fog housing.. searching for a projector housing also came across this 60mm hella somewhere... whats stopping me is that it says it takes 9005 bulbs ...trying to find answers as to how would my h11 hid fit in there......

if my understanding is correct.. h11 means the plug not the bulb type.. the hid bulb itself is d2s.. so it would fit in the projector just the plug won't fit?...

[/quote]

D2S is a type of bulb, just like H11 and 9005 are types of bulbs. The plugs are often different as well as the size of the bulb. Unfortunately the only specs are hard to compare.

H9 bulb:

H11 bulb:

9005 bulb:

D2S bulb:

If you want projectors, order them. And then see if your bulbs work or don't work. If they don't, sell them on the forum and buy an EBay (or equally cheap) HID kit that will fit the projectors.

Now, does anyone need their hand held while crossing the street too? :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that would probably look pretty good, are you going to keep them close together in the middle? like the mustangs look pretty good. good luck post some pics when your done

·
Registered
173 Posts
Back from the dead.....

I have been searching for fog light retrofit information and this post was the most valueable I could find. I am interested in using the 60mm Hella lamp Texnthree reccomends. How did you afix it into the OEM housing?

The previous owner of my 05 hatch took the fogs, housings and all. I refuse to pay 150+ each for the oem units and think I can make somthing better. I found the lampless housings on eBay and am looking for advice.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Use some thin sheetmetal strips, and bend/cut that to work with the projectors and your housings It's the best I can say.

I've seen the OEM fog lights go for about $100 shipped on Ebay. If you're interested in housings, I could sell you mine (silver rings is painted black), as I want to get some grill inserts where the fog lights go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-Mazda-3-Hatch-Vent-Grille-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ce903cd5dQQitemZ330326855005QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also, keep an eye out for these kind of auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Mazda-3-foglight-fog-lamp-light-Right-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45eee7646fQQitemZ300360885359QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'd be interested in knowing if the projectors that several Ford models use, would fit. They look to be similiar to the Hella 60mm...not sure who Ford's supplier is though, might be Hella or Bosch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts