Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Since some of you have already started on your installs, I was wondering if anyone out there knows the actual amount of space in terms of height is available under the passenger and driver seats.

Considering sticking a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC wOOx sub under one seat and my amp under the other.

I've yet to collect my 3 yet (3 weeks time according to my dealer) and I can get a pretty good deal on the Kenwood but I have to buy it now, so I can't wait till the car comes to get the measurements done. Don't wanna buy it then discover that it won't fit when the car arrives.

Any help in this area would be welcome. BTW the sub should be about 4 5/8" tall, I think.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
There wont be enough height for the sub. I think max is somewhere around 2.8~3.2". But the amp will fit as long as its not wider than your seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn It

vaBooM said:
There wont be enough height for the sub. I think max is somewhere around 2.8~3.2". But the amp will fit as long as its not wider than your seat.
Hey thanks for the reply vaBooM. So I guess I won't be able to stick the sub under the seat.

BTW, have you had anyexperience with these subs? I'm kinda only looking for some SQ not SPL. and I need the the space in the trunk for the stuff I cart around frequently.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lol sorry to jack ure thread baaz, but what is SQ and SPL?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funkyfreshmonke said:
lol sorry to jack ure thread baaz, but what is SQ and SPL?
SQ = Sound Quality?
SPL= Sound Pressure Level?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Your right. But there is one more... SQL. Its a mix between SQ and SPL, but I dont think the letters mean anything.

Sound Quality Level maybe... nto sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vaBooM said:
BTW vaBooM, these measurements are for the driver's side only or for both front seats? I know that on my current protege, there's less height under the driver's seat (about half overall) cos of the seat adjustment mechanism. Plus the kenwood KSC-WA62RC just about fits under a friend's protege (passenger seat only).

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Test fit! Im taking a guess.. and I measured it once to see how much room is under there. My measurements are approxiamated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vaBooM said:
Test fit! Im taking a guess.. and I measured it once to see how much room is under there. My measurements are approxiamated.
Oh shoot!

Looks like I'm gonna have to pass up on the deal then. Thanks for the help though. Maybe I really should just bite the bullet and get a proper sub in the trunk. Just can't win them all. :lol:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Plenty, but you do lose a little bit of room. May be in your best interest to do a fiberglass box residing in the spare tire well. Yes, you do lose the spare, but nothing a cell phone and Mazda roadside to solve that one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it!!

Hi guys, just to keep you all posted.

THERE IS JUST ENOUGH SPACE under the passenger seat for the Kenwood wOOx sub... got it installed a couple of days ago. The carpet under the seat isn't completely flat and it moves around abit, so I had to secure it using mounting tape between the carpet and the floor. I've velcroed the sub to the carpet in case I decide to move it. My amp now resides under the driver's seat, and my Infinity Reference 6000cs in the doors. I've left the stock speakers in the rear doors for lack of funds. A four channel LOC resides tucked away behind the HU.

Thanks vaBooM for the help and kudos to your step by step guide. It was a great help.

As for the sound, don't expect pounding bass, coz the sub's really small, but for those looking to add a little depth to the sound, it helps alot in that department. Response goes down to about 30Hz although the spec says 20Hz. Turn it too far up and it starts to fart. :) But set at 60Hz low pass, it does a fine job of keeping up with the Jazz House music I enjoy.

I have a question for vaBooM:

My amp's level controls (Sony XM504) has a centre notch at the 12o'clock position. I am supposing that that position is at 0dB gain. Am I wrong? The sound levels are alot louder coming from the LOC than from my old 323's Kenwood HU. Although I hear no discernable distortion or clipping, I'm worried that I'm pushing my amp too hard. What do you guys think!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hey baaz
Just curious if you ran into any problems with the wOOX and the little heater duct under the passenger seat... Any other tricks necessary to hook it up? I'd be quite happy to know that the wOOx will fit... my order to Crutchfield is awaiting...
Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
loudboxer said:
Hey baaz
Just curious if you ran into any problems with the wOOX and the little heater duct under the passenger seat... Any other tricks necessary to hook it up? I'd be quite happy to know that the wOOx will fit... my order to Crutchfield is awaiting...
Ryan
Hey loudboxer..... don't quite know what you mean by the 'heater duct' under the passenger seat. Maybe my car's of a different spec (euro 1.6L). Anyway, there's this wiring harness for sensing the presense of a passenger for the airbag that has to be moved out of the way, but that's about it. It JUST fits... not much allowance.....
Just take the feed from the LOC or tap the speaker lines and you're set. Remember, this is a really tiny sub... can't play loud.... it's just for filling in a little bass...

·
Registered
44 Posts
baaz said:
loudboxer said:
don't quite know what you mean by the 'heater duct' under the passenger seat.
Our cars here in the states have a small heater duct under each seat on the floor for the rear passengers. It's small and low profile and feels like it could be easily removed. I have my amp installed under my seat and created two "rails" to mount it to, so the amp is over the duct.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the installation? I don't want to add a big box to the trunk, so something that could fit under the front seat would be great.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I likewise don't need a huge sub in the trunk to rattle my windows, but would like a sub installed to highlight the entire range of the music I listen to, so not wasting trunk space and getting a sub under a seat would be pretty cool.

Pics would rock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
baaz said:
Hey loudboxer..... don't quite know what you mean by the 'heater duct' under the passenger seat. Maybe my car's of a different spec (euro 1.6L). Anyway, there's this wiring harness for sensing the presense of a passenger for the airbag that has to be moved out of the way, but that's about it. It JUST fits... not much allowance.....
Just take the feed from the LOC or tap the speaker lines and you're set. Remember, this is a really tiny sub... can't play loud.... it's just for filling in a little bass...
Yeah, those little ducts stick up from the floor and are about 1" tall by 4" wide. They pump air to the rear passenger's feet.

If the wOOx fits, that's all it needs to do. I don't suppose it's boomy enough to annoy the butt-cheeks of the passenger, then, eh?

Anyhow, my wOOx arrives tomorrow, along with a full set of Infinity Kappas (6.5 components f, 5x7 coax r). I couldn't find anywhere within reasonable driving distance to hear some Focals or CDT's, so went for a good deal through Crutchfield. Install will go this weekend, assuming my daughter doesn't hide the pliers or I run into wiring issues beyond my meager car audio experience. I'll take pics as well, for you folks thinking of going the humble audio-upgrade route.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heliotropic said:
Do you have any pictures of the installation? I don't want to add a big box to the trunk, so something that could fit under the front seat would be great.
Sorry, don't have any pics.... but I think I know what you mean by the heater ducts... although my hatch doesn't have the ducts physically, the carpet under the passenger seat does have these humps.... I was wondering what they were for..... silly me....

Anyway, I mounted the wOOx sideways (the 2 drivers along the width of the car) under the seat firing upwards... as far forward as possible.... this means that if the seat is pushed all the way back, a little bit of the sub will show... but I've found that this position allows full movement of the seat, fore and aft..... I left the remote controller velcroed onto the carpet under the seat so that I can get to it easily but hide it away from prying eyes.

and YES... my wife does get a pretty good butt massage when the volume is turned way up.... ... but that's only with bass heavy music.... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts