Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done an LED conversion on their headlights on a 2014 or 2015 3? I am eyeing these at Amazon since the reviews seem to be pretty good, but wanted to see if anybody had any experience doing this before taking the plunge.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
One of these days I will be able to trust these generic LED lights.

The major issue, they do not, and can not replicate the location of the halogen output location wise, so you always, always end up with the beam being more weak and spread out than what the OEM bulb can do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My opinion, dont do it, go with a HID kit instead. You will be much happier in the long run and no one will ever know that you have HID versus LED.

When purchasing a cheap set of LED's you are going to have mechanical problems in the long run. Technology for these are pretty new and they are coming up with many creative marketing strategies to sell them, IE, saying they put out 7k lumens. LED is obviously the big buzz word right now but that is more in residential/commercial lighting. I think Acura does LED but you will notice that they have 6 bulbs in each headlight. That is because LED's don't put out the same lumens as a conventional HID system will. Its comparing apples and oranges as I understand it. Notice in a few of the reviews that people are saying that the output is less than desirable? They claim that the cutoff of the light is great, well that pertains to your projector lights, not the bulbs necessarily.

PS - your post relates to "Exterior Lighting" and should be in the appropriate area. Check in there, I asked the same question about Xenon Depot LED's and got a great response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS - your post relates to "Exterior Lighting" and should be in the appropriate area. Check in there, I asked the same question about Xenon Depot LED's and got a great response.
Thanks, I looked for a lighting category but totally missed it. See it now!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very welcome! I was looking at the same thing since I would love the look of those Acura's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My opinion, dont do it, go with a HID kit instead. You will be much happier in the long run and no one will ever know that you have HID versus LED.

But a big problem with HIDs is you either have to pay big bucks for a reputable brand of bulb or you risk buying bulbs that don't use UV cut glass then eventually end up with yellow discoloured lenses.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
But a big problem with HIDs is you either have to pay big bucks for a reputable brand of bulb or you risk buying bulbs that don't use UV cut glass then eventually end up with yellow discoloured lenses.
Never had an issue with my $30 kit, ran it for 3-4 years without issue before selling the car.... and if I had issues, I could have bought 2 more kits, and it still would have been cheaper than buying the expensive ones. But yes, obviously there is more risk with cheap kits, but what I have learned the hard way is that expensive is not always better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have both a cheap kit and a "more expensive" kit. I am equally impressed with both of them. What I would suggest you do is find one that at least has a warranty on the ballasts for 1 year. These are what is expensive, the bulbs can be interchanged with cheaper ones if they burn out.

My "expensive one" is the Morimoto's from TheRetrofitSource.com. I got the 5500k Elite ballasts/bulbs and they are superb. They ran about $150 but email them and ask them if they have any discounts for a first time buyer. They will probably give you 10% or free shipping. 2015 model is a H11b I believe but verify when you email about coupon.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h11.html#.Vu_7IuIrKUk

I also purchase the Inovitted from Amazon for my fogs. I have also installed these in my GF's CX-5 and what a difference it makes. Very high quality and if you just email the seller right when you get them saying that one of the bulbs doesnt work, they will send you a second set immediately free of charge. I would highly recommend these if you are looking to spend less than $100.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJ8L6BK/ref=sr_rp_1?m=A1DBJQIFEVJ34V&ie=UTF8&qid=1458567798&sr=sr-1&keywords=HID+kits

1 - 8 of 8 Posts