Mazda3 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to headlights. I have a 08 3 itouring. I was looking on replacing my stock bulb for a 6000k 35w (http://www.apexcone.com/ap55wwesa.html). How many watts does the Mazda3 stock bulb have? I was also wondering what the ballasts are used for, and if I need them to install my HIDS, or should I just go for the bulb? Also can I go 55w without the ballasts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Since your car only has Halogen bulbs from the factory, you will need the correct ballasts to run HIDs. Just getting bulbs will not work; buying a complete kit is the only way to go. Several of our forum sponsors have great deals going on for HID kits right now, check them out!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Installing HID's involves installing a "system". Each bulb requires it's own ballast. You can't swap out a bulb for a bulb. If you're in the city, I recommend getting a 6000K 35W kit. Anything over 6000k will give you more of a blue color, but not as bright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=calidude link=topic=136574.msg2943674#msg2943674 date=1234918571]
Installing HID's involves installing a "system". Each bulb requires it's own ballast. You can't swap out a bulb for a bulb. If you're in the city, I recommend getting a 6000K 35W kit. Anything over 6000k will give you more of a blue color, but not as bright.
[/quote]

I'd like a blue light, kind of like of a BMW. As far as brightness goes, would the 6000k 35w kit be on par as my stock light? Would I order a H7 or D2S?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
You will need H7.

Don't expect your kit to compare to BMW or other higher-end models. They use projectors that are much more complex then those on the 3. 6k have some blue, 8k have more but less light output.

There is plenty of information and pictures in the exterior lighting sticky's.

Forgot to welcome you to the forum! You should add your location to your profile. This makes it easier to answer some questions as well as to meet up with members in your area if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=136574.msg2943828#msg2943828 date=1234922407]
You will need H7.

Don't expect your kit to compare to BMW or other higher-end models. They use projectors that are much more complex then those on the 3. 6k have some blue, 8k have more but less light output.

There is plenty of information and pictures in the exterior lighting sticky's.

Forgot to welcome you to the forum! You should add your location to your profile. This makes it easier to answer some questions as well as to meet up with members in your area if you're so inclined.
[/quote]

Awesome thanks! I've learned so much already from this forum, and I'm only headlights :shock:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
That's great! We're all here to help. Just take plenty of time to browse the forum. You'll learn your way around and discover ton's of amazing things to do to your 3.

Just be careful, it's addicting! :)

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Welcome. Daniel seems to have answered your questions. Also please check out the stickied topics about HIDs in the exterior lighting, and the ext. lighting FAQ section as they'll help you understand the technology.

As this is a pretty well covered topic I'll close this thread.

Again, welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.