Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after not wanting to shell out $25+ shipping for a timer/trigger module, i set out to make my own custom timer that wouldn't be as overkill.
Using only 3 components, 1 Cap, 1 Resistor and 1 transistor i made this circuit.
http://www.circuitdb.com/circuits/id/93

After wiring everything into the car, i tried to test it. Basically when the trigger wire goes to +12v, the capacitor charges and slowly discharges through the transistor which flips the relay for a custom amount of time decided by altering the resistor/capacitor, which i made ~45 seconds.

When i connect the trigger wire to +12 of the car, the timer works for 45 seconds and keeps the headlights on.

The Problem:
What i want is to tap into the +12 of the parking lights, so upon using the remote to unlock/lock the car, the headlights would stay on for 45 seconds, then turn off..

However, and here is the problem, when i hit the unlock key, the relay trips on and off with the parking flash, and no longer stays on.

This leads me to believe, and i dont know any better, that when the parking light and signals +12 are not active, they are grounded, and that causes the capacitor to discharge.

I already know that just connecting the wire to +12v manually makes the timer function, and to the parking light, it flips on with the lights, but turns off when the light is gone.

If anyone knows more about the state of the parking light signals or how i could get around this, i would be interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Headlamp Delay off/on

I'm a moron. The capacitor is discharging through the ******* lamp.

laugh at myself.

Fixed

The Diode was the problem, breakdown voltage was too low.

Anyone would care for a guide? I can write one!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Im intrigued

Though I think you will get more interest if you describe what this does a little more... what's the benifit of this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts