Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I got a mazda 3 hatch and I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions where I can get headers, intake, and exhaust and if so which brand should I get??? O yea is there any computer involvement needed for these parts that I should know about???

D

·
0 Posts
igotdemguns,

We are finishing up our Mazda6i 2.3L cold air intake this weekend. We are confident that our intake will work on the 2.3L Mazda3 with little to no modification. We have already contacted several SoCal Mazda3 owners who will volunteer their time and car for test fitments.

We will also be developing a header and a cat back exhaust for the Mazda3. We have been working on these 2.3L engines for almost 2 years now and have learned quite a bit.

Nikolas

·
Registered
581 Posts
SolarMZ3 is right. The Mazda 3 is too new of a car to have many if any official performance parts out for it. But many companies like Draxas are near completion of development of performance parts for the Mazda 3. [Note: edited this line due to Draxas's post]

Though, I wonder what kind of intake/header/exhaust packages we'll see coming from the performance companies. It'd be nice to speculate that with a really well designed package, we could eek out another +15hp or +20hp from our engines. Throw on a well-tuned ECU for more power which maybe would pull another +5hp or +10hp out of the engine.

Of course, then we'd need to retune the suspension to handle the increase in power. So why not go with a little overkill? But it's such a waste to have such a great suspension and not use all it's potential.

Suddenly, visions of turbochargers dance around.....The never-ending quest of modifying the Mazda 3 for performance has begun :twisted:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Ima gonna guess a turbo kit will be available mid-August.

Ive been debating about getting a custom setup going. If work picks up I may drop the car off at XS-Engineering for a complete system.

They charge a starting fee of $4k.. but it would be around 6k but they tune the car and replace such parts as the head gasket from the get-go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
how extensive of a fuel economy loss can be expected with upgraded exhaust, intake, and possible ecu flash?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
In theory, most mods actually give you the "potential" for increased fuel economy as they make the engine more efficient. So if you give a fully modded car to a little old lady from Pasadena she will probably get 1 or 2 more MPG.

In reality, they give you the opportunity to go faster so you end up using more than you would have, but how much depends on how you drive.

D

·
0 Posts
Jebus,

The reasons for the plastic intake manifold is because it costs them less to manufacture it and it also lowers the weight of the engine package. Those are just two of them, Im sure there are more.

Nikolas

·
Registered
273 Posts
Draxas_VP said:
Jebus,

The reasons for the plastic intake manifold is because it costs them less to manufacture it and it also lowers the weight of the engine package. Those are just two of them, Im sure there are more.

Nikolas
i know it just looks super cheap
can you make an intake manifold?

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Ha right now the best thing you could do to your 3 to make it faster is get stickier rubber :lol: But I am very excited for BPU's to come out for this car, first company to make an intake will probably sell me one!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Draxas_VP said:
Jebus,

Nikolas
I would add it is also probably smooth on the inside of the runners. No need to spend extra bucks to extrude hone the manifold.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
There probably isnt a very big gain with a metal intake manifold unless you went FI.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know how the stock headers look like on the Focus 2.3, but the 3's look pretty free-flowing. They are "Stainless steel exhaust manifold with long, equal-length runners (2.0/2.3-litre: 4-2-1 configuration) optimizes exhaust gas flow for enhanced power and torque, and for a sporty engine note." as stated on the Canadian Mazda website. I don't expect much of a power increase, unless the aftermarket headers does away with the pre-cat.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i think i agree with rich in an earlier post that a lot of the restriction is from the intake, i was driivng around today and decided to gun it from a stop light and just unleash the 3's power ...and i feel that if we improve the intake we might get very significant gains :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
The biggest benefit of a plastic intake manifold is that it reduces the amount of heat soak. Plastics aren't as conductive to heat as say metals are. Therefore your intake charge stays cooler which helps the engine make power.

Tons of people on the 350z forums are pushing for a plastic intake manifold to be made, it is a very desirable item! Especially in turbo applications where there will be more heat under the hood.

I think a CAI or just a POP charger will produce good gains for this car. I think I remember reading somewhere that the 2.3L engine in the S is somewhat detuned from the factory so it can run on regular gasoline. If this is the case, it seems like a cat back exhaust, intake, and ecu reflash will be very beneficial.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How much do you guys think the estimate cost would be for getting the intake, header and exhaust?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say close to 1000, depending upon where you get them from. I will wait till at least two different ones are available to choose from so I may compare and go for the better one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts