Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of research but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Are there any headers out there that are legal in California and will pass both the visual and sniffer test?

I think draxas headers are legal in cali (please correct me if i'm wrong) but i know those are outta production. what about obx headers? are those legal?

·
Registered
345 Posts
its easier to pass on other cars since it doesn't remove a cat...but since we have a cat in the header it makes it impossible to legally pass the visual inspection

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about the new thunder catted header? will that pass the visual since it has a cat?

and for the record i was making "header" plural :lol:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
take a look at this... this site selling a obx header says that it is "CARB exempt"... meaning that it is legal to put on your car in california

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/mz3.html

OBX High performance racing headers are made out of pure SUS-304 stainless steel. Dyno tested at low end and top speed to increase 7~10 horsepower. Precision mandrel-bend to enhance exhaust gas flow. OBX Headers will fit OEM down pipe or OBX Cat Back Systems without modification. These 2 piece type headers are easy to install. Value-added bolt-on headers for any racing sport performance enthusiast. CARB exempt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
that has to be a mistake..it's illegal to remove a factory cat that isn't damaged....and there is no mention about CARB on obx's site
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=926

not to mention that you can only have one carb exempt item on your car...so you couldn't run a CAI and a carb exempt header

and i just emailed them asking for the carb exemption number for it so if they claim it has one we can look it up and find out for sure...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=paincorp link=topic=135208.msg2910638#msg2910638 date=1233716430]
that has to be a mistake..it's illegal to remove a factory cat that isn't damaged....and there is no mention about CARB on obx's site
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=926

not to mention that you can only have one carb exempt item on your car...so you couldn't run a CAI and a carb exempt header

and i just emailed them asking for the carb exemption number for it so if they claim it has one we can look it up and find out for sure...
[/quote]
errrr i hate california and its dam emission laws! :x

·
Registered
345 Posts
if only you could register the car in a state you don't live in....so that way i could be covered under az or nv smog laws....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=paincorp link=topic=135208.msg2911017#msg2911017 date=1233727346]
if only you could register the car in a state you don't live in....so that way i could be covered under az or nv smog laws....
[/quote]
haha yea i wish.

so does anyone know about the new catted thunder header? it has a cat... so is it legal in cali?

·
Registered
345 Posts
[quote author=paincorp link=topic=135208.msg2910638#msg2910638 date=1233716430]
it's illegal to remove a factory cat that isn't damaged
[/quote]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
there are no aftermarket header... NO "S"... exhaust manifold, that are CARB legal in the U.S. for the mazda 3... iirc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok well seeing as i dont have to get a smog test til like 2013... i might throw some headers on for the meantime :)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
[quote author=KeVINE11 link=topic=135208.msg2921493#msg2921493 date=1234111693]
i might throw some headers on for the meantime :)
[/quote]

there is only one exhaust manifold on the 3, so header is not plural ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Oricle link=topic=135208.msg2921569#msg2921569 date=1234113427]
[quote author=KeVINE11 link=topic=135208.msg2921493#msg2921493 date=1234111693]
i might throw some headers on for the meantime :)
[/quote]

there is only one exhaust manifold on the 3, so header is not plural ;)
[/quote]
header*** dam it. lol. i did mess up there. for the record, earlier i was making it plural! ex: there are many types of cold air intakes for the mazda 3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts