Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has used it? And has anyone documented IATs before and after? Just curious how much they help.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
i didn't record temperatures but it did make a difference and you notice it after driving the same route then popping the hood.
My header looked like absolute shit with rust building up on it so after cleaning it up and sanding and what not i made it look like this

Then i wrapped it and coated it with the silicone spray. I sprayed a lot.

then started doing the header

and when i was finished it looked similar to the pipe covered with the wrap and i was on my second can of silicone paint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you're OK with buying a new header soon, go ahead and wrap it. It does have benefits in holding heat in the exhaust, but that also speeds up corosion .the wrap holds moisture between the header and the wrap and doesnt let the header cool down after the car stops running.

Look into cermaic coating, which is better all around.

by the way, i can show you pictures of my old header after being wrapped.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=139898.msg3015954#msg3015954 date=1237982987]
if you're OK with buying a new header soon, go ahead and wrap it. It does have benefits in holding heat in the exhaust, but that also speeds up corosion .the wrap holds moisture between the header and the wrap and doesnt let the header cool down after the car stops running.

[/quote]
yea i heard that too but when i spoke to some mustang owners they said that peoples headers go bad that quick because they never painted or coated the header before putting the wrap on it or not coating it after they put the wrap on it. I pretty much soaked mine with that silicone spray. I don't see any cracks or anything like that yet (knock on wood). I would however recommend getting it ceramic coated instead. I did it because my header was off the car and it looked like shit and plus i didn't wrap it that much. If anything happens i can get a new header for about 200$ so its not such a big deal to me. There is another forum member here who has wrapped almost all his vehicles headers or header and all have last him about 3+ years. Some of us don't even keep our car for that long.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
[quote author=08mazda2.0 link=topic=139898.msg3016845#msg3016845 date=1238008177]
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=139898.msg3015954#msg3015954 date=1237982987]

[/quote]
yea i heard that too but when i spoke to some mustang owners they said that peoples headers go bad that quick because they never painted or coated the header before putting the wrap on it or not coating it after they put the wrap on it. I pretty much soaked mine with that silicone spray. I don't see any cracks or anything like that yet (knock on wood). I would however recommend getting it ceramic coated instead. I did it because my header was off the car and it looked like shit and plus i didn't wrap it that much. If anything happens i can get a new header for about 200$ so its not such a big deal to me. There is another forum member here who has wrapped almost all his vehicles headers or header and all have last him about 3+ years. Some of us don't even keep our car for that long.
[/quote]

yes, I agree coating would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Header wrap voids the warranty on almost all aftermarket manifolds. It's usually fine on DP's though, as a substantial amount of heat has already been released by that point.

Header wrap tends to trap heat between the outside metal of the manifold and the wrap itself. This causes the metal to fatigue over time, and eventually will cause a failure or crack at a stress point. (Usually collector welds)

Coating is done on the outside AND inside of the manifold. This way the ceramic coating physically provides a protective barrier to the metal of the manifold from BOTH sides, and equalizes the thermal stress.

·
Registered
81 Posts
finally got around to taking pics. this was a RK sport ceramic header.

weld is cracked

·
Registered
518 Posts
yes specially for a DD or street car you WANT ceramic coating. It will cost money but wont break your sh!t like wrapping does.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
those pics are from wrapping right^
My header didn't look like that. However i can say where the elbow was at the bottom of the down pipe of my thunder header the welds broke off and it sounded like i was on open header. So yes over time it will make the metal brittle. Ever since i read this thread it made me think so my header was no long wrapped. Took it off like a couple days after reading this thread. Cermaic coating all the way. Some say the metal has to be cheap in order to crack but i think over time any metal can crack from this heat and moisture being retained.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for the pics, blackspeed. I hadn't really thought about trapping in the moisture, but yeah ceramic coating sounds like the best way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts