Mazda3 Forums banner

Have to vent about bad dealer experience!

975 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  maudi3
one day about a month ago we had 60 mph winds... as i was getting out of the car, the wind pulled the driver's door from my hand as i was opening it and it swung open so hard that the check broke (the rod that slides in and out of the door as you open it, and has a bump stop inside the door which prevents it from opening too far), but thank god the hinges also have their own secondary stop mechanism so the door didn't overswing and hit the fender!!! so no damage, except a snapped door check. (in fact, you could say the check did its job perfectly, by slowing the door down enough before snapping that the hinges themselves didn't bend or snap right off the car as the door continued to open past the check... good design, actually!)

so i brought my 06 3 to the dealer to ask how much it will cost to purchase a door check. the service advisor was really nice and said that since i bought the car there, they would "comp" the part and even install it for me... so i thought, great! saves me the half-hour it would take for me to pull the door panel off to do it myself.

so once the part arrived, i go in and wait for it. it took the tech 1-1/2 hours... i didn't understand why, but i figured, oh well...

then they pulled the car up for me, and i drove away. i had the music cranking. after i was half-way home, i turned the music off and heard a serious rattle coming from the driver's door. sh*t... the tech either didn't put the panel back on right or he dropped something inside the door that's now rattling.

i didn't have time to turn around (since i waited 1.5 hours already at the dealer). later that evening, i pulled the door panel off. the tech had broken 3 door clips, hadn't refastened an additional 3, broken 3 out of four electrical harness clips (which, i don't even know why, since the harness doesn't have to come out to replace the door check!), snapped a tab on the tweeter grille, and LEFT THE BROKEN CLIPS INSIDE THE DOOR AS WELL AS THE SNAPPED DOOR CHECK.

i called the dealer the next day, spoke with the shop supervisor, and told him everything i found. he admitted that their "greenest" employee had done the work, and that he was going to be seriously reprimanded, and that if i brought it back, they would replace everthing and make it perfect. i asked him if he could just send me the parts, because (1) i didn't feel like spending the time to go back and waiting again, and (2) how could i trust that they would do it right the next time? every time you pull a door panel off, you weaken those clips. the manager finally agreed, and when i told him about the harness clips, he told me that those aren't replaceable, they come preassembled on the entire harness. WTF!!!!! so i finally told him that i would retrofit my own repair to them and could he just send me a new tweeter grille and some door clips. he agreed, so that's where i'm at.

while i was at it, i told him that i've pulled off at least 100 door panels in my time (i used to be an installer of high end audio/alarm systems), and that the last time i broke a clip i was about 18 years old, lol... but that, worse, i never actually left a broken part behind in someone's door. i told him that i was very disappointed that i couldn't trust the service department any longer and that it was a pity that i had bought the car from them and had been looking forward to giving them all my business. he assured me that any time i come in, i can request him personally, and he will put his most experienced tech on any job for my car. heh... we'll see.

the sad thing is, how can ANY tech, experienced or not, have that kind of attitude toward an almost NEW car... i can see how he might not give a f*ck if it were a 10-year old beater, but an almost new car with only 6400 miles???

okay, that's my rant, thanks for listening. :D
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
WOW broken clips!

I broke one of the back seat clips during my great sound deadening install and I'm gotten pretty pro at audio installations...

Turns out there's a TSB for those clips and Mazda replaced both the clips for free! weeeee, it wasn't my fault it was the bad design! hehe

Sorry to hear about the dealer experience. Next time I'll special request that no tabs be broken if that happens to me. heh
[quote author=Johnen link=topic=73370.msg1301824#msg1301824 date=1175284158]
you have not mentioned the dealer
[/quote]

oh yeah, wellesley mazda in wellesley, MA.
[quote author=southpawboston link=topic=73370.msg1301984#msg1301984 date=1175289965]
[quote author=Johnen link=topic=73370.msg1301824#msg1301824 date=1175284158]
you have not mentioned the dealer
[/quote]

oh yeah, wellesley mazda in wellesley, MA.
[/quote]

Sorry to jack the thread, but dang that's where my mom lived for many a years before moving down the coast! (visit g-mom every summer up there but usually stayed in a house on the cape).

Anyway, I hope your experience gets better with the service department. Sometimes, you just can't fit a boy (mentally at least) to do a man's job.
[quote author=southpawboston link=topic=73370.msg1301610#msg1301610 date=1175279084]

the sad thing is, how can ANY tech, experienced or not, have that kind of attitude toward an almost NEW car... i can see how he might not give a f*ck if it were a 10-year old beater, but an almost new car with only 6400 miles???

okay, that's my rant, thanks for listening. :D
[/quote]

sad to hear about your experience. My guess is that the tech was the typical new guy in the dealership and invariably ends up doing most of the no-pay garbage work. So he probably had an "I don't give a sh^% attitude when he got the RO.
sad but true
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.