Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt want to do it, but i may be forced to get a roof rack for my baby.
cant afford to purchase and insure a second vehicle (truck) for my kayak and bike(s).
anyone put a rack on thier speed 3 yet? if so, what/where did you purchase.
thanks

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Here is a thread from another forum. The guy put the roof rack on and gas mileage went down. I would search this forum for more info, I remember seeing a pic of a ms3 with a roofrack
be included in MCP’s dissertation, which will be completed no later than December, 2008.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
yeah, someone on here got a yakima rack and there was a pic posted. it looked good.
I had a Yakima for my M3-sp3 and I loved it.

there is nothing wrong with getting a roof rack :)
just get the yakima round bars...a lot less noise and don't forget the fairing.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
yup nothin wrong with it - i don't know if its different from the normal 2.3 hatch...but you could checkout what brands those people used. I remember someone posting they had a rack on their ms3.

Its just a car, and its a mazdaspeed 3 - not a $250,000 uber sports car or something :) It just gets you to the river/mountain/trail with that much more of a grin on your face :D

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
wont be that bad, grab the front faring if you get a yakima rack, it helps tons with the wind noise.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I have bought racks from rackattack.com they seem to have good prices.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yakima (with thule bike trays) on red MS3:

the Yakima guides say to use the 58" bars
but the one size down (48", i think) fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I think it looks sweet :)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
yes, I agree, I got the 58" on my mazda3 and had to cut them by hand..that suxed ok. like big time. In the end, it all worked out.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
[quote author=dbuenger link=topic=66539.msg1145300#msg1145300 date=1168565389]
Yakima (with thule bike trays) on red MS3:

[/quote]

I like it.... and you did on a red so now i know what it looks like
thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
no problem!

and I totally understand about not wanting to put the rack on.

my rack was sitting in the garage for a month or two before
I finally decided that the weight I was gaining far outstripped
the potential damage the rack would do.

I also figured that for the car to fit my lifestyle the rack HAD to
go on.

the fairing helps tremendously with wind noise by the way.
I didn't have the fairing on my last car and the wind noise
was so bad that I was unable to talk on the cell phone (hands free)
when at highway speeds.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies,
but i want to change the rails on the roof to the ones that have the cut outs for rack attachments. i have been told that you can get factory rack in canada or order from the UK. anyone done this?
i would assume the rails just snap in/out somehow. people have done it on the regular 3's and wondering if the rails are the same as the speed, no reason why they wouldnt be, right?
thanks again

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
[quote author=mookiebarras link=topic=66539.msg1145987#msg1145987 date=1168613247]
thanks for the replies,
but i want to change the rails on the roof to the ones that have the cut outs for rack attachments. i have been told that you can get factory rack in canada or order from the UK. anyone done this?
i would assume the rails just snap in/out somehow. people have done it on the regular 3's and wondering if the rails are the same as the speed, no reason why they wouldnt be, right?
thanks again
[/quote]
okay, so i'm sure i'm going to get the " whys the noob telling us 'bout this" looks, but yes, the UK racks match the US speed 3, its one of the first things i checked out at the dealership.
this is what i'll be getting once my dealership gets another allotment.
buy racks from the UK, and new rainrail covers from canada.(with snap out pieces for mounting to the screws on the car)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=66539.msg1145374#msg1145374 date=1168568447]
I think it looks sweet :)
[/quote]

Me, too. I like utility, it's why I bought a hatchback in the first place. Nice tip on the UK/Canada racks if I ever decide to do this.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I once saw a silver mazda 3 HB with some kind of hydralick rack/hitch whatever it is, sticking out of the rear end. I really don't know what it is though. And the worst thing I've ever seen so far was in 2004 right after I bought my 3, I saw a road construction crew with a mazda 3, which has a rotary light on the top. So I guess having a roof rack isn't not bad after all.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I think it looks fine. Some day, i'll probably just do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts