Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with my Mazda selaesman today, he mentioned that he finds the front end of the Mazda3 Sport hatchback looks quite similar too the PT Cruiser. I found this funny as I though the same thing ever since seeing pictures of the Mazda3 Sport.

But I didn't realize how similar they seemd until we went out to the overstock lot to see a velocity red sedan, and I saw a red Sport right next to a red PT Cruiser. With the windshields buried in snow they looked oddly similar.

Here's a picture of each I found. Come to your own conclusions.

I definitely like the Mazda3 Sport much more than the ugly PT Cruiser, but the front end does put me off a bit (I still prefer the sedan).

·
Registered
43 Posts
ur breaking my heart for comparing two different classes.... mazda 3 hatch is class beautified while pt cruiser is class uglified

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I, for about 1 minute, thought there was a slight resemblance to the PT Cruiser, because of the grill style, and hood bulge shape. But the PT is starting to grow old VERY quickly, and looks stodgy compared to the sleek/muscular lines of the Mazda3 hatch.

I personally like the look of the sedan more, but the hatch is still very stylish, and is a good choice for those who need the conveinence of the hatch.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
PT sucks. Mazda3 owns.

Need we say more?

·
Banned
868 Posts
This point has been brought up countless times anyways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They're so different!

Grill shape: Mazda 5-point, PT Square
Front air dam: much wider on the mazda
Foglights: Only on the mazda
Headlights: Similar, but distinctly different.. it goes up and sharp towards the outside, and the inside is sharp on the mazda. the PT is much more rounded and "traditional" (i.e. same as much that is out there)

About the only similarity I see is the somewhat likeness of the hood, how it's raised and comes in.. But the PT's is much more pronounced. The mazda's is a lot lower and seems sleeker (to me) with the "sharp" edge

I'd like to hear from the camp that says they're similar!

·
Registered
330 Posts
OK, I'll bite. So here goes.
Don't look at them as they look in the final product. Look at them from an overall style view.
Front grill - Bars across, very similiar. They both have the old Chrysler front end. PT went too far in stretching it from the hood to below the bumper. Small cars don't have enough mass to carry a hugh grill. Think mouth open yawn on PT verse a mischeveious smirk on 3.

Hood and front wheel wells - this is where most people see similarities. Hood bulge and muscular wheel fender bulges. The PT design decided to accent the hood and seperately accent the wheel and make full wheel bulges. The 3 designers went for an understated and blended well and hood.

The style is very similiar, IMHO. The 3 designers just did a much better job merging the whole car design together instead of accenting indiviual parts as in the PT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.