Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my AutoEnginuity scan tool today with Mazda software. I can read my factory wideband with it (voltage for sure, maybe AF). I think with its datalog capability and o2 reading, I should be able to tune the Haltech without a aftermarket O2.

anyone wanna chime in?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68158.msg1175009#msg1175009 date=1170105322]
I got my AutoEnginuity scan tool today with Mazda software. I can read my factory wideband with it (voltage for sure, maybe AF). I think with its datalog capability and o2 reading, I should be able to tune the Haltech without a aftermarket O2.

anyone wanna chime in?
[/quote]

It would be kinda hard to do it that way. You would be looking at 2 different logs and trying to find the right spot. And you need to know what the volt = afr fromt he stock o2.

The best way if it will work is to wire up the stock wideband o2 into the Haltech and datalogg from it instead of the scantool. That would be the easiest way to do it. Biggest thing is you need to know what the volts = afr. I'll see if I can figure it out tonight and show you the formula to figure out what v = 14.7 and so on.

You could also try to get the Closed Loop Control to work....I'm pretty close as I have got it to add and pull fuel, I just need to fine tune it. But if you can datalog and tune you wont need it.

Herb

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx for the input. Im gonna play with this tonight and see what it tells me. Maybe I can get some kind of AF from it? Maybe.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
hey Herb, can you tell me how you get it hooked in ''closed loop''
and what do I need.

I'll have to retune my car when the internals are in, so I'd like to understand
the program more as I haven't played with it very much...

Herb, do you do your tune with the 2d map or the 3d map...
How do you know on the map that you are just crusing vs WOT ?
I assume the tune is very different if you are @ WOT vs cruising?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=jeanseb link=topic=68158.msg1175118#msg1175118 date=1170107715]
hey Herb, can you tell me how you get it hooked in ''closed loop''
and what do I need.

I'll have to retune my car when the internals are in, so I'd like to understand
the program more as I haven't played with it very much...

Herb, do you do your tune with the 2d map or the 3d map...
How do you know on the map that you are just crusing vs WOT ?
I assume the tune is very different if you are @ WOT vs cruising?
[/quote]

I would suggest you play with it offline alot and get use to all of the controls.

I only use the 2d map when I tune. The HOME key will place you on the map where the engine currently is.

I don't follow the cruising vs WOT question.

There is only one fuel map you will tune and it will do idle to WOT.

You need to connect the o2 to the harness of the Haltech. I think it is pin2, I'll look to see if I can get the instructions. You will need a sheilded wire and the pin to go into the harness. If you are using a wideband a/f gauge with outputs then you don't have to use a sheild wire, but you need the pin...I'll see if I can get the part number for that too.

Then you need to goto Option:Closed Loop o2 inthe Haltech and enter the correct values. I'm still working on those and they seem to be different for others depending on a few things.

I can tell you that if your map is very rich the closed loop control will have a hard time correcting it. It is more of a fine tuning tool IMO

I wouldn't rely on it to correct a bad map but make a good map better or be used to make a better map perfect as you can also datalog the o2 correction being made.

But play with the haltech alot off line especially if you are looking to tune it, it is pretty simple once you get use to it and understand it.
I think it is one of those things that is hard to be told how to do it, you either need to see it be done or just figure it out.

I know MrTea has been tuning alot more than I have and has giving me alot of tips....I hope he doesn't mind me throwing that out there!

There are Haltech manuals on the Haltech website and there is also a help section which pretty much has the same thing. I have the pin out schematic for the Haltech harness also.

·
Registered
656 Posts
With the Haltech F10x you can run closed loop if the map is close to be right. The ECU will add or take fuel as much as +- 12.5%, but it takes some time to get to the target, so the closer you are the faster the correction. There are also some other parameters to watch, the rpms you want your car to go into closed loop, the Throttle position where you want it to go into closed loop and how quick you want the correction. Do not try to have the ECU to correct any mistakes you make. Save the file before doing any changes, this way you can go back to your 1st map.

Ed, if you want I can send your harness with the closed loop wire hooked up. Do you have the first O2 sensor in place?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=68158.msg1175514#msg1175514 date=1170121365]
With the Haltech F10x you can run closed loop if the map is close to be right. The ECU will add or take fuel as much as +- 12.5%, but it takes some time to get to the target, so the closer you are the faster the correction. There are also some other parameters to watch, the rpms you want your car to go into closed loop, the Throttle position where you want it to go into closed loop and how quick you want the correction. Do not try to have the ECU to correct any mistakes you make. Save the file before doing any changes, this way you can go back to your 1st map.

Ed, if you want I can send your harness with the closed loop wire hooked up. Do you have the first O2 sensor in place?
[/quote]

I have the 1st o2 senor in place. When you say the ECU, you dont mean the factory ECU since that wont control fuel anymore right? Do you mean the haltech? I dont know what I want :lol:, I just want the car to run with a safe AF and start and run reliable. What are others doing with your kit?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yeah, he means the haltech, and yeah, Juan should put it in there. it's just one shielded wire to add to the mass of wires, and a ground tap i think?

i really don't recommend playing with the tuning that much though guys, unless you are willing to deal with the results and not blame Juan. there are cars that are running A LONG time with his setup out of the box, and tweaking things is where the problems start. hit up a dyno shop and have them tune things, but if you don't know how an O2 works or that the tuning is off the MAP sensor and nothing TPS (for the most part)....stick to the pros!

and sometimes, a little talking with those that have been around, and have some maps that have worked well, or Juan has helped with on a dyno can solve some small tuning issues. Herb, Brian and myself have done our fair share of looking at these maps....though none of us are pros by any means.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[quote author=MrTea link=topic=68158.msg1175768#msg1175768 date=1170128346]
yeah, he means the haltech, and yeah, Juan should put it in there. it's just one shielded wire to add to the mass of wires, and a ground tap i think?

i really don't recommend playing with the tuning that much though guys, unless you are willing to deal with the results and not blame Juan. there are cars that are running A LONG time with his setup out of the box, and tweaking things is where the problems start. hit up a dyno shop and have them tune things, but if you don't know how an O2 works or that the tuning is off the MAP sensor and nothing TPS (for the most part)....stick to the pros!

and sometimes, a little talking with those that have been around, and have some maps that have worked well, or Juan has helped with on a dyno can solve some small tuning issues. Herb, Brian and myself have done our fair share of looking at these maps....though none of us are pros by any means.
[/quote]

the first map I got was not tuned at all, the car was NOT driveable.

I then asked Brian's map and started from there. The car was running, everything
was good, except I was running way too rich. The tune fixed that. I played with
the software a bit but haven't looked at it enough.

I WANT to be able to tune the car without going to the dyno, I need to learn before
but I really think everyone boosted should learn how the software works as there
will always be some minor issues with the tuning.

I'll try to understand the software, but a small thread ''tuning 101 of the haltech''
would also greatly help :p

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I like the "tuning 101 of the Haltech" idea!
I think everyone should get in there and mess around with it...well atleast get to know it.
The way I have it setup now I think it is very very easy to tune the car from the datalogs.
I now have it reading everything I need to make good adjustments.

The datalogging will also help you find hard and confusing problems.

What I have been doing for a while is looking at other car forums that use the Haltech and looking what they have been doing. I have searched the net on everything I can on Haltechs to find every trick I can.

I have seen cool ways for a datalog pulled from the Haltech to be pasted into a spread sheet for easy reading....I plan on doing this.

I have seen other forums have a Haltech library with maps and a tuning forum. I don't think we need a tuning forum though.

I would say ask as question, I'm sure if we can't help we would be more than willing to know what the answer is. I'm learning new things every day and looking to learn more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=jeanseb link=topic=68158.msg1175930#msg1175930 date=1170132642]
[quote author=MrTea link=topic=68158.msg1175768#msg1175768 date=1170128346]

[/quote]

the first map I got was not tuned at all, the car was NOT driveable.

I then asked Brian's map and started from there. The car was running, everything
was good, except I was running way too rich. The tune fixed that. I played with
the software a bit but haven't looked at it enough.

I WANT to be able to tune the car without going to the dyno, I need to learn before
but I really think everyone boosted should learn how the software works as there
will always be some minor issues with the tuning.

I'll try to understand the software, but a small thread ''tuning 101 of the haltech''
would also greatly help :p
[/quote]

Jeanseb,

Your car was running way too rich because Brian's map is tuned for a 2.3 and yiu have a 2.0. I don't know what happened to your original map, but there are about other 6 people with a 2.0 that are running fine with our map.

My advise is: If you are willing to spend time and try to make adjustments and get some good days and bad days on this, not to mention that you might do something wrong and blow your engine, then do it. There are more than 30 kits out there that are running our base map with no issues at all. Once you start playing with it you will try to mess with it every day. This is no new to me since all our kits come with this system and I have been thru this many times. Our maps are good and ready to go. Usually we send conservative maps to be safe on your engines, though not as rich as factory. If you see factory tuning, the AFR on boosted cars is 10:1 and even richer.

So, if you want to enjoy the car, stay out of playing with the Haltech and just have fun the way it is.

Juan

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68158.msg1176237#msg1176237 date=1170163295]
I think ill just have fun the way it is.
[/quote]

This is the way it is supossed to be. We have spent a lot of money and time doing the tuning on these cars. I have over 75 dyno runs on the 2.3 liter with different turbochargers to get the best out of it.

There might be a need for fine tuning the idle in some cars as not all are the same, but if you run the closed loop, you will be fine.

Look at Fox Fader, Brian and many others running fine with our tune. I always tell my customers; The least gauges you have to look at the better, so you do not have to worry about AFRs or EGTs as long as you know that you are right.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good to me. So the closed loop will help with any idle problems then? You have instructions for wiring up the closed loop too right?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
hey Juan,

could you explain how to connect the ''close loop'' as I'd really like
to try it.

and btw, do you have news of my order?

thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68158.msg1176402#msg1176402 date=1170170082]
sounds good to me. So the closed loop will help with any idle problems then? You have instructions for wiring up the closed loop too right?
[/quote]

It is just very simple. Just tap the O2 sensor wire of the haltech to your existing O2 sensor out of the stock ECU. That will get the Haltech the voltage reading and it will correct according to your settings.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds good. If you recommend it, I'll do it. Just give me a call when your ready to ship and I'll get your payment info. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts