Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the car 5 days. On day two, I hear this sound coming from the right front ...it sounded like the noise you make when you blow across the top of a bottle...whoooooooo.
No vibration associated with it. No pulling to the right when I take my hands off the wheel. It is not happening at any particular speed and it does not happen all the time. I have had it occur when pulling off a light, going down the road with my cruise on, or when going into my housing complex. I thought it might be associated with brake calipers but easing on my brakes does not recreate the noise. Frankly I have never heard any car make a noise like this before...

I am taking the car in tomorrow to get Lojack installed, and am going to bring it up this issue (along with the obvious motor mount check request). I am assuming the service dept will be clueless, and if anyone has a ready made answer I will take it to them.

TIA.
UPDATE 3-7-2007 245 PM
Just got a call from the service department: the right front stabilizer link was....get this!!! NOT TORQUED PROPERLY!!!!

Sounds like a recurring theme, eh? I wonder if they need to check tightness for all bolts under the hood...

I will get the car back later today and will report results tonight or tomorrow.

UPDATE 3-9-2007 245 PM
Apparently I did not drive it long enough on the 8th. It started with the same noise again last night after about 25 miles on the road.
MOTHERFUCKER!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front?

check your washer fluid cap. it may be loose.

i was getting that noise awhile back. i opened the hood and the washer fluid cap was loose and there were leaves all in there.

i tightened the cap and took out the leaves and it went away.

either that or it went away on its own.

either way it isn't a bad thing (i don't think)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hm. That would explain the noise at speed...but at very low speed?

I will try it tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts

i have the exact same issue, going to dealer soon to get it checked out

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[quote author=maxuz link=topic=70904.msg1244653#msg1244653 date=1172864102]
Here you are gents:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=63352.0

positive the mods would want us to continue this there. :)

[/quote]

Well then they would be wrong, no offense.
This is not a humming noise, it has nothing to do with tires rubbing and I am positive it has nothing to do with brakes. I put a post there with no replies and then realized this is a whole different problem.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

[quote author=tavarua88 link=topic=70904.msg1244645#msg1244645 date=1172863932]
i have the exact same issue, going to dealer soon to get it checked out
[/quote]

Any word? I have been sick the last few days and hopefully will get it in the shop tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts

not yet the day after i posted it i had a hard time creating it until today. it seems i have to run the car for more than 20 mins or so before it starts to make the sound. i'm definitely bringing it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATED WITH ANSWER

/\/\
Exactly the same as my symptoms. Have them check the stabilizer per my top post update.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATED WITH ANSWER

[quote author=Greykiller2005 link=topic=70904.msg1244532#msg1244532 date=1172861773]
I have had the car 5 days. On day two, I hear this sound coming from the right front ...it sounded like the noise you make when you blow across the top of a bottle...whoooooooo.
No vibration associated with it. No pulling to the right when I take my hands off the wheel. It is not happening at any particular speed and it does not happen all the time. I have had it occur when pulling off a light, going down the road with my cruise on, or when going into my housing complex. I thought it might be associated with brake calipers but easing on my brakes does not recreate the noise. Frankly I have never heard any car make a noise like this before...

I am taking the car in tomorrow to get Lojack installed, and am going to bring it up this issue (along with the obvious motor mount check request). I am assuming the service dept will be clueless, and if anyone has a ready made answer I will take it to them.

TIA.
UPDATE 3-7-2007 245 PM

Just got a call from the service department: the right front stabilizer link was....get this!!! NOT TORQUED PROPERLY!!!!

Sounds like a recurring theme, eh? I wonder if they need to check tightness for all bolts under the hood...

I will get the car back later today and will report results tonight or tomorrow.
[/quote]

They specifically built these cars in Japan to insure the quality of the build. First the tranny mount bolt, now this. All honor is lost and seppuku is in order for somebody in Hofu.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

I'm not sure, if a unproperly torqued stabilizer link would cause that problem. The sound is more of a resonating sound, and not a clunk. A clunk sound is more characteristic of a loose stabilizer bar bolt/nut. I'll take a look at it this weekend, when I have the front wheels off.

The only reason I still think it's a brake problem is because I occasionally get that noise just cruising in a straight line @ 40mph in 6th gear just feathering the throttle and it only happens when the brakes are warmed up/hot. Also, I get it at speeds under 5mph (i.e. pulling into a parking space or the garage).

Keep us posted if the sound returns. BTW, my build date is 12/06.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATED WITH ANSWER!!!

Yeah I have noticed this issue also I am going take it to my dealer tuesday 03/12. I hate going to the there, but at least I have an excuse to miss work.

·
Registered
20 Posts

of course i drove all the way to alhambra mazda today for them to take a look at it and i could not reproduce the sound. Felt like a moron driving around the block only to find i was unable to do create the sound.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATED WITH ANSWER!!!

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=70904.msg1254874#msg1254874 date=1173305712]
I'm not sure, if a unproperly torqued stabilizer link would cause that problem. The sound is more of a resonating sound, and not a clunk. A clunk sound is more characteristic of a loose stabilizer bar bolt/nut. I'll take a look at it this weekend, when I have the front wheels off.

The only reason I still think it's a brake problem is because I occasionally get that noise just cruising in a straight line @ 40mph in 6th gear just feathering the throttle and it only happens when the brakes are warmed up/hot. Also, I get it at speeds under 5mph (i.e. pulling into a parking space or the garage).

Keep us posted if the sound returns. BTW, my build date is 12/06.
[/quote]

My build date was also 12/6!
One would think that a brake noise issue is easily discovered by a teck. That said, I could not recreate the noise with a light touch on the brakes--but the noise would stop if I did tap the brakes when I heard it...

Anyway, I drove the car for about an hour and the sound did not come back.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

The origin of my noise is around the left wheel. I have a hunch that it has something to do w/ the dust shield, I mean to me it's the only part around the front hub that could make such a low pitched resonating sound. The clearance between shield and rotor varies from 1cm maximum to around 0.5cm minimum.

I can recreate the sound, but I have to put at least 10-15 highway miles at constant speed and then hold that speed in top gear. Occasionally I will get it starting from a stop or at very very slow speeds after slight brake application. The sound goes away w/ very light brake application.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Don't know if this will help, but I had a really strange sound that got worse and worse in my right front MZ3 on the way home one day and it would change for the better when I lightly applied the brake... so I pulled over, put in reverse and did a couple of hi speed reverses with sudden braking and it went away... permanently. I think it was a tiny stone caught in the brake rubbing against the rotor. Just a thought.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATE PROBLEM RECU

Yeah this sound is annoying I hope it’s just something stupid with the brakes or something. Last night when I was pulling into a parking lot it was really bad for like a second. I am going to tried to record it with my phone, but I doubt it’s loud enough or the mic on my phone is good enough. Ill try the reverse things. The car is going to the dealer Tuesday for this issue so ill post an update on what they say then.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Has anyone heard the strange sound from the right front? UPDATE PROBLEM RECU

It is back at the dealer now. I asked them to pull the damn brakes apart if they have to because I can think of no other reason for this. I need to restate that I have never heard this kind of brake noise before and what is really irritating is that I cannot recreate the noise by applying VERY light brake pressure.

Oh well lets see what happens today...

·
Registered
91 Posts

[quote author=Greykiller2005 link=topic=70904.msg1258001#msg1258001 date=1173447514]
It is back at the dealer now. I asked them to pull the damn brakes apart if they have to because I can think of no other reason for this. I need to restate that I have never heard this kind of brake noise before and what is really irritating is that I cannot recreate the noise by applying VERY light brake pressure.

Oh well lets see what happens today...
[/quote]

Yeah good luck with it if you figure it out first I can bitch at my dealer about it. I hate driving at 50mph with the windows down trying to hear a sound.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts