Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got mine in yesterday, hope to put it on Saturday and take it to the dyno the following weekend.

I was just curious if anyone else who already had it on had a chance to see what the gains are. I know its supposed to be around 20Whp but it will be nice to see real world results from some members.

I"ll post mine next weekend with any luck :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
....anybody

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I wish I knew of where a local dyno is in San Diego. There is one about 45 minutes away, and they're having a dyno day for $40 for 2 runs. But that isn't until 3/31/2007.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well here is my stock pull from earlier in the week, I should have my CAI on Saturday. After the ECU adjusts to the airflow I will go back. Like I said, this is STOCK. Also note the heatsoak effect on the engine. Did the first two pulls back to back to see how bad it could be. Kind of dissappointed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice dyno, but damn that post 5,5k rpm drop-off is disgusting to look at.

What kind of fan setup was being used while on the dyno?

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=warpspeed link=topic=70815.msg1243380#msg1243380 date=1172812336]
Thats not that disappointing.
[/quote]

The heatsoak was. You could have fried an egg on the TMIC. Not sure about the actual flow of the fan. But it was freaking huge. There is more info on it on the dyno thread.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=proclam link=topic=70815.msg1243311#msg1243311 date=1172810239]
Well here is my stock pull from earlier in the week, I should have my CAI on Saturday. After the ECU adjusts to the airflow I will go back. Like I said, this is STOCK. Also note the heatsoak effect on the engine. Did the first two pulls back to back to see how bad it could be. Kind of dissappointed.

[/quote]

The heatsoak and nose dive in power after 5500rpm's isn't the speed3's best selling points. Hopefully a larger TMIC and a PNP XEDE will cure both of these problems in the future.

I'll post my results next weekend in this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will be with the Turboxs Race Pipe and MS CAI.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The 3.5 ETS TMIC is supposed to help a lot with the heatsoak issue, not to mention it supposedly nets 20 whp. As for the Xede, eh. I will wait for PNP in order to lean out my A/F ratio. There is an easy 30-40 horse drowning in all that fuel. Can't wait for Cobb or CP-E.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
tuning is the only major player in the field (other than a bigger turbo). The Cobb device should allow us to maximize all that damn fuel that's coming out the tailpipe. if you are disappointed by 249whp (263 crank) and 266wtq (282 crank), DON'T BE. That is a fair number of horsies lost in the transition to the ground. while a larger TMIC will help with heatsoak, a FMIC will do a little better as more of the core's surface will have high-pressure air against it. I know the ducting under the hood is good, but you can't beat a direct hit. thanks for taking the time (and money) to show us the effect!

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=70815.msg1245280#msg1245280 date=1172880872]
tuning is the only major player in the field (other than a bigger turbo). The Cobb device should allow us to maximize all that damn fuel that's coming out the tailpipe. if you are disappointed by 249whp (263 crank) and 266wtq (282 crank), DON'T BE. That is a fair number of horsies lost in the transition to the ground. while a larger TMIC will help with heatsoak, a FMIC will do a little better as more of the core's surface will have high-pressure air against it. I know the ducting under the hood is good, but you can't beat a direct hit. thanks for taking the time (and money) to show us the effect!
[/quote]

Dont forget that all that extra piping will make more lag.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=70815.msg1245280#msg1245280 date=1172880872]
if you are disappointed by 249whp (263 crank) and 266wtq (282 crank), DON'T BE. That is a fair number of horsies lost in the transition to the ground. [/quote]

You misunderstand, I love the fact that I hit peak whp 249 and peak wtq of 266. It was the second run, that heat soak is bad, that was a let down of sorts. Still made a lot of power, just not as much as I had hoped for a hot run.

Think about it though, drivetrain loss is minimal, bout 14 horses and 14 lbs. torque. Pretty efficient really. Compare that to AWD!

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=ElyasWolff link=topic=70815.msg1245577#msg1245577 date=1172889051]
[/quote]

Dont forget that all that extra piping will make more lag.
[/quote]

If designed properly, the extra lag really wouldn't be an issue to be overly concerned about. Key word: properly. As such, a company who just slaps on piping and an intercooler without testing and validating their results won't get any of my money, obviously.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=proclam link=topic=70815.msg1245675#msg1245675 date=1172892622]
Think about it though, drivetrain loss is minimal, bout 14 horses and 14 lbs. torque. Pretty efficient really. Compare that to AWD!
[/quote]
You can't really calculate drivetrain loss because you don't know how much HP the engine is producing. Keep in mind the 263 HP is simply a rating and that actual HP will vary greatly depending upon a number of factors.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=70815.msg1246019#msg1246019 date=1172914593]

You can't really calculate drivetrain loss because you don't know how much HP the engine is producing. Keep in mind the 263 HP is simply a rating and that actual HP will vary greatly depending upon a number of factors.

[/quote]

So in that case you have to accept claimed power. I can see where geographically it might not make as much(high altitudes) but I am at sea level. I think the claimed measures are probably more accurate than not, especially in my geographic location. Yes of course there is more to it than that, but even if the car is only making 255 actual horse, all that much better. Conversely, if it is actually making 275 horse, what is the difference? Still not to terrible for drivetrain loss. Besides, I am still getting 249 to the wheel. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote author=proclam link=topic=70815.msg1243311#msg1243311 date=1172810239]

[/quote]

Do you need to reset the ECU or just give it a week of hard driving to self adjust?

·
Registered
756 Posts
[/quote]

There are a couple of other three disadvantages to the TMIC vs. the FMIC. First, hot air tends to rise and the TMIC is right up there where the hot air is trying to go. Second, a TMIC impacts the car's center of gravity, but the net impact is mild. Third, there is more room to install a hydrogen cooling piping on top of the intercooler to actually cool it with gas, which adds power given the result in higher oxygen density in colder air.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my MazdaSpeed. No car is perfect (even the Corvette has issues). Whatever dyno results comes out, my ride already feels more powerful and no dyno result will spoil that. Moreover, dynos cannot ever manage to recreate the actual driving conditions like wind speed, drag, etc. Just try to accelerate against the wind with wind speeds greater than 50 mphs plus your car going at 60 mphs+. No dyno is going to account for that. Believe me, I've done it and it feels like you loose 100 hps. Additionally, the MS3's transmission was designed to withstand massive amounts of torque. Correct me if I'm wrong but the transmission (including gear ratios) is one of the main causes behind drive train loss. Just ask evo owners that blew their clutches withing the first year and forced mitsu to change transmissions. Mazda made sure that that was not going to happen to the Speed6/Speed3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[quote author=MS3 Hot Hatch link=topic=70815.msg1248504#msg1248504 date=1173060323]
[/quote]

There are a couple of other three disadvantages to the TMIC vs. the FMIC. First, hot air tends to rise and the TMIC is right up there where the hot air is trying to go. Second, a TMIC impacts the car's center of gravity, but the net impact is mild. Third, there is more room to install a hydrogen cooling piping on top of the intercooler to actually cool it with gas, which adds power given the result in higher oxygen density in colder air.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my MazdaSpeed. No car is perfect (even the Corvette has issues). Whatever dyno results comes out, my ride already feels more powerful and no dyno result will spoil that. Moreover, dynos cannot ever manage to recreate the actual driving conditions like wind speed, drag, etc. Just try to accelerate against the wind with wind speeds greater than 50 mphs plus your car going at 60 mphs+. No dyno is going to account for that. Believe me, I've done it and it feels like you loose 100 hps. Additionally, the MS3's transmission was designed to withstand massive amounts of torque. Correct me if I'm wrong but the transmission (including gear ratios) is one of the main causes behind drive train loss. Just ask evo owners that blew their clutches withing the first year and forced mitsu to change transmissions. Mazda made sure that that was not going to happen to the Speed6/Speed3.
[/quote]

Your pretty much correct. Hot air rises, and heatsoakes top mount intercoolers in a hurry. Go to NASIOC.COM or any Subaru forum, and they will tell you the same thing. I am thinking a fmic will help with efficiency greatly. Especially as far as driving around is concerned. Nothing beats the effect of ambient air slamming directly into a fmic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My Speed 3 is my first turbo car so I am a definite noob as far as intercoolers, front or top go. That said, I wonder what effect mounting something that releases heat as well as blocking some of the airflow to the radiator and air conditioning condensor might have on the cooling system. Might it posibly have an adverse affect on the longevity of the engine?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts