Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have the AT Sportshift and have used it, do you notice that shifting from 2nd to 3rd is a bit rough? 1st and 2nd gear shifting is relatively a smooth transition and so is 3rd and 4th, but between 2nd to 3rd it feels like a jolt unless your RPM is in the 5K range before shifting. Otherwise it jerks the tranny. Any suggestions or comments as what could be the problem?

I've got about 950 miles on it. And during the 600 mile break-in period...I varied the RPMs (but never pushed it beyond 4K) and never kept it at a constant speed as advised to do so by the manual. Did I screw something up?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
481 Posts
i would say thats normal... the 2 to 3 shift seems to be the quickest shift so when at lower rpms it does lurch the drivetrain a bit...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slalom said:
i would say thats normal... the 2 to 3 shift seems to be the quickest shift so when at lower rpms it does lurch the drivetrain a bit...
Slalom,

But this only happens when I'm in "sportshift mode". When I switch back to regular "D" or automatic...I notice that all the shifts are smooth. Any comments or is the computer just smarter :? ?

Spencer

·
Registered
481 Posts
overkast said:
Slalom said:
Slalom,

But this only happens when I'm in "sportshift mode". When I switch back to regular "D" or automatic...I notice that all the shifts are smooth. Any comments or is the computer just smarter :? ?

Spencer
ya Mazda tuned the shifts when in manual mode to be a little quicker than in auto mode... quoted from the press kit:
"Upshift and fourth to second downshift are tuned for brisk response"
:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I feel this harsh shift as well. I thought it was my transmission is having some problem since all other gear shifting seems to be relatively smooth. If this is indeed normal, then I am relieved. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seems alot of car have this setting on the AT since my car has the same problem but not Mazda3

cant wait the S-plan come out

·
Registered
10 Posts
i noticed that too. any 2nd to 3rd shifting seems awkward at low rpm's. if i let 2nd run a little higher on the tach though, it seems smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts