Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any reason why if i'm not COMPLETELY lined up when shifting, i find it much harder to shift into gears, and feel a small grinding feeling, like the gear is snapping into place in 2 or 3 different locations? I drove the car off the lot and didnt feel this until recently. (car is two weeks old). Is this normal, or should I question the dealer about it? It's not a grinding sound, but a grinding/stiff feeling in the stick. I'd much rather the gears always go in smoothly, making for easier shifting and a more fun ride...no?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
I have ATX but I think your problem is a problem and you should talk to the dealership about it. But dealerships being dealerships...let some more people chime in to give you a fighting chance on what the problem might be.

·
Registered
759 Posts
How hard are you trying to force the car into a certain gear? You can't just slam it in, you have to gently push it, then it should glide in smoothly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i noticed that if i sit there and think about each gear, and push it in slowly, it will SOMETIMES go in smooth...i mean, i may just be over-reacting...im just getting nervous because its a brand new car, and I dont remember others feeling this way when i test drove them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
normally its a little harder to shift if its colder out and all your tranny fluids are cold...once everything gets warmed up it should perform better. If thats not the case, maybe u should bring it to the shop.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine's the same way (manual transmission). It seems to be affected by temperature (worse when the car's cold or on cold days), and I believe this is one of the reasons people are changing the transmission fluid for better/different stuff. First to second gear is where I notice it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Off topic
automatic trans
MTX(manual transmission)
I always wondered what the X stands for in MTX and ATX. Is it for EXTREME!! :lol:
I think you guys should call it MT an AT, unless this is the way kids theses days say it. I'm probably too old :?

·
Registered
759 Posts
[quote author=KrisZ link=topic=66700.msg1157778#msg1157778 date=1169226977]
Off topic
automatic trans
MTX(manual transmission)
I always wondered what the X stands for in MTX and ATX. Is it for EXTREME!! :lol:
I think you guys should call it MT an AT, unless this is the way kids theses days say it. I'm probably too old :?
[/quote]

I always wondered that myself.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
probably to not confuse "at" with "AT"....just a guess....

any suggestions as to what tranny fluid i should look into to get rid of this problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
A lot of older modems have a light labeled 'TX' to signal transmission of data. Maybe it originated there? For some reason, it kinda makes sense to me.

I usually use nkT where n = number of ratios, k = kind of trans (manual or auto) and T stands for transmission. IE:

4AT = 4 ratios, automatic transmission
5MT = 5 ratios, manual transmission

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
my car has just recently been harder to shift now too. I never brought my car into the dealer for them to check it out. What do I say to ask them to check on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts