Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sat outside un sub-zero (-25C all day) since last night and I tried to start the car tonight and it had quite a hard time starting. It partially started then died and finally started for real. Anybody have similar problems? What about you boys and gals up here in the cold north? Any problems?

·
Registered
396 Posts
i have the exact same problem.
i went to the dealer, and the guy said that my foot probably wasn't all the way down on the clutch. he said the sensor won't let the car start until the clutch if down all the way. but i'm sure that i always press the clutch in fully to start.

this has happened to my car about 3 or 4 times since i got it two weeks ago.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another thing I found when I started the car tonight, the clutch was hard!!!! :shock: So was the stick... it felt like it was riding in molasses. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow morning when I start the car again. Hopefully it will be better. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have a block heater yet? Does pumping (depressing & releasing) the clutch pedal 3 or 4 times before trying to start the vehicle make a difference?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had a strating issue to. Just brought it in today, they did a starter system check on it after leaving it out all night. Said they did find an issue and were ordering me a part to arrive next week.

Though my starting issue is weird. Sometimes it woldn't turn over and it was sitting in the garage all night. Then once I left it out for 10 hours in 18F and it started in under a second the next day. Weird stuff like that made it seem more like a system issue than a weather issue.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
bobmtb said:
My car sat outside un sub-zero (-25C all day) since last night and I tried to start the car tonight and it had quite a hard time starting. It partially started then died and finally started for real. Anybody have similar problems? What about you boys and gals up here in the cold north? Any problems?
Same here...if I start having issues I'll have them put a better battery. Nothing more frustrating than seeing your neighbor start his POS and you can't start your brand new car. A block heater would help but I can't plug it anywhere so this is not an option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zc1 said:
Do you have a block heater yet? Does pumping (depressing & releasing) the clutch pedal 3 or 4 times before trying to start the vehicle make a difference?
No Block heater is available yet for the Mazda3. As for pumping the clutch, it didn't make much difference. The car still had trouble starting this morning, but less so compared to yesterday. I guess the period between starts is less.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
We do are talking about pretty extreme weather right now.....I know we had -30C last night. That's pretty tough on anything. My solution is that I go for a drive during the evening. That way the next morning it seems easier to start.

Now I know why Nissan have their climate quality test center in Canada. If it starts here it will start anywhere lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
bobmtb said:
That's another thing I found when I started the car tonight, the clutch was hard!!!! :shock: So was the stick... it felt like it was riding in molasses. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow morning when I start the car again. Hopefully it will be better. :wink:
The drive train is going to be stiff when it's that cold including the shifter well and clutch. I plan to swap the tranny and diff fluids over to synthetic in the spring - they will not thicken up the way dino oils do.
It's been between -25 and -40 here for the last 2 weeks - I have not had a starting problem, however, I have a block heater (who said there is no block heater for this car - did I read that earlier post right?) - it did need to turn over 3 or 4 times one morning but nothing to worry about.
One thing I did notice is that the brake calibers are freezing up on my GT - may have something to do with the spoke wheels allowing snow and ice to get in around the routers. It's not dangerous but it is annoying (and noisy)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, what Black Said...If you live up in the Great White North and have a standard tranny, think about Synthetic fluids. I changed mine out when I had a Mustang, made a world of difference on those -25* F mornings.
IMO running pure syn for all of your fluids is the way to go. Especially if you plan on keeping the car 7-10 years.
Cheers, and stay warm!
PS it is currently 55*F in Bosnia today!
Tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
The clutch switch answer sounds like a crock.

Once the car starts the clutch switch is out of the loop.

Have you guys up "nort" thought about going to a full synthetic oil for the extreme cold?

It would give you much smoother shifts during cold operation.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
It is best to let a motor get a good 10k miles on it before switching to synthetic.

There is a guy here in colorado that builds hotrod engines, and thats what he recommends. I dont know technically why, but I trust he knows his poop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I doubt its anything to do with how far you're presing the clutch down, though if its feeling a little stiff, then you might want to look into getting some clutch fluid for colder weather, don't know if they make it or not, but i'm willing to bet they do. If anyone is interested, there are a few remote start kits out, a little on the priceier side, that will start the car if it gets down to a certain temp, just to keep the car in good starting conidition. They usually work with MTX and have anti-grind starters. Though you shouldn't have that much trouble starting in the cold in the first place, should you?

·
Registered
89 Posts
there are remote starters out for the car? i thought because of the imobilizer, no remote starters would work...

atleast this is what i have heard from a friend who drives a Jetta with immobilizer...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup

Yeah,

the first thing I noticed when it got cold (minus 25) was the flywheel cranking away slowwwwwly, then finally the satisfying start of the engine. Also the steering was quite stiff.

Everything felt sticky. Tight steering, slow release on the clutch, gear shift slowing going where it needed to go, not zippy at all. After driving it about 30 minutes, everything was fine but the steering was still tight. I found that AFTER 30 mintues, the steering was fine, and the shifting became very very smooth as per usual.

At those temperatures, I'm not surprised. At least it still started...eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts