Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the guys running the Haltech from Juan, to connect it to a PC do I need any software or special wire to connect it? Also how do I hook my wideband to it to see my AF?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
it should come with software or you can download it from their site. the connector is included as well.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the software is available on their website

you'll prob need a 9 pin to USB adapter if you use a ''new'' laptop
Be sure to check to which COM it is connected

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yeah as stated you will need a "good" 9pin to USB adapter, the Haltech is know to be picky with it. I got a good one from Walmart and a 9pin extension from RadioShack.

There are Haltech manuals to connect the Innovate wideband up. Haltech has a wideband also which is the Innovate so all the instructions apply.....If you are using a Innovate WB.
I did notice that the 1-5V didn't work on my set-up, I needed to use the 0-1V setting.

You will basically hook one of the analog outputs on the back of the gauge to the o2wire that should be included with your wiring harness for the Haltech. Then you will have a afr by volts reading on the Haltech data screen and can log them in for datalogging.
Depending on what wideband you have the afr by volts can be very accurate and helpful for tuning.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
i've noticed that most of you guys are using the innovative wideband. i have an autometer....would the innovative work better with the haltech?

hey herb, could you update your sig? i got excited about your brakes but they have been sold. :(

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=69673.msg1212730#msg1212730 date=1171663250]
i've noticed that most of you guys are using the innovative wideband. i have an autometer....would the innovative work better with the haltech?

hey herb, could you update your sig? i got excited about your brakes but they have been sold. :(
[/quote]

I don't see any reason to get the Innovate if you have another brand.
The Innovate will datalogg, you can recalibrate it and you can program the analog outputs to what ever you want. And it will let you know if there are any problems with the sensor it self, the LEDS on the gauge and the gague face are customizable.
Only think I don't like about it is it doesn't match the others gauges in size.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=69673.msg1212717#msg1212717 date=1171662916]
Yeah as stated you will need a "good" 9pin to USB adapter, the Haltech is know to be picky with it....
[/quote]

Very picky! But I did get from ebay that works well.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=69673.msg1213926#msg1213926 date=1171739890]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=69673.msg1212717#msg1212717 date=1171662916]
Yeah as stated you will need a "good" 9pin to USB adapter, the Haltech is know to be picky with it....
[/quote]

Very picky! But I did get from ebay that works well.
[/quote]

I had about five different high end ones that I use on other things and they all didn't work on the Haltech.
The 9pin to USB connection is the biggest complaint about the Haltech.
Even Haltech recommended a high dollar one to get. But the one at Walmart was about $25 and worked good.

Only other problem that is also very common is the port problem. I fixed it by disabling all but one port on the laptop and have not had a problem again.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There is a fix for the port issue, I can walk you thru it if anyone needs it just pm me. The port issue is one of the biggest things but it's an easy fix. And many times it will ask you for a password (which you haven't set) when the ports are wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
[quote author=Xenon929 link=topic=69673.msg1215362#msg1215362 date=1171833183]
Yes, I will post it late tonight when I'm home. I'm currently at the library.
[/quote]

You should be studying.... :nono: :blitz: :D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
COM PORT set up:

-Start
-Control panel
-System
-Hardware tab
-Device manager
-+ Click on Ports (COM & LPT)
Click on Port 1 or 2 or 3...5 Whichever doesn't say "ïn use"
(Or click enable in some systems)
And apply and OK all the way out of there.

THEN:
Open Halwin sofware:
-Set up
-Com port set upWhich ever comport you selected at the control panel select now under the halwin safware COM PORT 1, 2...5
-Apply <----- IMPORTANT!!!
-OK
Walla........
Hope this helps with all your COM PORT issues.

X
-

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the innovate wideband but will I need a gauge to see what the AF is or will the Haltech, when connected to a PC be able to tell me the AF?

Also, there is a grey wire labeled (I think, its at home) O2 closed loop. Is that the wire I use to connect to the wideband to get a AF on my laptop when tuning?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The Haltech will not show you AFR it will only show you Volts. You need to know what Volt equals what AFR. You can have it display on the Gauge page within the Haltech that shows most of the vital readings, but again it is in Volts. It is alot easier to read the Innovate gauge.

You could also have the Innovate LC-1 and Haltech both connected to the laptop and have both the AFR and fuel map displayed for tuning.

I have all of the formulas to figure out what Volt equals what AFR and will find them and post them soon.

You only need the w/b connected to the Haltech for closed loop control and/or for data logging.

The data logging is pretty cool and let you know where there are issues and rich/lean spots on the map once you figure out how to use it.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Haltech works :klavergreg: :klavergreg:

I just connected to my PC to make sure it had power. I wish it had a LED light to see it powered but its good.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts