Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my first car I bought on my own I went from a Volkswagen Jetta gli and I guess the 3s okay but my Jetta was so much livelier I wish I could coaks some more power out of this thing... bleh

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
welcome!

Try some of the free / basic mods, they may absolutely help liven the car up a bit.

NA Power Stage series:
1. http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=242448
2. http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=244300
3. http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=254222

Some free / cheap mods to do to absolutely help.

Ground the throttle body (free)
Timing advance (free)
Solid shifter bushings (if you have manual) ($25 from JBR)
Rear motor mount (Anywhere from $100-$200, and make sure your passenger mount isn't busted! It makes the car feel weird and sloppy)
Intake ($100-$300)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish schools still taught punctuation and grammar.
And I wish people weren't such assholes about writing on a phone and not wanting to put a period every time I finish a sentence. I still make sense so why bother? -_- anyways thanks for the info it is a sky active 2012 3i touring. Feels like a small SUV compared to my Jetta planing on dropping it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
I'm confused by the purpose of this thread. Did you not test drive the vehicle? Why did you buy it in the first place? Did you make this thread just to say the car's crap and you couldn't wait to sell it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropping it means lowering it you putz... -_- anyways no its a great car great mpg enough power to make it almost fun just wish I had more. But handling compared to my gli sucks which I figured it would and I don't mind sway bar and coilovers should reel her in maybe some beefier tires and rims but I'd kinda like to keep the 40 mpg I've been averaging so we will see

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^Nice welcoming. This is not a means of seroius communication. why does it matter? you got the point.

Anyways, you were setting yourself up for a disappointment if you expected the 3 to out shine the gli on a power standpoint. you did go from F/I to N/A. thats your own fault.

Do what nuse said if you want to increase some performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no I knew I was I just didn't fully realize how much till I've been driving it the last week I mean its not that bad I just miss the turbo honestly maybe they'll figure out a way to turbo the sky engine I mean for a 4 cyl straight it has a lot of power and I bought it for reliability my VW was never very good in that department but it seems like this 3 won't be much better it seems to have a hard time starting up in the morning is that normal?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
high compression engine; it'll always be more difficult to start up compared to low compression engines.

I'll be amazed the day someone tries to seriously boost a skyactiv-G 2.0
I'll be more amazed if it lasts a week lol

It's a 2.0 in a rather hefty body, it isn't the sportiest thing in the world, but some shorter springs, rear sway bar (go racing beat), that thing will pick up pretty quickly.

IMO 3s are seriously very reliable, there are quite a few guys out there with over 250,000 miles (mostly highway miles) but still... highway or not that's a lot of miles; some are even still on their original engine.

Take care of it, it WILL last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm excited to see what this thing can do but okay I wasn't sure if it should be that rough at start but makes sense. It has 500 miles on it now bought it at 95 seems great so far filled up once about 30 miles ago so good range on it but yeah I plan on taking care of it I mean its my first brand new car I don't think I could of made a better choice kinda sad the aftermarket for this isn't that big yet but I didn't expect it to be yet another year or two hopefully they'll come out with some nice kits foritf that don't look ricey

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
There is plenty of aftermarket support for the Gen2 3. I doubt it'll get much bigger as the Gen3 is on its way next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see much. I've seen like 2 different bumpers/ grills and 1 side skirt and a different back bumper really about it maybe I expect to much my VW had tons of aftermarket stuff available

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Dropping it means lowering it you putz... -_- anyways no its a great car great mpg enough power to make it almost fun just wish I had more. But handling compared to my gli sucks which I figured it would and I don't mind sway bar and coilovers should reel her in maybe some beefier tires and rims but I'd kinda like to keep the 40 mpg I've been averaging so we will see
Can't have power AND economy in most cases. I used to work at a VW dealer and I don't know how you can say the 3 doesn't handle well compared to your VW....then again my 3 weighs 500 pounds lighter then yours so IDK.

Also Quote from Car and Driver:
"The steering is still precise and communicative, the brakes stay great, the chassis remains supremely confident, and the crisp-shifting manual—a gearbox we didn’t think could improve—has gotten better.  Acceleration is swifter than that of other fuel-economy specials"

What more do you want for what you bought?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Lol "next year"
;)

Oh compared to the VW crowd we have like an ounce of aftermarket backing by comparison of their metric tons. There's just no comparison there.

Most of us do what we can, there are a few companies that make parts specifically for this crowd, just gotta get some interest.
Simple is better.

Lower it, rear sway bar, maybe some cool gadgets since it is the sky model.
Don't expect much engine mods wise.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah I'm excited to see what this thing can do but okay I wasn't sure if it should be that rough at start but makes sense. It has 500 miles on it now bought it at 95 seems great so far filled up once about 30 miles ago so good range on it but yeah I plan on taking care of it I mean its my first brand new car I don't think I could of made a better choice kinda sad the aftermarket for this isn't that big yet but I didn't expect it to be yet another year or two hopefully they'll come out with some nice kits foritf that don't look ricey
you could still do an intake, exhaust and HFC. not sure if there are any headers that will bolt on. optimize your TB and remove your VTCS if it is removable on your model. also see if a shop will lighten up your flywheel. i had that done and there was a nice improvement.

you should have got the 2.5L though if you were looking for more power.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
There will never be a skyactiv header; there's a reason why Mazda spent like a solid year designing the header for the skyG motor.

You can do short ram intake but you'll see a loss of MPG.
Exhaust is easy enough; once again though, little gain, MPG loss (on the skyactiv)

Flywheel is an awful lot of money for little gain. Once again we're talking about the skyactiv, everything about the motor is lighter than the hefty 2.5L model.
Bet the VTCS is quite complicated compared to the older gens, but I've no idea.

Once again it falls into the "why get a skyactiv when you want to make it fast / mod it"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meh this is more a of a daily driver car I bought it because I was having a lot of issues with the Jetta but I'd still like it to be somewhat fun when I get bored until I can afford to pick up another dub =) but my gli stuck to the road this thing sorta doesn't it had body roll out the ass compared to my Jetta and I expected that. I'm kinda surprised there's not a bigger crowd with these cars tho=\ probably going to do suspension stiff up my chassis and call it done. And the reason I didn't go for a 2.5 is I'd rather have a vr6 or a 1.8 t if I was going to really mod something out my gli ate up most anything it came around till it started acting up I sold it and found out my turbo decided to blow up the next week.....so I feel I made the right choice lol I just wish there was a little more zoom zoom in this sky active engine but guess we cant have everything its by no means a bad car but I don't love driving it like I did my gli

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Car is still brand new lol it came out barely a year and a half ago!

For a daily, get some lowering springs, a racing beat rear sway, and look into corksport about body stiffening.

For $1000 you can change the feeling of the car from night to day.
While stock can absolutely hold its own, it was made for comfort more than anything else.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts