Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Doesn't the MS3 already have a brace (reinforcement over the base 3) running the length of the tunnel? Thought I may have heard that...

For the aftermarket braces, I wonder how much gain there is versus the weight of the components. Bang vs. buck vs. weight?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
from Mazda

Structual Stiffness
"Take the MAZDASPEED3 to the limit - it's ready for it. Although very light and compact, the body is designed extra stiff to handle the demans of performance driving. In fact, the MAZDASPEED3 has the same overall rigidity as a car fitted with strut tower bars. This prevents the deformation of the front suspension towers and maintains correct suspension geometry. In the lower body, a large closed section memeber is employed to reinforce the floor tunnel. Improving the torsional rigidity of the whole body.
"
This will only add weight.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
[quote author=stugotz99 link=topic=67637.msg1172890#msg1172890 date=1170002832]
Doesn't the MS3 already have a brace (reinforcement over the base 3) running the length of the tunnel? Thought I may have heard that...

For the aftermarket braces, I wonder how much gain there is versus the weight of the components. Bang vs. buck vs. weight?
[/quote]

the one on the speed3 looks like so:

the regular 3 has to small plates across the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
GTS just emailed us a list of their parts that fit the MS3, that Mid chassis brace is one that fits. We have yet to take the stock brace off to do comparisons. We just know how everyone wants to know what new stuff is out, and available, so we are announcing it. Comparisons are pending upon receipt. They tend to be the typical GT Spec high quality, so I will let you all know.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
When we get in our shipment, we will compare the two by weight. There is a good chance that the stiffness will be greater with GT-Spec. OF course, we will need to receive it to know for sure.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
^^^ the gt-spec will be much lighter. the brace is just a bit heavier than the 2 little brackets on the regular 3.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
cool. I just gotta know..how do you know this? i know about their other product being lighter, but do not want to assume anything.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
well i have the brace on my 3. the stock bracing is made of steel and is very heavy, the gt-spec is aluminum and is very light given its size. i dont know for sure if it is lighter than the brace on the speed3, but i do know that it is similar weight to the small braces on the regular 3.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
ok, sweet! notice a difference? I am thinking of getting it.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
well i got the mid brace and the 4 point brace (same spots braced in the speed3), i noticed that turn in is a bit more precise, and there are less rattles in the cab now. im not sure if you will notice any difference with the speed3 though, since it already has braces in the same location.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
i am just thinking if there was any point to get the brace, would be stiffer tan stock. The weight does not effect me much, as I am a big guy. Shaving a few lbs on my car would be best with me losing weight myself.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
i dont see them being any stiffer than the braces that come stock with the speed3. id look to adding braces where there are none, vs replacing what comes from the factory.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Yeah, I don't see much or a reason to get this for a Speed3 unless you just need to spend $90 or whatever it costs. As stated, if you need stiffer I'd add braces where there are none, but in my humble opinion I'd get stiffer anti-roll bars first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts