Mazda3 Forums banner
1801 - 1820 of 1834 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
When I did it, I originally grounded to the chassis where the battery ground leads to... after about a week my battery bursted with battery acid everywhere.

I thus re-wired it to the negative battery terminal. Then I noticed that my a/c light flickers and wanes in and out at times and sometimes turns off by itself... I did notice a difference when I first put it on, but the symptoms I get may not be worth it for me. I've had it on for over a year now.
Either you did something wrong (cant imagine how, worlds easiest mod) or you're having completely unrelated things go wrong out of pure coincidence.
Connecting your TB to your chassis CANNOT cause any of the things you're describing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I did the advanced timing mod, it was a huge difference, but not necessarily for the better. Yes, the revs were noticeably snappier/more responsive/faster, but at the cost of torque... let me explain, normally when going up a hill I can steadily hold my foot on the pedal and I'll maintain my speed.. but after doing it, I noticeably was loosing speed on my same routes... so I would have to floor it to maintain my speed... weird phenomenon, but logical... as it advances your firing(not complete combustion.... My gas mileage after a few months was noticeably worse(a lot worse actually, I could not get more than 29-30mpg on the same routes I've been taking for years) and I just got annoyed so about a year ago I moved it back, but slightly more than stock... gas mileage has noticeably improved(33-34 on the same routes).
Yeah I tried the advanced timing mod recently and switched it back after about a week. The car seemed to run like crap with it (and 91 octane), even after an ECU reset and 75 miles. The engine just didn't seem to be happy. The power was lurchy and not noticeably increased outside of those lurches, and my gas mileage was horrible (15-16 MPG).

I'd love to know how people are getting such great gas mileage in general compared to me though. I'm averaging anywhere from 22-26 MPG with 60-70% highway driving, and this is with a 2.0 (ATX). Granted, I do have a lead foot...

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I'd love to know how people are getting such great gas mileage in general compared to me though. I'm averaging anywhere from 22-26 MPG with 60-70% highway driving, and this is with a 2.0 (ATX). Granted, I do have a lead foot...
That's really low man. My wife's 2.0 atx makes at least 30 or better on the highway. I'm seeing 31-33 on the highway with my 2.3L manual. Call me surprised after my 2.3 Auto used to make 29 mpg highway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's really low man. My wife's 2.0 atx makes at least 30 or better on the highway. I'm seeing 31-33 on the highway with my 2.3L manual. Call me surprised after my 2.3 Auto used to make 29 mpg highway.
Thanks man, I'll get it checked out by my mechanic I guess.

You shouldn't be surprised by better gas mileage in a manual though, they're supposed to get better gas mileage. :grin:

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Thanks man, I'll get it checked out by my mechanic I guess.

You shouldn't be surprised by better gas mileage in a manual though, they're supposed to get better gas mileage. :grin:
From 28-29 to 31-33, I didn't expect that much difference.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so annoying

Alright, I'm new to the whole DIY car mod world, so I thought I'd start with something easy, which apparently this is. However, I can't even get the nuts loose to view my battery, let alone attach wires to anything. Everything seems to require heavy duty tools. How is everyone else doing this so easily?! :huh:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Alright, I'm new to the whole DIY car mod world, so I thought I'd start with something easy, which apparently this is. However, I can't even get the nuts loose to view my battery, let alone attach wires to anything. Everything seems to require heavy duty tools. How is everyone else doing this so easily?! :huh:
What year is your car? You don't need any tools to get to the battery. What is your definition of a heavy duty tool?

·
Registered
17 Posts
stupid question I did this to my mz3 and felt a noticeable differents when shifting. well now my girl friend is wondering if i can do it to here mz2 which is an automatic... so basically my question is can this be done to an automatic and will it even do anything.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
It probably does more for an auto than a manual so yes. As far as doing it on a mazda2, well I haven't checked out the engine bay to see how well it is grounded as is. Either way though, can't hurt to try. Worst case is it does nothing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I followed their diagram props to them and used up my old sub wires :D I think it's placebo effect bro. But more grounding as long as it's done right can't hurt. I think it may help as the ITB is plastic and there has to be a static charge built up through that *THING* :)

1801 - 1820 of 1834 Posts