Mazda3 Forums banner
1781 - 1800 of 1834 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Done did it!!! I just tried this mod on a used 04 with 100k mi. I just bought for a daily commuter w/ a new transmission and motor mounts and other extras. I notice the lag from 1st gear off of stops, and was curious on if I can fix it or if it was because I bought an older model that has mileage but was kept up in pretty damn good condition. Anyway I researched and I saw a few vids and and the posts on this mod. I then pulled a black 8ga. wire from the trunk of the car that was used as a ground for a system. It was the perfect length, and I hooked it up just like the vids and posts on this subject. After it was installed I gave it a quick test drive around the block and the change was noticeable! No more lagging or delaying out of 1st and it is more responsive on other gears as well. I recommend this really cheap and easy modification.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I didn't notice a subjective change. I also used my torque app and logged throttle position and pedal position before and after and didn't see much difference. There were some minor differences in some of the graphs, like after the grounding the pedal position numbers seemed to change, which is weird. After looking at the data for many hours, I just don't think it made a conclusive difference. One thing that I saw did not change was that the throttle opens to wide open just as quickly with or without either way. 2008 2.0 atx.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Isn't the throttle body different on 04-06 cars then on 07-09 cars?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your link isn't working.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
04-05 is the larger 60mm TB unless it was a PZEV, 06+ are the smaller 55mm TB (which is the same as the 04-05 PZEV)
And the newer 2.5s use the older 60mm TB
PZEV didn't come out until 2006, which is when they developed the smaller 55mm TB, which then became standard on all 3's from then on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
This definitely made a difference on my '05 2.0l ATX. Much smoother. Less throaty growl from the Borla (it's more of a "consistent" growl now), but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Does the advanced timing mod actually make a noticeable cumulative difference with this? Or vice versa? I haven't done it yet, waiting for warmer weather here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, this thread is still going? Anything new been said? I doubt it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This definitely made a difference on my '05 2.0l ATX. Much smoother. Less throaty growl from the Borla (it's more of a "consistent" growl now), but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Does the advanced timing mod actually make a noticeable cumulative difference with this? Or vice versa? I haven't done it yet, waiting for warmer weather here.
This "mod" should in no way change the way your exhaust sounds. The physics just make no sense as everything is staying exactly the same. Theoretically, the throttle plate just opens sightly quicker when you mash the pedal. Is it possible you are imagining this?

·
Registered
481 Posts
This "mod" should in no way change the way your exhaust sounds. The physics just make no sense as everything is staying exactly the same. Theoretically, the throttle plate just opens sightly quicker when you mash the pedal. Is it possible you are imagining this?
Nope. And it's not that it changes the sound, it changes the throttle response to be more even instead of lurchy. As a result you get different, more even sound, at least I did. Before it would growl, and now it drones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow, this thread is still going? Anything new been said? I doubt it.

When I did it, I originally grounded to the chassis where the battery ground leads to... after about a week my battery bursted with battery acid everywhere.

I thus re-wired it to the negative battery terminal. Then I noticed that my a/c light flickers and wanes in and out at times and sometimes turns off by itself... I did notice a difference when I first put it on, but the symptoms I get may not be worth it for me. I've had it on for over a year now.

·
Registered
310 Posts

I did the advanced timing mod, it was a huge difference, but not necessarily for the better. Yes, the revs were noticeably snappier/more responsive/faster, but at the cost of torque... let me explain, normally when going up a hill I can steadily hold my foot on the pedal and I'll maintain my speed.. but after doing it, I noticeably was loosing speed on my same routes... so I would have to floor it to maintain my speed... weird phenomenon, but logical... as it advances your firing(not complete combustion.... My gas mileage after a few months was noticeably worse(a lot worse actually, I could not get more than 29-30mpg on the same routes I've been taking for years) and I just got annoyed so about a year ago I moved it back, but slightly more than stock... gas mileage has noticeably improved(33-34 on the same routes).

1781 - 1800 of 1834 Posts