Mazda3 Forums banner

Grounding your Throttle Body? . .

427K views 2K replies 638 participants last post by  shipo 
digi0123 said:
Another plus, if you purchase mazdaspeed parts and it breaks something, wouldn't that be a mazda problem? They're parts broke your car? Keeping all in the warranty family and such.
I'd be willing to bet that anything not stock even if it says Mazda on and you got it installed at the dealer will void your warranty if IT cause failure to other parts.

AKJohnny said:
Ok, this might be a stupid question...from this post I can't tell exactly what this fix does but, is there any advantage to doing this on a car with Automatic transmission? :dunno:
Well It will not work on every car, I did it and I did not notice a change at all. If it does work for you then I'd say you would notice better throttle response.

Oricle said:
i chose the top rear one, just made more sence to me.
I did the bottom rear one, it hides it better. I even drilled a hole in the battery box and ran the ground wire though it to the negative battery post.

El Ropo said:
Maybe because it doesn't work on all cars!
I did it a long long time ago and did not notice anything at all.
LOL. Before I grounded my ETB, I was trying to train myself to let off on the gas before I pushed in the clutch. No need for that when the ETB actually responds quicker, and doesn't overrev between gears.

I'm curious as to EXACTLY HOW YOU GROUNDED YOUR ETB, cuz it made a huge difference in throttle performance for me. But you didn't notice a difference. I honestly don't understand how results on the same (model)car can be so different. We are all talking about a Mazda 3 with manual tranny, and a 2.3 L engine.... right?.......

Maybe you upgraded the ground to your battery before you did this??? any details would be nice. Just "It didn't work for me" really isn't much help.
It is more rare to have the same exact model of car to have the same results than different.
What more do you need? I did this when I first got the Mazda3. I installed 4gauge from the throttle body to the Negative battery post, simply as that.
Maybe it is just me not beliving in these cheap mods, but there was just no gain in throttle response or anything from this mod.
From messing around with the car you get a better feel from removing the splash guard under the car.

ryanazarko said:
the reason it makes your car faster is because of the 'placebo effect'
I actually have to agree here for once.

The reason behind these grounding kits is that the from the factory the car is not grounded properly.
But like I said it could possible work on some cars, but not all will benefit from this.

El Ropo said:
AzMz3 said:
I installed 4gauge from the throttle body to the Negative battery post, simply as that.
Hmm, so before you installed the 4 gauge, your ETB didn't have a delay? or is there still a delay after installation?

If you have any of that 4 gauge leftover, might I suggest replacing the battery to chassis ground wire?

No placebo effect here, you can actually watch the RPMs drop when you let off on the gas.

And for all of the confused out there. This isn't supposed to give you more power, just quicker throttle response!
The throttle response has been great since the day I got the car. And yes I would have noticed. One thing is fact, not all cars are the same!

Now I am not saying that it won't work on some cars and you should not do it. But I will stick with my orginal statement that it will not work on all cars!

Is this a bad mod, no way. So try it if it works good.

Fox Fader said:
I would go larger. Or double or triple the 18 gauge.
It really doesn't matter which gauge you use as long as you keep telling your self it works. You don't know exactly how or why and can't describe how, but it works. :roll:

[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=8848.msg338761#msg338761 date=1120848521]
Nology wires are a rip-off
[/quote]

Thats the best comment in this whole thread. Even free they are a rip off.

[quote author=MrTea link=topic=8848.msg340302#msg340302 date=1121036179]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=8848.msg338981#msg338981 date=1120864480]

Thats the best comment in this whole thread. Even free they are a rip off.
[/quote]

hows that?
[/quote]

Off topic, but there is not a better system out there than stock. That has been stated many, many times.

[quote author=MrTea link=topic=8848.msg341836#msg341836 date=1121196385]
ouch, that was low...

i haven't done much to my car, maybe that's why??
[/quote]

I think it is funny how the ones that are really into performance don't notice anything and most if not all of the people not into performance claim they notice a difference.
That might tell you something right there.
:lol:placebo:lol:
This thread is like a roller coaster. It is a cheap mod to do, but there are no claims that is does anything, and there is no proof. There is actually more proof of how it doesn't work than anything. So take it with a grain of salt and either do it or don't, but the forum is getting old with the butt dyno claims.
:lol:

[quote author=chadha link=topic=8848.msg367133#msg367133 date=1123643683]
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=8848.msg367035#msg367035 date=1123638644]
CHAD! That thread has nothing to do with grounding a throttle body. The 3 is 'Drive-by-Wire', just like many high-end vehicles, way more advanced than any cable controlled TB. That's an 'old technology' modification.
[/quote]

i never said it was about grounding the throttle body...but about getting more and quicker response from the engine by making a MINOR adjustment... just like grounding the throttle body which is inexpensive...the mod for the Civics is FREE...unless of course u charge urself for Labour, then u are a moron just like anyone who believes its impossible for a car to get more response by grounding the throttle body...

"gee cletus, y wouldnt mazda spend that extra 2 cents or whatever it is"... y? cuz y wouldnt mazda spend X amount of $$$ to include a cold air intake from AEM...y wouldnt mazda spend X amount of $$$ like the new Cadillac V-series to come with Brembo brakes.....y wont they come with stock turbos???

shit u could ask that question about anything...becuz they didnt...thats what they leave up to u and to manufacturers of auto parts...to modify and add upgrades that arent available from Mazda or Honda or whatever....
[/quote]

I think that is proof right there that this definately works.

It is a cheap mod, it can cause no harm. But in the end...didn't do nothing!

I took mine off again and hmmm...nothing.

As I stated most that think this is doing something are the ones that are not into performance mods.

But they do it on Hondas so it must work...:lol:

[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=8848.msg376009#msg376009 date=1124454722]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=8848.msg367400#msg367400 date=1123669775]

I took mine off again and hmmm...nothing.

As I stated most that think this is doing something are the ones that are not into performance mods.

But they do it on Hondas so it must work...:lol:
[/quote]

it does work, what more proof do you need, they showed a statistically significant difference in the time that the intake responded to a given throttle input. Throttle response IS something thats important to performance people (I am one of those performance people), it can make for quicker double clutch downshifts, it can make the car easier to launch, it can do a lot of good things. Responsiveness is a good thing. From your previous posts, I understand that you don't notice a difference in throttle response (all of your mocking of even the concept of throttle resopnse in intake threads mainly). Sure, the difference is 8/100's of a second, its very slight (although still statistically significant), but if you're into "performance" so much like you say you are, I would think that you would notice it, I know I do, mainly as I said on double clutch downshifts, I've had to adjust the size of "blip" I give the gas to rev match, since it responds slightly quicker.

Quit it with your high and mighty attitude that you are the only one who "truly cares about performance mods", we all do, or we wouldn't be here (this thread IS in the powertrain modifications forum). Its arrogant jerks like you who discourage others from trying to learn about their cars. . .

and the thread lives on, maybe this one can compete with the how many 5 year olds could you beat up if you really tried (if you've never seen the thread before, check it out, its classic)

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/s...&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=9&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1
[/quote]

I have taken mine off and on many times, with mods and with out. And nothing, there is no rock solid scientic fact or proof that it does anything. As for a grounding kit, I have seen them work.
Funny how you claim to be into performance yet have no mods?
Just like it is funny how easily you are to believe these things.

No need to take it too the heart, if you think it works for you then good. I can see that it is probally the only "performance mod you can get!

So call me arrogant all you want, and I have yet to discourage anyone.
Opinions are like assholes, we all have them....But you think yours smells like roses! :lol:

Grow up and buy some mods then come back.

[quote author=dannyk6 link=topic=8848.msg410976#msg410976 date=1127016606]
I just tried it today. I had jumper cables, so I clipped one end to the negative terminal on the battery and the other to the throttle body. Started the car up, revved the engine a few times, didnt really notice any difference. The engine still dosnt respond to a quick tap of the gas until my foot is almost off the pedal. Took it for a test drive, still didnt notice any difference.

Just to compare I unclamped it, and took it for another short drive, still felt the same as before. I guess my car is one of the ones that this mod dosnt really make a difference. Anyone have any other tips or anything I can try to improve the throttle responce?
[/quote]

As much as I don't think this mod works, I seriously doubt you could tell a difference with jumper cables. It has to atleast be properly grounded and jumper cables will not do it. I hope you didn't drive with them attached either...not too bright to do!

[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=8848.msg603889#msg603889 date=1141439875]
[quote author=ilikeflyfishing link=topic=8848.msg603474#msg603474 date=1141416246]
I just did this mod. My idle RPM has dropped to 750 RPM. Never seen it that low. Guess lower idle can't hurt; less stress on engine. Perhaps it is a placebo effect, but I notice my car no longer having that power surge at ~3500 RPM and responding quicker. For 5 bucks and 5 mins of my time, I don't care. I can always take it off if I need to.

I posted a question about grounding on another car forum and nothing but insults saying I'm an idiot for trying this. Idiots.
[/quote]

Go back and link them to our info, cause it works. If it didn't Mazda wouldn't sell a kit for it... :D
[/quote]

Mazda sells a TB ground kit or a complete grounding kit.
If it is a ground kit does the instructions say to ground the TB or is it a universal kit with various spots to attach too.

I have seen and understand how a complete grounding kit will work, but just grounding a TB I don't know about that.
I have done it before and noticd nothing.
I have even put my car back to stock and tried it again and noticed nothing.

I just don't by it.

[quote author=thebeansoldier link=topic=8848.msg604117#msg604117 date=1141466620]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=8848.msg603996#msg603996 date=1141448927]
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=8848.msg603889#msg603889 date=1141439875]
[quote author=ilikeflyfishing link=topic=8848.msg603474#msg603474 date=1141416246]
I just did this mod. My idle RPM has dropped to 750 RPM. Never seen it that low. Guess lower idle can't hurt; less stress on engine. Perhaps it is a placebo effect, but I notice my car no longer having that power surge at ~3500 RPM and responding quicker. For 5 bucks and 5 mins of my time, I don't care. I can always take it off if I need to.

I posted a question about grounding on another car forum and nothing but insults saying I'm an idiot for trying this. Idiots.
[/quote]

Go back and link them to our info, cause it works. If it didn't Mazda wouldn't sell a kit for it... :D
[/quote]

Mazda sells a TB ground kit or a complete grounding kit.
If it is a ground kit does the instructions say to ground the TB or is it a universal kit with various spots to attach too.

I have seen and understand how a complete grounding kit will work, but just grounding a TB I don't know about that.
I have done it before and noticd nothing.
I have even put my car back to stock and tried it again and noticed nothing.

I just don't by it.
[/quote]

Did you do it on a saturday? Cause new installs only work best on saturdays ;)
[/quote]

Really. I think it was a Sunday...that must be it.