Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1834 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it. I went out and bought 10 gauge wire and two connectors. I connected the top right bolt on the TB to the negative connecor on the battery. Now, I didn't notice any difference at all in HP, BUT big BUT here . . the response is much quicker. Enough so, that now when i shift it no longer revs up in between shifts. Now, it stays in its place or starts to go down. (the way it should in my opnion) It is also a lot better in 1st and 2nd gear with acceleration from 1600 up for some odd reason.
So in my final opion I believe that the grounding of the throttle body is a very useful mod. It costs nothing at all(I think it only took me $4.27 and 10 minutes) for something that DOES work!
This was no a BUTT DYNO, this was shifting and NOTICING THE DIFFERENCE!!! I reccomend anyone that can do this mod.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish i Could, btu I'm at work at the moment. Maybe I can do it tomorrow. It really isn't that hard.
Need:
1. 10 guage wire (black preferably)
2. 2 end connectors. Full circles or U shaped.(Be sure they fit the screws)
3. Pair of wire cutters
4. Pliers

-First take the 10 gauge wire and measure from the top right bolt on the TB, to the negative screw on the battery. Then, add about 2 inches extra.
-Now take the wire cutters and cut about 4 cm from the top. Stick that into the end connectors ( 0 or U shaped) and clamp it shut with the pliers.
-Find the top right bolt that connects the throttle body to the plastic mainifold. It is visible from looking from above easily!
-Take the bolt out and put the connector over the bolt and screw it back in. NOT TO TIGHT!!! You don't want to strip it, but you don't want it to rattle around :)
- Now take the other and and strip it too and clamp it.
-Now comes the time for running it to the battery. I chose to run it under all the hoses and through the ECU cover to the Negative batter screw. This was very LOW key and stock looking in my opinon.

There ya go. Hope that is somewhat good. (a little stoned, but still alive :) )

·
Registered
760 Posts
What he said, except, I used 8 Ga red wire with black wire loom, and connected to the battery's chassis ground point, instead of to the battery using some leftover gold plated connectors I had hanging around.

I immediately noticed the difference in throttle response. No more delay, yay!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Does this mod have any gains for an auto tranny?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Now that I think about it....would there be a reason for the delay the throttle body has? Would grounding cause more wear on the throttle body? No? Yes?

The engine isn't something I was to screw with so if this is a valid mod, coolio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is the TB located

Hi this is my first time here and I was woundering if you guys could tell me where the TB is located this is the first time I have ever had a car with a TB like this any help would be great. :?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Looks to me, it grounds the TB to the battery, replaces the current chassis ground with a larger gauge, and from the engine to the body.

And its called the Earthing Kit. At first I thought it said Earthling.

vB

·
Registered
860 Posts
the earthing kit is a ripoff they are selling 2 pieces of cable for $200

·
Registered
113 Posts
We're not saying it's a good deal (all those Mazdaspeed parts are a rip-off), but the fact that it is available must mean grounding your TB does something.

Going the $5 route IMHO is certainly worth the try. Something I had planned on doing tonight and will report on. If it doesn't work, I'll just use the wire to make a neuce and use it on my neighbors cat.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Another plus, if you purchase mazdaspeed parts and it breaks something, wouldn't that be a mazda problem? They're parts broke your car? Keeping all in the warranty family and such.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
digi0123 said:
Another plus, if you purchase mazdaspeed parts and it breaks something, wouldn't that be a mazda problem? They're parts broke your car? Keeping all in the warranty family and such.
I'd be willing to bet that anything not stock even if it says Mazda on and you got it installed at the dealer will void your warranty if IT cause failure to other parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
where did you hook the wire to the car at? cuz in those pix of the mazdaspeed one, its got the wire from the tb to the battery, to the sheet metal... and was just wondering if you did yours to roughly the same spot?

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
i did mine a while back, went from the TB (metal thingy twards front right of motor, take off the cover to make it easyer to see) ran the wire back behind the battery and since i had extra cable i ran it to the fender where the battery grounds its self, but running to the battery should do the same trick.

·
Registered
345 Posts
IllBinfrontofya said:
Well, I finally did it. I went out and bought 10 gauge wire and two connectors. I connected the top right bolt on the TB to the negative connecor on the battery. Now, I didn't notice any difference at all in HP, BUT big BUT here . . the response is much quicker. Enough so, that now when i shift it no longer revs up in between shifts. Now, it stays in its place or starts to go down. (the way it should in my opnion) It is also a lot better in 1st and 2nd gear with acceleration from 1600 up for some odd reason.
So in my final opion I believe that the grounding of the throttle body is a very useful mod. It costs nothing at all(I think it only took me $4.27 and 10 minutes) for something that DOES work!
This was no a BUTT DYNO, this was shifting and NOTICING THE DIFFERENCE!!! I reccomend anyone that can do this mod.
OK, I did this mod couple of hours ago.
I used a big-ass wire, I think it's gauge 2 or something- very high quality stuff, it's used for stationary lead-acid battery setups. Got it from work, it was free. The wire is a stranded-type wire, but the strands are so massive it feels and acts like solid-core. So I bent it to shape- it follows the shape of the battery cover nicely and it looks stock.
It has pure copper silver-coated connectors and the size was just right to run it from the throttle body to the negative terminal.

It was fairly easy to do... I wasn't sure about the torque specs for the TB screw, so I just eyeballed it... seems just right.

So, anyway, I was a bit sceptical about this... didn't quite know what to espect, actually wasn't expecting anything.

But to my surprise- there is a difference!
The engine feels more linear. During acceleration, when pulling in the second or third the motor used to have these up-and-down moments. I guess it was the torque curve letting itself be felt.
You know, like it was speeding up abit more at times, eventhough I was pressing the pedal steadily...
Now, it feels like this is gone.
It pulls smoother and evenly now. And yes, I noticed that it acts a bit differently when the clutch is disangaged between gear changes as well. It's reacting quicker than before - revs drop sooner.
So yeah, easy to put on and easy to remove - but I'm keeping it.

1 - 20 of 1834 Posts