Mazda3 Forums banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a pair of newer 6" Eibach ERS springs that have one less coil than the older models. So the compressed length is shorter than the older version, which means more travel before coil bind. Another option, might be FCM style bumpstops that would make contact before coil bind. (or at least soften the hit.)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I have a pair of newer 6" Eibach ERS springs that have one less coil than the older models. So the compressed length is shorter than the older version, which means more travel before coil bind. Another option, might be FCM style bumpstops that would make contact before coil bind. (or at least soften the hit.)
Looking through the Eibach (downloaded) catalog now; could you please share a part number?

Will also research more efficient bump stops. Fat Cat Motorsports......?

And thank you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looking through the Eibach (downloaded) catalog now; could you please share a part number?

Will also research more efficient bump stops. Fat Cat Motorsports......?

And thank you.
Looks like part #'s haven't changed. Just the design. So the part # should be something like: 0600.250.0XXX (First 4 digits being spring length, next 3 digits are spring diameter, and last 4 digits are spring rate.)

I'm assuming this is a design change, as I have 2 pairs of 6" Eibach ERS springs and the newer ones have one less coil. They are also different rates. So maybe that is part of the reason for the difference?

Yes. Fat Cat Motorsports. Not sure if they have anything direct-fit, but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I'm assuming this is a design change, as I have 2 pairs of 6" Eibach ERS springs and the newer ones have one less coil. They are also different rates. So maybe that is part of the reason for the difference?
Yep.

The number of coils, diameter of the wire, diameter of the actual spring, and spring material all figure into the actual spring rate.

So, no design change at all. They are simply two different rates.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thanks! Did not know that these existed. The usable strokes seem to be about the same.

Added to my database.
I wasn't sure how they'd compare but one thing to take into account when you run swifts is they weigh less, don't coil bind, and sit flat. Only negative is the minimum height if surpassed can do damage to the spring.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Spring Rate Adventure

Hey, thanks to everyone who contributed. Learned a little more than before, and now have some new resources I didn't know existed before asking my question.

It became clear, as I suspected, that there is no one correct answer. As with most things "Car", it just......depends.

How much spring is too little, how much is too much......."It depends". Driving style, car setup, course factors....... "It depends".

So, I'll have to find this out for myself. Find "my" answer.:grin:

I will be trying the 525# springs in the front this next weekend. That in fact is close to the MINIMUM rate that GC recommends for our cars with their kit. I like the 700# springs on the back, so they stay.

I will report back as to what effect this move has on the car's balance. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
We had 7" up front... 6" is too short for racing. We only did it to clear the tall 265/35/18.

and........... I only ran 6" after I retired my MZ3 for autocross so I can tuck the 18x9.5 +45 up front. lol

We have 1000lbs in 6" if you're interested in giving that a shot, you can swap it at the event. Just jack the car up in the middle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Spring Length + Autocross

Yes, I would like to run the 400#x7" springs, but am very reluctant to give up my lower ride height. Those with "real" front coil-over setups could easily run the 7" front springs, as the bottom adjuster position is adjustable downward.

Thanks for sharing that thought.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
You have plenty of room to run longer springs with that 8" tire width limit... so why not?
Struggling with the associated higher ride height. Want to keep the car low as possible, but the GC sleeve will only support about a 1/2" lowering of the 1" longer spring.

Thinking on that.......:huh:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
GC Coil-Over Setup For Sale

These worked well, and produced some great results. I'm on to another setup now (BC coil-overs), but these should help someone do very well in STF.

Please check out my For Sale Ad here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?p=9633466#post9633466

Konis I recently bought new to replace some used ones. Everything is in perfect condition, with less than 1000 Arizona miles on them. Included are the special GC camber plates that are not available anywhere else.:bigsmile:

Please share with anyone wanting to explore STF reasonably. Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++

Update: Sold! Thanks.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts