Mazda3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I called up Ground Control and talked to Donovan, apparently this kit won't fit Bilstein struts and they are not planning on offering this kit for Bilsteins so I'm going to have to look at other options. :/

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Orrr buy the ground control kit, take it down to a machine shop and see if they can machine on the part that is the problem. Scott, can you post a few closeup pics of the red anodized threaded cup that slips onto the strut housing (shown in pic below on the right). Would really help me out!

·
Registered
603 Posts
corkspork plates

·
Registered
156 Posts
2nd on Corksport plates. Really quality piece!
No caster adjustment, but they get you just enough camber (2.5 deg) maxed out without having to slot the strut towers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Orrr buy the ground control kit, take it down to a machine shop and see if they can machine on the part that is the problem. Scott, can you post a few closeup pics of the red anodized threaded cup that slips onto the strut housing (shown in pic below on the right). Would really help me out!
Glad to help out; will do tomorrow.

Spoke to Donovan today about their GC stuff.

1. Camber plates (two position) due out in a week or two. -2.5 to -3.5 or more camber depending on ride height. Price will be around $150'ish.
  2. When jacking up car, then lowering, just pay attention to how things seat. Typically they go back to where they are supposed to go. So he said.
  3. Their testers with the GC kit used the Stock rear sway bar with the heavy rear springs (did not need the bigger rear bar anymore). Opinions may vary depending on driving preferences.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Corksport plates + whiteline caster and anti-lift bushings along with the rack spacer/bump steer correction kit made a world of difference on my car. Nearly zero bump steer now!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wonder if those Bilstein rear adjusters are 2.5" already cuz it looks like they are designed to fit on the lower control arm. If that's the case, I have a set of 2.5" upper perches from Maximum Motorsports I could send you and 6" 500 lb 2.5" springs too that I can't use. You would be set!

I third the CorkSport plates...did a whole write up on them HERE.

Let me start by saying that if you're not building against rules those **(Brandini's suggestions above) are undoubtedly great additions. But as far as their legality in STF, I'm pretty sure they're not allowed (the Whiteline literature and concept sounds like it relocates the bushing with it's replacement bracket/cage and therefore changing the plane of the control arm). The castor "offset" bushings looks okay since it still retains the original bracket/cage and location. I haven't asked the SEB about this specifically concerning Rule 14.8.B, so I can't say for sure if it's legal or not...just my interpretation and feeling for the "spirit of the rules." The steering kit is definitely illegal in STF by rule 14.8.E.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
SO yea if you're building to class guidelines, ignore what I say.

And that sucks about ground control not playing nice with bilsteins, but you probably couldn't use them since they're an inverted shock design anyway. (unless using a bilstein blank and not the HD or Sport with the spring perch)...

So what is your end goal exactly? Adjustability of height? Damping?

If the latter, find a local shop and start with what they support.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Corksport plates are very likely BC units (their coilovers are inverted-strut BC's, there's a high chance the plates came from them too). Either way, we know that they fit, so if you need plates now, give BC a call and they should be able to hook you up very quickly.

I second brandini's thoughts about the GC perch playing with the Bilstein shaft. The inverted strut is going to be a pain to machine the GC perch around. You'd have a better chance designing a new one with a perch-compatible thread pitch and having a stainless steel prototype made in China (I can refer you to a reliable supplier I've worked with). If you go this route, definitely count me in because I'd like to replace my front struts with custom-valved Bilsteins sometime this year.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I wonder if those Bilstein rear adjusters are 2.5" already cuz it looks like they are designed to fit on the lower control arm. If that's the case, I have a set of 2.5" upper perches from Maximum Motorsports I could send you and 6" 500 lb 2.5" springs too that I can't use. You would be set!
Sweet, if I end up getting the PSS9 kit and I need those rear perches I'll get ahold of you, I'd take the springs too. Thanks Clem!

So what is your end goal exactly? Adjustability of height? Damping?

If the latter, find a local shop and start with what they support.
The Ground Control kit offers the ability for adjustable height and also the ability to use and swap out different 2.5" springs. The goal with the Ground Control kit for me was to make a set of Bilstein coil-overs and save a lot of money in the process. Since I already have a set of Bilstein sport Struts/Shocks those cost me nothing. The Ground Control kit + Corksport camber plates would end of running me around $800-900. So for roughly $800 I could potentially have a set of Bilstein coil-overs.

The PSS9 kit + different springs + camber plates will end up costing nearly $2,500 out of pocket. Only difference between this and the kit above is that this one offers adjustable damping. Personally, I'd rather pocket the $1,500+ dollar difference and go without adjustable damping, however if I can't make the G/C kit work, then obviously that option is off the table.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Idea

Philrab on here is looking at billies to replace his stock shocks, why don't you sell them to him for a great price and stop putting in so much time and effort into making something you have work, and just pick something that already works? like a KW V2 or V3 that takes at least a standard front spring and an adjustable rear perch of awesome design and never look back.

Re-valving isn't cheap and is a repeatable cost that just adds to your total in the long run. KW's engineers are fantastic and I LOVE my V1s (only height adjustable) as they sit.

Heck, start with the ST Suspension kit (KW V1s with 5 year warranty and not stainless shock bodies) since it's under a grand for all 4 corners and see where you want to go from there.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Idea

Philrab on here is looking at billies to replace his stock shocks, why don't you sell them to him for a great price and stop putting in so much time and effort into making something you have work, and just pick something that already works? like a KW V2 or V3 that takes at least a standard front spring and an adjustable rear perch of awesome design and never look back.

Re-valving isn't cheap and is a repeatable cost that just adds to your total in the long run. KW's engineers are fantastic and I LOVE my V1s (only height adjustable) as they sit.

Heck, start with the ST Suspension kit (KW V1s with 5 year warranty and not stainless shock bodies) since it's under a grand for all 4 corners and see where you want to go from there.
I understand your passion for KW and I'm glad you love your V1's. I'm equally passionate about Bilsteins so I'll be on Bilsteins one way or another. Thanks for the lead to Philrab, I would be interested in selling my current Bilsteins and will contact him when that day arrives.

Bilstein also makes a coil-over with non-adjustable damping (similar to the V1, see link below). However, if I can't use Ground Control kit I figure I might as well go all out at that point and go PSS9 and adjustable damping :)

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/bil-47-121225.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=20861070197&utm_content=pla

·
Registered
407 Posts
Except if you go with the PSS9, the "cheesewedge" adjuster is apparently the worst in the industry. If that's the case you'd be better served with custom-valved standard Bilstein struts.

Re-valving is a one-time cost for most people because we know, empirically, what baseline curve works. And almost nobody below $2k gets that curve right out of the box, aka almost everyone below $2k needs a revalve. The KW v3's on a friend's Gen2 are slick, but the high-speed compression damping is too high. Large, fast bumps are actually harsher than my BC setup despite his rates (6k/4k vs 8k/6k), and he loses speed vs. my setup on any 60+mph corner. His KW's need to be revalved more digressive if he wants to optimize his car for larger racetracks. I have a hard time imagining the v1's would fare much better.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Except if you go with the PSS9, the "cheesewedge" adjuster is apparently the worst in the industry. If that's the case you'd be better served with custom-valved standard Bilstein struts.

Re-valving is a one-time cost for most people because we know, empirically, what baseline curve works. And almost nobody below $2k gets that curve right out of the box, aka almost everyone below $2k needs a revalve. The KW v3's on a friend's Gen2 are slick, but the high-speed compression damping is too high. Large, fast bumps are actually harsher than my BC setup despite his rates (6k/4k vs 8k/6k), and he loses speed vs. my setup on any 60+mph corner. His KW's need to be revalved more digressive if he wants to optimize his car for larger racetracks. I have a hard time imagining the v1's would fare much better.
I hear ya, some suspension guru's (Dennis Grant included) have knocked the Bilstein cheesewedge system saying it's not that good. He also knocks KW's too and says they aren't that good either. So when it comes to coil-overs that are considered excellent by the guru's, there are none available for the Mazda3 that I'm aware of unfortunately.

One option you mentioned (which may be the best one) would be buy the non-adjustable coil-over Bilsteins in the link above, send them to Bilstein, get them revalved to spring specs and get them sent back. Cost wise it would come out to be about the same (or slightly less than the Pss9). The only caveat is that what you get is what you get, so I better be pretty confident on my spring/sway bar setup.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Adam, I'm wondering if we can convince gc to sell a rear only set. I won't be able to use the front perches either.

And thanks for the response from GC, Scott. I guess that just seemed odd that the springs could fall out with the car in the air.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Adam, I'm wondering if we can convince gc to sell a rear only set. I won't be able to use the front perches either.
I asked if they would do that, but he told me no. However, maybe if enough people make some noise they'll reconsider.

41 - 60 of 175 Posts