Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject pretty much says it.

Normally I'll brake hard, and THEN turn.

However sometimes I start to turn while I'm still braking and then if I'm braking HARD, I hear a grinding noise coming from the "inside" wheel when turning.

So if I'm hard corning right, it will be the right wheel making a slight grinding noise.

I'm on Prokits + FSDs, and am wondering if I'm actually rubbing? I have stock 17s+rsa-s and alignment is good... It would be odd that i'm compressing the shock enough for there to be rubbing...

Anyways, it could be the brake making a grinding noise too...

This only happens when i'm braking HARD... I'm talking on the verge of setting off the ABS... Which could in fact be a factor... I think I get a similar type of grind noise when the ABS kicks in and I'm just trying to brake super hard.

Any ideas?

BTW, I don't think I have warped rotors, and no I don't drive like a maniac... This is just rare spirited driving that I've come across these observations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, as you know, I have Pro Kits and FSDs, but I run 225/40R18 Hankook R-S2s on RX-8 18s.
No such noises from me.
Who installed the FSDs and springs? Could be something in the suspension.
Brakes OK? Mine have plenty of meat, so no noise from them at all.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it's the install because the install was done with the greatest of care. :)

It's only happened twice, when I turned the wheel very hard & very fast.

Under any "street" driving condition, it will never make the noise. Even when understeering. It has to be a SHARP turn, not a wide turn, and the brakes have to be pressed very hard.

I did some reading, and I heard it's probably the ABS kicking in without me knowning.

I noticed a similar noise when just going very hard on the brakes to test the ABS and feel it in action.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i agree that it might be something to do with the abs. i had an old oldsmobile i used to beat on, and when the abs engaged on it, especially on dirt roads, i would hear a similar noise. of course it could have been my teeth, cuz i was normally about to hit something....

id take her down to the dealer and have them do a check, and tell them everything here in your post.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
if you can't tell from looking at the tires or fender now, you can put some masking tape inside your fender in the areas most likely to rub and duplicate the issue. It'll be easy to see if you're rubbing when you check the tape. you'd think a good rub would leave a little black insice the fender though...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've seen what rubbing does on a civic and prelude before.

It sort of polishes the plastic wheel wheel and there's a scuff.

It hasn't happened in a long time. I really have to push the car hard to recreate it and that opportunity hasn't arose. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts