Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the topic comes up every so often, thought I'd share a few pics of a simple Mazda3 GPS (or whatever) mounting solution. Been using GPS for moto-adventure and car/truck navigation for too many years to count now, and with a variety of different receivers. The currently well used fave is a Garmin 276c.

Anyway, ran across a simple widget from ProClip. It's a two piece arrangement including the mounting clip that goes into an A/C vent and a tilt/swivel base mount. Last part of the equation is Garmin's stock marine mount cradle which bolts right onto the tilt/swivel base using existing holes and included fasteners, then onto the A/C vent clip.

It clips into the gap in the dash's trim piece just above the radio/info panel and then into the top of the A/C vent. Comes with a bit of two-sided tape to use on the lower leg, but it's not needed. In fact, there's no need to even open the gap above the dash trim to fit it in. Just insert and bend the top leg into the A/C vent and it stays put securely. Nice & solid no matter the road surface, easy to remove, leaves no trace, etc.

Driver's eye view...

Passenger's eye view, can be swivelled that way, too...

A few close-ups...

In case you're wondering, the Velcro on the receiver is for a sunshade for two-wheeled use.
Anyway, thumbs up to ProClip for hatching such easy & tidy mounting solutions.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
how much did that garmin run you?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=small town king link=topic=66827.msg1147382#msg1147382 date=1168663484]
how much did that garmin run you?
[/quote]

This particular unit's a couple of years old now and has a current street price of $584 from reliable online sources like GPSdiscount.com.

Edit: Plus, Garmin is currently offering $100 rebates on several units, the 276c included. Click here for the full scoop.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=small town king link=topic=66827.msg1147464#msg1147464 date=1168666399]
thanks!
[/quote]

Pleasure! BTW, be aware that a 276c will also need a Garmin data card and detailed software to suit your needs. It does come with a basic basemap. I'm a bit of a GPS nut and have various topos and older metroguide data with added dirt road info, but City Navigator v8 is a nice setup for road use. I have a 512mb data card, but have done multi week, multi state trips on a 256mb card. That's plenty of data, especially given how easy it is to update and change stuff.

All that said, I'm a 276c guy because of it's form factor (buttons work nice with gloves), robust build, and endless configuration options. For pure car usage, most will be happy with something in Garmin's Streetpilot/Nuvi/Zumo line-up. 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very tight install! Nice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=spacey link=topic=66827.msg1148142#msg1148142 date=1168728606]
wow thats very clean. i like. the wire coming from the garmin, where does it run to? your cig. lighter?
[/quote]

Yea, for now. The speaker's on the cig lighter plug, but I hardly ever use the voice feature, so I'll be hard wiring when a new cable shows up. I'm getting their moto-specific hardwire, which includes a simple audio plug inline near the unit itself. If you wanna plug in an external speaker, then it's no worries, but if not, then it's just an unobtrusive lead neatly hidden behind the receiver.

Anyway, currently the speaker/power cable travels into the dash next to the steering wheel, then down through the center stack, exiting through the ashtray and into the plug. Can be seen here in the upper right, speaker and all...

·
Registered
237 Posts
how does having a gps in front affect the vents? does it make the AC less effective? Is it ok to blow hot air on a gps? I wish you could close that vent (is there an easy way?)

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
That is an AWESOME mounting solution. Kudos!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=drinklime link=topic=66827.msg1891341#msg1891341 date=1196616142]
how does having a gps in front affect the vents? does it make the AC less effective? Is it ok to blow hot air on a gps? I wish you could close that vent (is there an easy way?)
[/quote]

No complaints with regards to the vent and airflow. The receiver's lived for years on various motorcycles from 200' below sea level to 14,000' above, cold, hot, dry & wet, so a little cool/warm air from an A/C vent is no worries. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts