Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my windows tinted wed. and the chick that did it said that it would take a few days up to three weeks for the bubbles to go out due to it being cold and not much sun. Well its only a couple of bubbles and they are not really big but its there and I know it. Does this sound normal? The dude that owns the place gave me a warranty card and said that if I had any prob. to come back. The card for the Diamond tint said that if you have any warranty work done it then voids the warranty. Does this sound right too? Thanks

·
Registered
932 Posts
give it a week, leave it out in the sun for a few hours each day. If it still has the bubbles take it back to the shop.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yeah. Of course, I just had mine done and there were NO bubbles.... maybe it's workmanship?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
bubbles are normal, i had the same thing around the edges and after the adhesive had time to cure it cleared. DON'T clean with ammonia based window cleaner. lol

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=kdcoleman link=topic=70914.msg1244953#msg1244953 date=1172871015]
Well I got my windows tinted wed. and the chick that did it said that it would take a few days up to three weeks for the bubbles to go out due to it being cold and not much sun. Well its only a couple of bubbles and they are not really big but its there and I know it. Does this sound normal? The dude that owns the place gave me a warranty card and said that if I had any prob. to come back. The card for the Diamond tint said that if you have any warranty work done it then voids the warranty. Does this sound right too? Thanks
[/quote]

yes that's normal, but they should all be gone within a couple weeks
in warm areas, a week is usually enough

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
had bubbles in mine, and after leaving it for a week or whatever, its perfect now.

i even got a compliment on it, and said it looked like the car came with it.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I got my tint done in July of 06 a month after i got the car ..... its March 2 and i still have a few bubbles !! I think what the chick said is bull shit ... mine are in certain places when it might be hard to get ur hands in there soo i havent complained! but mine are life time warrenty!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
the guy i went to said give it a few days for the bubbles to get out too so i think it's normal. parking in the sun really helps though

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
That sounds a bit extreme for them to last that long. I got mine done back in November, and what I did is as soon as I got in the car turn the heat to max and the blower to high and just blast the hell out of it until they disappeared. Took about a week and a half just because of the temperature being below freezing when it was done.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=70914.msg1245021#msg1245021 date=1172872893]
Yeah. Of course, I just had mine done and there were NO bubbles.... maybe it's workmanship?
[/quote]

+1, I have gotten two different cars tinted at the same place in Florida and both times I didn't have any bubbles. They said it might be "hazy" for a few days but never were there bubbles. Sounds like a workmanship issue to me and I would demand they redo it but that is just me. No quality tint should have any bubbles. The tint I had on my Thunderbird I had for 7+ years and no bubbles. Is there a lifetime warranty on the tinting?? It seems like the "mystery" bubbles might come back to haunt you in a few years, even if they go away soon...

But this is all opinion, and not based on any fact. Just seems shady to me, especially since at least a couple of people confirm that it can be done without bubbles. If this is the case, why wouldn't they do it right the first time with no bubbles since it is obviously possible? How much did you pay for the tint if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got legal for TN which is 35% sides and back, 5% on windshield strip. I did notice this evening some bubbles werent as bad but found a weird looking spot on pass. front at the cornor where the mirror is. Kind of looks like something wrong with the tint itself. Not really like scratches but kind of like creases. You can see it from the outside too but you have to look for it. However its tight not like the tint is doubled. Most part it looks good. I wish I could have went darker without getting a ticket and having to peel it off. I hope I dont have to take this back it took like 5 freaking hours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[quote author=Naibukizuato83 link=topic=70914.msg1245173#msg1245173 date=1172877080]
I got my tint done in July of 06 a month after i got the car ..... its March 2 and i still have a few bubbles !! I think what the chick said is bull shit ... mine are in certain places when it might be hard to get ur hands in there soo i havent complained! but mine are life time warrenty!
[/quote]

those bubbles aren't going away, theyre little specs of dirt, could be if whoever did it if their hand was dirty, but in a 4 door car tinting 5 windows and onll having a few small bubbles is not bad . but if theyre in the middle of the window and its a cluster of them, then you might want to get that window redone

·
Registered
819 Posts
when heat is applied to tint, the pores in the film widen enough for more air particles to fit through, that is how the bubbles mysteriously dissappear, it only works on small bubbles though. try using a hair dryer on the outside (not on the inside!!) of the window for about 5-10 minutes per area, if they don't disappear, then the adhesive was not applied properly and you are stuck with shitty tint bubbles. :(

this will only work for a short time after tinting though, 24-48 hours, after that, the moisture has evaporated and there is nothing left to stick the film to the glass.

WARNING!!! too much heat, or heat applied directly to the tint film surface can cause burning, cracking, fading, shriveling and damage in general to the film. always heat from the outside with a light or hairdryer.

and i am not referring to using thecars heater, that is a fine method to use in conjunction with a hairdryer

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with most, those bubbles are a sign of a poor installation. Wait a few weeks, then if still there make them fix it.

I have Diamond tint too, 20%. Nowhere does the warranty state that it can be used only once. If your shop says that, make them prove it to you. Or go to another Diamond shop, sounds like the one u used may be below par anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its kind of tricky. In the warranty card on number three second parg. it said (If a claim is processed against this warranty and replacement film is installed the warranty period ends. The warranty will not be extended for any reason after a claim is made.) And you must have roll number. My dealer didnt put this on the card either. He put his bus. phone and date and sig. Is this fishy?

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=kdcoleman link=topic=70914.msg1246336#msg1246336 date=1172942003]
Its kind of tricky. In the warranty card on number three second parg. it said (If a claim is processed against this warranty and replacement film is installed the warranty period ends. The warranty will not be extended for any reason after a claim is made.) And you must have roll number. My dealer didnt put this on the card either. He put his bus. phone and date and sig. Is this fishy?
[/quote]

Had to go get mine from the glove ... you're unfortunately absolutely right. :shock:

And my installer did the same as yours ... no roll number or other info, which the warranty states must be filled in, or it will be void. Fishy? yes, seems like if i ever had to file a claim, i'll find out its worthless without this info.

Looks like I'll be visiting my installer next week & raising hell. My bill from the installer itemizes the lifetime warranty, a $20 charge, he scratched out as "Free - included". Aaaaargh. Many Thanx for bringing this up!!!

Regardless, bubbles is an installation issue, not necessarily a warranty issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I paid $200 + tax for a hatch, all windows (not front) at 20%. Originally quoted $250, we 'negotiated'. Taken several cars there b4, & he does a lot of dealerships, so I knew his shop was good. He had other films he could of done for less than $100, those are the kind you see turn purple after a few years.

$200 seems on the high side, but i figured the warranty was worth it. Not ive gotta straighten that out. :angrypoint:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts