Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally pulled the trigger on a winter beater. It's a dark green 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L I6 with an automatic trans. I actually always thought these had V6s, so I'm pretty stoked that I have a straight 6! It's the 2 door version, which I hear is rare, so that's sweet, but it's only 2 wheel drive though. I can't complain too much, I only spent a whopping $950!

Even though it has 176k miles, it runs like a champ. The engine is buttery smooth. I am severely impressed with how well it runs. I don't know if it's just an illusion; a combination of the rattling, loud road noise, imprecise steering, bad brakes, and the widely spaced increments on the speedometer, but this thing feels fast! :lol: It has 190 hp and 235 ft/lbs. I think it's the really nice torque figure that makes it feel so quick.

Since I bought it 2 weeks ago, I changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and air filter. The only thing left (which I plan to do today) is change the fuel filter. Working on this thing is so easy, there is so much room under the hood. The brakes are quite bad, but the guy said all I have to do is bleed them in the rear and it'll fix it. I've never done that before, but that's never stopped me, so I'll take a crack at that sometime soon.

The interior was quite bad; it looked like some humans/animals died on the seats, so I got some seat covers. The carpets were nasty too so I threw them away and got a set of rubber mats. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the body is banged up quite a bit. Like someone went to town on it with a blunt object. Or perhaps the previous owner was driving through a stampede of some sort. So aesthetically, it's quite... bad... but it's got it where it counts and serves its purpose!

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
2WD Jeep..winter beater? I woulda kept hunting for a 4x4. The I-6 in that is bullet proof. It'll knock for like 6 yrs before it blows. Good price though..

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=183418.msg3881036#msg3881036 date=1292083897]
2WD Jeep..winter beater? I woulda kept hunting for a 4x4. The I-6 in that is bullet proof. It'll knock for like 6 yrs before it blows. Good price though..
[/quote]

Yea, the guy actually told me that it was 4x4 when I bought it :/

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Eh, doesn't really matter its not 4 wheel drive. Main thing is you aren't driving the nice car. It's a beater, who gives a shit.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=183418.msg3881050#msg3881050 date=1292086804]
Eh, doesn't really matter its not 4 wheel drive. Main thing is you aren't driving the nice car. It's a beater, who gives a shit.
[/quote]

I would when I'm stuck home in the snow because I got a 2wd jeep.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Hahaha! I like how all the work you're doing on the car sounds most costly than the actual car itself.

Dude, once you get winter tires, it'll be a good winter car.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=183418.msg3881169#msg3881169 date=1292100322]
Hahaha! I like how all the work you're doing on the car sounds most costly than the actual car itself.

Dude, once you get winter tires, it'll be a good winter car.
[/quote]

Lol, yea pretty much. I've only spent about $200 so far. I was able to change the fuel filter today, so that's the last thing I'm going to replace in terms of maintenance.

I didn't even think about getting snow tires lol. That's a good idea, but I don't want to spend any more money on this thing! I just got back from Home Depot, where I bought 200lbs of salt, which is now in the back lol.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
That is true though, cause a set of winter tires could be worth half of what you paid for the car. I know because I just spent $600 on a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D... :(. Tires are one of those things where you know you need it, and you pick the set you REALLY want (I really wanted the dunlop's for its praised dry characteristic as well), but shit still hurts!

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=183418.msg3881369#msg3881369 date=1292146786]
That is true though, cause a set of winter tires could be worth half of what you paid for the car. I know because I just spent $600 on a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D... :(. Tires are one of those things where you know you need it, and you pick the set you REALLY want (I really wanted the dunlop's for its praised dry characteristic as well), but shit still hurts!
[/quote]

What in the hell do you need winters for?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Snowboarding season in Tahoe. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Got stuck in an unexpected blizzard before and after seeing my friend flip his 4runner, I'm getting snow tires.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was planning on going to a Lincoln/Mercury dealership today after work to trade the Jeep for a 2008 Milan V6 Premier. It's silver and 35k miles, for ~$14k. It had every single option except navigation and AWD. Identical to my 2007 Fusion, except for the color. I decided to rough it this winter with the Jeep and sell it when it gets warm. I'll buy a nice second car next winter when I have a bit more money. :wtcdance:

I put a lot of work into the Jeep making it run smooth. I might as well drive it for a few months and save some munnays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts