Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a good set of whell locks for my 3 - I hate those chintzy ones that all car dealers try to pawn off on people. Is anyone using an aftermarket wheel lock? What companies make locks that fit?

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Any difference between McGuard and OEM Mazda lock bolts? Worth the cost in changing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bobmtb said:
Any difference between McGuard and OEM Mazda lock bolts? Worth the cost in changing?
I've never liked OEM wheel locks because they are pretty easy to strip, plus there aren't very many different lock patterns for that type of lock. A good thief can easily carry a set of keys. I've also seen thieves use a regular socket that is one size too small to get locks off - you hammer the socket on over the stock lock and twist as if it were a normal nut and off you go. That being said, if you already have OEM locks, I probably wouldn't replace them. I started the thread because I didn't buy the OEM locks and am looking for a good aftermarket set. I have used McGard as well as Gorilla locks before and have liked them, but I wasn't sure if they are car-specific. If they are, I wanted to know if an application for the 3 had been created yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 3 came minus wheel locks and although the dealer said they would get me some it would be a couple of weeks wait. I didn't want to find my car up on bricks and minus 17's so I went out and bought some McGard wheel locks. The ones I bought were actually for the Mazda 6 but the store let me buy 'em and try 'em and would have given me my money back if they hadn't fitted but they fitted fine. The (UK) part number for the locks is 24012.

aDe

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm interested in these too.

I've yet to pickup my car, the dealer putdown $45 for the locks. Now looking at the madza.ca site they're listed at $31.

Anyway.. if aftermarkets are better and go for about the same price (even cheaper?) I'd rather get those. I need a set for my other car too anyway.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows a place where I could pickup some locally (Toronto)... or if not then online shops that ship to canada.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Any good tire store will have these in stock, heck they'll even install them for you. If you have the means, Canadian Tire sells McGuard locks, you'll just have to know what type.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The stock ones are McGuard according to the wheel lock registration card that came in my glove compartment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
they're just lug nuts except smooth around the outside and they have a irregular pattern that a key lug fits into to take them on and off

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
aren't those the ones that tend to strip, and then ya gotta get a mechanic to take it off cuz they don't use a regular pattern?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I bought a set of locks from a company called Fast Wheels (www.fastco.ca). The locks look like regular wheel nuts but aren't hexagonal like regulars wheel nuts and don't have the irregular pattern like the McGard locks. I paid $25 for a set of 4, installed, taxes included.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have been using wheel locks on Hondas for years the Mazda and Honda locks are all McGuard locks. They only slow a good thief down a little like a good alarm system.

I'd always use them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts