Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is looking for a good, cheap tire to replace the very nasty Proxes I recommend you try the Kuhmo 711 series tire. No I am not a Kuhmo salesman, but I did have these tires on my Acura Integra and they simply cannot be beat for the price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rch=false&partnum=155HR6E711&fromCompare1=yes

Plus by getting a 215 instead of 205 tire it will still fit on your wheel and you get a wider contact patch too.

A whole set is only $250 shipped from Tirerack. Seriously check these out, they are great for street, autox or track days.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The standard Toyos should be fine for everyday drivers. A pretty average tire. But if you drive aggressively then you will want more grip than what they provide.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am in the aggressive category. I remember when I upgraded my Integra from the Stock Michelin's to the Bridgestone RE730 I was very pleased. The Kuhmo 711 is imo the best low-cost performance tire you can buy. When I had those on my Integra there was no corner they could not handle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I beg to disagree. The 711 is a bottom of the heap aftermarket performance tire.

Go to Miata.net and check out the tires and wheels forum. There is a lot of experience and knowledge there on aftermarket perfromance tires. You will find the 711 is universally disliked. It is cheap and that is the best one can say about it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone has their opinion of course, but my experiences with the tire are different. I've run Bridgestone RE730s, the Kuhmo MX and 712s and the 711s have outlasted and outgripped them all.

I always read bad things about Kuhmo but for me its an excellent tire when you are on a budget. In a perfect world I would love some Pole Positions but I don't have $150 a tire to spend ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The first post had a link to Tirerack's survey on the 711 and the overall score is pretty good. And this is based upon 374 opinions, which is a respectable sample size. If you read through the comments a number of drivers who described themselves as "spirited" drivers gave them good scores.

The 716's also get very good scores for a low-priced all-season.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bombadil said:
The first post had a link to Tirerack's survey on the 711 and the overall score is pretty good. And this is based upon 374 opinions, which is a respectable sample size. If you read through the comments a number of drivers who described themselves as "spirited" drivers gave them good scores.

It all depends on what you are comparing to. A much better tire and still a fairly low cost tire is the Yokohama AVS ES-100.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
gtgray said:
Bombadil said:

It all depends on what you are comparing to. A much better tire and still a fairly low cost tire is the Yokohama AVS ES-100.
True but the ES-100 is summer only. Not all season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts