Mazda3 Forums banner

Good rotors?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  XCNuse 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I just searched for like 1.5 hrs on lightweight rotors for the speed, and am sick of it so I'm just gonna ask... is there anyone still offering them for- up to the 2009 model year? I'm curious.

I have a normal 3, non-speed. I blasted my pads and rotor on a trackday and want to upgrade with some sweet Corksport calipers that seem to be available, but I have to increase my rotor dia. to the Speed version. I originally didn't want to increase rotor size due to weight with my low-hp car, but seeing the 16-lb /pr weight drop with these Corksport calipers, I'm more open to larger discs. Any links to good rotors for mostly daily driving but once/per/year trackdays?

#2 ·
Lightweight rotors for starters don't really exist. That's not actually a thing.

Before wasting money, let's start somewhere that makes sense, if you managed to somehow go through a set of pads and rotors on a trackday, what did you have on there? And what was the status of them before the event?

I know of people that buy pads and drive and track their vehicles once a month, and only have to swap pads once a year.

#3 ·
Oh yes, now I see that I didn't explain things very well. They were the original pads and rotors and the car has 50,000 miles on it. Also, it wasn't a true trackday but just a couple of track crosses... like a blend between an autocross and a trackday. Track-x is a 1/2 lap around a course, one car at a time. But I don't really know if it happened then or sometime over the winter, but at some point the pad separated off its backing. That's probably how my front rotor got scratched up.

I didn't bother explaining well because I'm not really looking for a opinions on why it happened or a solution, I just want to know what else may be out there. I thought that some Speed3 guys may know of any cool rotors out there.

#6 ·
girodisc was the only company that did it; I mean in the sense for this car, it isn't actually a thing.

Pads separating off their backs isn't anything out of the ordinary, the sad truth is it does happen, it actually happens rather commonly with a lot of Hawk pads as well, which, is what I run lol, but it does happen yes.

You just need to get some standard blank rotors, and good pads. If you want track pads, an excellent starting point is the EBC yellow pads.
And run Motul 600 so you don't boil your fluid. To help with all of this, stainless lines.

Beyond that, unless you're doing what I'm doing, you shouldn't need any further of an upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.