Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been between a new xterra or golf GTI. I know someone on here has some experience and/or knowledge of the golf so I posted in the lounge. Here's what I'm looking @

2011 Golf GTI 4 door w/ DSG trans and a few other options. I'm not too familiar w/ VW and it'd be my first time in a German car. For 27,000 you get LSD and some other goodies that seem too good to be true. Is the car a good value? I need it to fit me, wife, car seat, and be fund to drive while being able to haul a stroller, baby bag, etc in the trunk. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Re: Golf GTI

I like the GTI, but hate the DSG transmission. It gets almost universally bad reviews in automotive publications.

How much would an Xterra cost the way you want it equipped?

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It would be about 1000 less but the gas mileage is horrible on the x. Top gear loved the dsg though.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=179412.msg3794372#msg3794372 date=1284305941]
It would be about 1000 less but the gas mileage is horrible on the x. Top gear loved the dsg though.
[/quote]

Top gear loved the DSG because it's been the best/more unannoying dual clutch transmission they've reviewed. But overall they hate these dual-clutch transmission. So them liking the DSG doesn't say much...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

well their main perk was when you have it in one of those rather expensive cars and it makes it difficult to park. with the gti you still can put it in drive etc and drive like normal

·
Registered
10,347 Posts

My mom has a GLI with DSG and I can say its better than a normal slush box. Shifts are super quick and the paddle shifters are actually kind of fun.

I would definitely go with the GTI if you want something more refined and fun drive. I've driven a DSG GTI (was a 2009) and was very satisfied. Handles like its on rails.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts

Do you not get the 6speed GTI in the US?
I recommend you drive both, DSG and manual, and see which one you prefer.
If you want some "extra" fun, i would take the GTI, you will have all the space that you need.
Plus you can get the dealer to 'flash' your car right away, and you will get about 240hp instead of 210hp.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Driving a 6 speed in NJ is kinda pointless to me. I need auto trans. If I got something manual it'd have to be a just for fun type car. What's the dealer flash do, just turn up the boost? If they do the reflash does it keep all the warranties?

·
Registered
16,466 Posts

GTI's don't come with a real LSD. Its an electronic type differential ala what BMW does in the 335i/135i.

I can say after driving my bro's 2010 GTI that I am a believer in the DSG. It's a fantastic transmission, ridiculously smooth and fast up shifts, launch control works so well you can't help but just laugh. It's a tad lerchy at low speeds but the positives are so huge.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts

[quote author=budgy link=topic=179412.msg3794543#msg3794543 date=1284324077]
GTI's don't come with a real LSD. Its an electronic type differential ala what BMW does in the 335i/135i.

I can say after driving my bro's 2010 GTI that I am a believer in the DSG. It's a fantastic transmission, ridiculously smooth and fast up shifts, launch control works so well you can't help but just laugh. It's a tad lerchy at low speeds but the positives are so huge.
[/quote]

+1 I test drove one some time ago, the trans is as responsive as could be. If it were 5k less I probably would have bought it. But I just can't see paying 30k for a hatch back and not even get a sat. nav. or leather.

I love the Xterra but I hear you on the mileage, it's brick with a 4.0 you probably wont break 15mpg average.

But all this begs the question why? On one hand you're looking at a very well rounded sport compact great for commuting or little trips to the store. On the other hand you have a pretty monstrous SUV, great for kid hauling and hitting muddy trials. So which do you need more? Or is this an extra vehicle your buying just for the fun factor?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts

GTIs are awesome cars. Great ride, handling and interior quality. The coolest feature of that car is the Bluetooth system. Make sure you at least get that.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

They are both approx 27k priced out the way I want them. I've always liked trucks and fast (nimble) cars. I feel like you get a lot for the money w/ the VW. Xenons, tractions aids, style, 0-60 in mid 6 second range, good fuel mileage, and a roomy back seat for the baby. The xterra you get a cool truck that's capable off road and plenty of room. The GTI is 30 grand w/ leather and choice of 18" rims. If I keep it 17" with no leather/sunroof (Don't want them) then it's about 27k. Bluetooth, heated seats, etc are all standard.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts

Vdub finally added a leather option? Bout time.... But IMO its a little pricey for what it is. Not to say it's not worth it. Just value wise I'm not a fan of the Gti. That fact you can get 3x the vehicle from Nissan for the same price says it all to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Other than a speed 3, what's similar to the GTI? I was also thinking a Jetta TDI Cup car but I don't like the looks of it a whole lot.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts

You don't like the speed3? 60more hp, leather, real LSD, real 6speed, etc and all for under 30k.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts