Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all;

Since i bought my 04 Mz3 GT (used last summer) I've suddenly got huge amounts of rust around my wheel wells. (well, one or two other places, but these are the worst). I've 'fixed' rust in the past on my old 1996 geo tracker that had rusted wheel wells, but it was black, and making it look pretty good just involved sanding it down to the bare metal and throwing some black tremclad on. I've tried the silver touchup paint that came with my car on chips, and it doesn't seem to blend in as well.

Does anyone know what would be involved in doing a DIY rust repair? I've read posts saying 1000-2000 to fix small spots of rust. Considering its probably just going to rust again in a year or so, I dont see much point burning that kind of money on it. What would I need to buy to do a reasonably good job myself? Is it even possible? I also need to repaint my front bumper as there was a dent in it when i bought it. So far I put filler putty on it and touchup paint but the little touchup paint brush just isn't made for large applications. Is it possible to buy the car paint in decent sized containers?

Sorry, I realize that there are a lot of questions in there, but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. It will be a pretty big project too, so if i decide to go ahead with it, I'll right up a great DIY post :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm Really Interested in doing this myself with my wheel well rust too, but don't know much about doing so. And yup you can by touch up paint by the spray can, there are specific sights, and ebay has it too. Hopefully someone will chime in with a link ;)

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad I'm not the only one :p
Ok, so finding a place to buy the spray can is the first step then. I'm going to need to get an appropriate sander too, because i'm sick of doing it by hand. I'll probably head to CT in the next few days to get some stuff.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I've done my fair share of rust repair in the past, for minor surface rust like what you have, the best way to fix it is to sand it down as best you can to bare metal, hit it with a rust inhibiting primer, some of the stuff comes out clear but it turns to a black primer when it contacts rust, this is the stuff to get. Then you go over it again with a normal automotive primer, go over with the base coat, and finally the clear coat, blending into surrounding areas. Wet sand before the final layer of clear, and then buff it all out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How do you blend with the spray cans? Is it possible to do a decent job?

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
It's possible if you know what you are doing and are patient. FYI, I rattle can painted painted a bumper before and you couldn't tell it was painted from the rest of the car. It just depends on your level of expertise.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My level of expertise is pretty close to zero. Buut, with that said, I'm pretty sure that a grade B spraypaint job will look better than a rusty wheel well, or a bumper with black putty on it.

I'll have to go get all these primers you're talking about. Are they spray on? Also, if someone has a link to where to get this spray on paint, that would be great.

-Edit-
Found someone that shipped to canada finally: bought my stuff from http://www.expresspaint.com/. 70$ includes shipping, 11oz spray can of 22V paint, 11oz can of primer, 11oz can of clear coat. Might have been able to find it cheaper if i'd ordered it locally somehow, but this was a lot easier.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
anyone try rust doctor? you put it right over the rust and it seals it... then just paint over it.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=bustednutz link=topic=140482.msg3030805#msg3030805 date=1238554950]
www.paintscratch.com has the best premixed colors in a spray can available.
Definately check them out first.
[/quote]They dont ship aerosol to canada, I did check them out first :p

Edit-
BAHAHA expresspaint was a good choice...No border fees, they said that the value of the whole package was 3$ :p

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did this on the weekend, and took a few pics. I did use one of those rust remover/primer things. In general the results turned out really well, but I have one spot that I couldn't get at behind the wheel well between the metal and the rear bumper - paint is staining on the outside. Couldnt get the bakc bumper off on my first attempt.

Ill post pics later...

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
[BUMP]PICTURES - Sorry my camera kept dieing so I didn't mange to document this very well. I'll post completion pics this weekend once I can polish everything. I promise you it looks better now that it looks in these pictures ;)

0. What I used to help remove rust. This stuff works, but was no match for the amount of rust I had. Went back to 40 grit sandpaper, and finished off with this, to help clean up.

1. oh noes. :shock:

3. Removed as much rust as possible, then hit it with primer

4. My door. Dont have a before picture, but imagine a LOT more rust. This was after using 1/8th of my bottle of rust remover on it.

5. Die rust! Primer + Color coat + Clearcoat

6. Back to the door for another coat of paint. Looks better than it does in this picture. Cant even tell i painted anything if you're 5 ft away, and I havn't even polished yet.

I am tempted to sell my baby before more rust shows up :(

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Cab0oze, excellent pictures! Can you please post what products you used for your fix. Please be sure to post pictures of the area when you have it polished up, can't wait to see it!

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I used 40-220 grit sandpaper for most of the stuff, too small an areas for my orbital.
Rust remover as pictured (I will use better quality converter stuff next time)
Flathead screwdriver to scrape rust and old paint off
Same paint as i used on my bumper (from expresspaint.com -60$ for all 3 shipped to canada.

Lots of elbow grease. If i were to do a better job ( i was rushed :() i would get get a grinder to really take out all the pitting and all that.
Masking tape and paper. Thats it!
Took 3 and a half hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey CabOoze, about to do my rustbox, pretty advanced.

Anyplace around these parts (Montreal) to get everything (putty, paint, primer, clearcoat etc.) besides Cdn Tire?

I can't see your photos, only have 5 posts. (ridiculous rule).

Best

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hey CabOoze, about to do my rustbox, pretty advanced.

Anyplace around these parts (Montreal) to get everything (putty, paint, primer, clearcoat etc.) besides Cdn Tire?

I can't see your photos, only have 5 posts. (ridiculous rule).

Best
Why in the world would you post in thread that is over 8 years old!?!? Nobody in this tread posts anymore and all the pics are gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts