Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. . i was just curious if there's a DIY for removing the orange part that is in the headlights? Or replacing it with a clear piece?

I was just looking at my car and imagining how much better it would look without that orange shit. Thanks

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
easiest way is to get chrome turn signal bulbs, can get them on amazon.

Otherwise you have to take apart the entire headlight and paint them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I painted my orange reflectors, along with the chrome rings and turn signal bowl.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I plan to bake open my headlight and get rid of the Amber reflector by overlaying it w/ Smoke Vinyl.....I will be purchasing another set of Headlights though for that so I can use my stock ones as a "back-up" pair.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
I plan to bake open my headlight and get rid of the Amber reflector by overlaying it w/ Smoke Vinyl.....I will be purchasing another set of Headlights though for that so I can use my stock ones as a "back-up" pair.
Paint the inside of the reflector black like me, it gives you a far better smoke appearance, and still high gloss on the outside and takes virtually zero work to get it perfect, just tape off edges, paint inside, done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
(Late reply, I know.) While you're at it, consider replacing the orange bulbs in the tail lights. No baking necessary . . . instructions on how to swap the bulbs are actually in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
*Even later post, sorry haven't been on here in a long time registered and have not been able to get around to posting, but question? if you paint the reflector part that helps reflect the light out does it produce less light on the road or is it the same?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Well you're changing the reflective / mirroring qualities at the furthest inside point (granted of course you're not an idiot and paint the outside because that's totally different).

You'll still see some orange due to the plastic being orange (aka the black will not match the black plastic in headlights.

It will reduce reflective qualities, at least 50% from what I've noticed.

Hit it at the right angle and you'll certainly see it, but then again.. that part of the headlight doesn't really have any reflective qualities to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well you're changing the reflective / mirroring qualities at the furthest inside point (granted of course you're not an idiot and paint the outside because that's totally different).

You'll still see some orange due to the plastic being orange (aka the black will not match the black plastic in headlights.

It will reduce reflective qualities, at least 50% from what I've noticed.

Hit it at the right angle and you'll certainly see it, but then again.. that part of the headlight doesn't really have any reflective qualities to begin with.

True I see what you are getting at, I was just wondering because once I finally get home I will be able to start everything I want to do and this is one of the mod's and I will just do what you had done in the " Gen2 headlight housing teardown and painting"

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
It's honestly quite useless this picture, I can get some of my headlights tomorrow, but these were a buddy of mine that we did a few weeks ago (after taking some serious DA action to the clear plastic)

I'll get pictures tomorrow for you with lights etc. against mine to give you a good idea.

I do actually luckily even have some stock headlights to compare!

Wouldn't hurt to compare with actual evidence though, good call.

as for this image, depending on the calibration of your monitor, if you look very very closely, you will see that the reflector still has an orange tint to it, so like I said it doesn't match the black perfectly, but in the middle of the day, no one is going to notice... and it's far cleaner than if you were to try to paint the outside of them, not to mention it still retains some reflective qualities which I'll try to show tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Same cross hatch.

Hell I don't even think the 2010s reflect light at all LOL, but I'll shine different lights, the output of the gen1s will be better of course because it's a flat surface where the gen2s .. no part about it is really that flat.

It'll be an interesting test either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts