Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cars got totalled this weekend, so I'm going to buy a new car to replace it. All I need is auto + AC so I'm ready to get the current national 2009 Mazda 3 i Sport promo lease at a better than nationally advertised rate. But I'm hesitating. Should I pull the trigger on the 2009 or wait and probably pay a little more on the 2010? Is it worth it? Styling wise, I'm fine with either style and the engine is apparently unchanged on the base. Thanks!

2009 Pros:
cheaper

2010 Pros:
current styling
better mileage

·
Registered
206 Posts
depends on your needs....

always get the newer one if you can afford to.

if you just want a new car and are trying to stay as cheap as possible go for the 09.

at this moment, I think the 10 looks pretty weird, altho I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=allstockspeed3 link=topic=134157.msg2884376#msg2884376 date=1232682255]
I like the old school model, the new one is just ugly and looks complicated to mod.
[/quote]

+1 Thats how I see it, too hard to mod and why would you want too, as the saying goes you cant polish a turd :p

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Sounds like the OP is wanting basic transporation. The 09 3i sport is basic!

The 10 will have more features such as power windows on the i sport. IMO, I would go with the 10, it's a bit more car and I would never buy a model in it's last months of production.

Depends on what exactly you're looking for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, one other thing to consider....the 2009 is pretty reliable, with it's model out for 5 years now. Will the 2010 bring enough changes to be unsure about how reliable it could be? I know the engines are the same, but the other components?

·
Registered
54 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=134157.msg2884472#msg2884472 date=1232683893]
I would never buy a model in it's last months of production.
[/quote]

Could you elaborate? Is that a different reason from what I was suggesting in my post, or for a contrasting logic that I had?

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=134157.msg2883781#msg2883781 date=1232669466]
Depends on if you want a Mazda or a Clown car :lol:
[/quote]agree mazda kind of clowned that 3 wagon man, im sad :( if i upgrade which i will it will be a speed no matter what year (hopefuly from an old folk that hasnt modded or beat the crap out of)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The 3 is in it's 6th year of production. I wouldn't want to buy a car that in a few weeks or months will be overshadowed by a new model. However, I'm a car fanatic. For most drivers, this isn't an issue, it's just transportation.

Today, quality is so important and many components are carry-over so 1st year issues are not nearly as much of an issue as it was in in previous decades. I've bought several 1st year models and have never had 1st production run issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=134157.msg2884472#msg2884472 date=1232683893]
Sounds like the OP is wanting basic transporation. The 09 3i sport is basic!

The 10 will have more features such as power windows on the i sport. IMO, I would go with the 10, it's a bit more car and I would never buy a model in
[/quote]
Actually, this car is my 3rd and my mom will be mostly driving it. She doesn't need much besides auto and AC. I am interested if the 2010 comes with more standard features than the 2009. Any verification?

[quote author=speedyaxon link=topic=134157.msg2884475#msg2884475 date=1232683940]
Well, one other thing to consider....the 2009 is pretty reliable, with it's model out for 5 years now. Will the 2010 bring enough changes to be unsure about how reliable it could be? I know the engines are the same, but the other components?
[/quote]
I don't consider the 2010 a 1st year model, since so much of it is the same as the previous generation. On the other hand, my old '00 honda S2K was a true 1st generation and had tons of problems. Similarly, the '04 Mazda RX-8 was a true 1st gen with lots of probs. I learned and saved myself some hassle by getting the '05 RX-8.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
If you're looking for more interior gadgets and more standard features, you'll probably want the 2010 model.

If you're looking for something a little bit more fun to drive and easier to do modifications to, I would probably go for the 2009 and use the extra money you save to mod the car.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=MyZoom7 link=topic=134157.msg2884970#msg2884970 date=1232715761]
It already has more features, a much better interior, improved rigidity, more mpgs. Plus it's just newer.
[/quote]

Since it sounds like your not planning on modifying the car, just looking for something decent to travel in, I would go for the 10 for these reasons.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Whatever you do, just think about if there is a possibility of regretting not going newer... If you don't think that will happen, then just go with the '09.

2010 is a new year... Which = new bugs and glitches.

The 2009 is the final production year of the current car, and has had 5 years for Mazda to work all the bugs out. (which I think it took that long to finallly get the 3 right, now they are changing it)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in the same boat as the OP, deciding between 09 or 10.

Here are my thoughts, and I think I came to a conclusion:
The 09 is cheaper (cheaper MSRP, lower financing, and more cash incentives)
Doesn't have the silly smile

10: WWAYYY more features
6 Speed manual!
Better fuel economy,
The smile is actually starting to grow on me. I have heard from quite a few people that it looks alot better in person then in pictures, and you don't notice the smile as much.

You have a chance to buy a lemon car (or a car with issues) regardless of which year it is. I just may buy extended warranty though

I don't care at all about modding, I would never spend money on that... The only thing I may do is tints, and buy winter tires and maybe different all season.
I am looking at the 2010 GT /moonroof, and it just offers way more features then the 09.

So at this point I am def leaning towards the 10, but if I see an amazing deal on 09 I may still buy one of those.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
[quote author=master_kaos link=topic=134157.msg2885217#msg2885217 date=1232724049]
I am in the same boat as the OP, deciding between 09 or 10.

Here are my thoughts, and I think I came to a conclusion:
The 09 is cheaper (cheaper MSRP, lower financing, and more cash incentives)
Doesn't have the silly smile

10: WWAYYY more features
6 Speed manual!
Better fuel economy,
The smile is actually starting to grow on me. I have heard from quite a few people that it looks alot better in person then in pictures, and you don't notice the smile as much.

You have a chance to buy a lemon car (or a car with issues) regardless of which year it is. I just may buy extended warranty though

I don't care at all about modding, I would never spend money on that... The only thing I may do is tints, and buy winter tires and maybe different all season.
I am looking at the 2010 GT /moonroof, and it just offers way more features then the 09.

So at this point I am def leaning towards the 10, but if I see an amazing deal on 09 I may still buy one of those.

[/quote]

It sounds like you are in a little bit of a dilema in deciding. The biggest thing you should decide upon is if you are truly happy with either. Gadgets shouldn't sell your decision on a car. You need to test them both out performance-wise and how they handle and if that is truly what you want. A 6 speed manual may not mean that it is better. That may mean the gears are closer together in their ratios and may require a lot more shifting to retain the same acceleration as the 5 speed equivalent. Then again, a new model may mean more reliability, but then again maybe not.

On another note, try to own one of these cars and not want to mod it. Once you start to drive it and get some time behind the wheel, you can feel that the car has a lot of potential very restricted by stock parts. This car seems to respond well to the basic bolt-on applications and has a fairly decent following of aftermarket following already.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remember that the 1st gen Mazda 3 is in it's 5th year of production.... all of the kinks have been worked out, the reliability should be impeccable.

The 2010 model is a 1st year model.... they'll still need to work the kinks out.

However, if your leasing this might now matter to you because you will always be under warranty i suppose.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.