Mazda3 Forums banner

Genpu OEM dampers stiffness compared to Konis?

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  GGood 
#1 ·
Hey there, I was thinking of possibly saving myself some money and throwing a set of gen2 MS3 dampers on my MZ3 instead of the Koni STR.Ts I had planned. Anyone have experience on how the stock genpu speed dampers compare with STR.Ts (or yellows on their lowest setting) in terms of stiffness/comfort and handling? TIA

#4 ·
I'm guessing the speed dampers will provide more damping than the yellows on their softest setting. I've got yellows at 50% and they're perfect with a pro kit, feels like stock. I imagine on their softest setting they would be far too soft and I would be one of those people with a car that bounces around on the highway.

Keep in mind the speed dampers have a reputation for leaking and I'm guessing there is no warranty coming with them. Would you be buying used or new? If the price was right it might be worth it, otherwise maybe not so much.

#5 ·
Actually, I just read another estimation of STR.T stiffness being closer to the yellows at 50. So it sounds like its possible the MS3 dampers could work for me, but it's also possible they could be too stiff for my tastes. I also suspect that our tastes in acceptable handling vs. comfort are probably pretty divergent being that you track your car and have a speed (and the considerably greater power that comes with it :) ). Couple that with the expense of install (no garage, parking lot mechanic...) and the chance of them leaking that you mentioned, and I'll probably just go with the STR.Ts when they're on sale (hopefully March 1).

Was there a difference between the genwon and genpu MS3 dampers in terms of leaking?

#8 ·
You'll like the STR.ts. I have them with the RB springs, and the ride is definitely a touch firmer than stock, but still pretty compliant. I also have the rsb from RB and handling is improved significantly. The car loves being thrown into corners.

#9 ·
Yeah I wish I had gone with the RB rsb to start with, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. For some reason the RB guys talked me out of it saying it would make the 2.0 squirrelly or something. (Not sure how really, afaik the only real difference is 2-300 lbs...)

I am concerned that the tripoint @750 may be too stiff for my own personal preferences once I add the RB springs though. That is, if the 20 percent increased spring rate works to make the bar essentially 20 percent stiffer. At 825 on the tripoint I felt like I was being bounced around the cabin too much on rough roads. But that's why I kept my first CS bar to take the stiffness down if I need to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.