Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize and feel free to move it wherever. :?

Anyway, I'm new to the aftermarket scene, and I really only want to do one or two things to my car. The first being angel eyes, but that's not the main thing.

But first of all, will my Mazda dealer install aftermarket parts (more specifically a Borla Exhaust), or do I have to bring them to a shop? I'm not quite auto savvy enough to install anything like this. How much would labor cost for something like that?

Thanks for the help, I'm just kind of lost.

P.S. What is the race pipe everyone refers to with the Borla exhaust? Does it come with it or do I buy it seperately? (Price?)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Your dealer will probably install it, warranty their work only, and try to rape you on labor cost. I don't think a shop would charge as much as the dealer.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=ebhcr link=topic=70666.msg1237876#msg1237876 date=1172631827]
Your dealer will probably install it, warranty their work only, and try to rape you on labor cost. I don't think a shop would charge as much as the dealer.
[/quote]

Hmm, okay. Thanks a lot. So exactly how much moolah are we talking about? :shock:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm pretty sure labor is $86/hr from the dealer, I saw the415 say it a few times.

I wouldn't know, but the best way is to get some quotes from local shops.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been going to a local shop for many years, for my last three cars. If you can find a good, REPUTABLE, local shop, it's probably the best bet. I go to Sharp's Supply in Mulliken, MI (just to the west of Lansing, where I live). They're awesome, although if you walked in their current/old garage, you might be put off by how beat up and old it is. However, you probably wouldn't be put off by the classic Mustangs, GTOs, de Tomaso Panteras, and the like that are almost always in their shop. They're a part store, mechanic shop, and a performance shop, and have been at it for many years. They're hourly rate is $60, and they genuinely care about doing good work. They can do just about anything you can do to a car, including ripping apart transmissions, and body work/customizing.

They've cut me HUGE deals on installs just because they: (1) had never done it before; or (2) felt they spent way too much time getting it just right and couldn't justify charging me for the time they actually spent. For example, they installed the Jackson Racing supercharger on my previous car, a 2001 Focus ZX3. They cut me a big deal because they were not familiar with that exact kit on that exact car, even though they've done plenty of hot rodding work on other cars with other hardware. They didn't need to do that. Also, when I went back to them to install a water/methanol injection kit later, they did an incredible job on the install, even making and painting a mounting plate for the tank, and charged me for only a couple hours of work intead of most of the day they actually spent on it, because they knew that the total for their labor would have been more than I spent on the kit.

Long story short: look around your area (I started in the Yellow Pages years ago), and call around. Talk to the guys, owners, and check out the shop. Give them a try with something simple, and see how you feel about them. If you seem to like them, try them again and build a relationship with them. I know you say you're only interested in a couple of installs, but this stuff grows on you! And if you do decide to do more in the future, having a good relationship with a good shop will pay off.

I've always had a good sense for people, and whether someone I'm talking to is good, and genuine, and that helps, too. Avoid places that seem like they're just catering to the "ricer," or sport compact, crowd, as I think usually they're crap, and just trying to rip off dumb kids. I chose Sharp's initially largely because they were an old school hot rodding shop.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Chibana link=topic=70666.msg1238778#msg1238778 date=1172680612]
I've been going to a local shop for many years, for my last three cars. If you can find a good, REPUTABLE, local shop, it's probably the best bet. I go to Sharp's Supply in Mulliken, MI (just to the west of Lansing, where I live). They're awesome, although if you walked in their current/old garage, you might be put off by how beat up and old it is. However, you probably wouldn't be put off by the classic Mustangs, GTOs, de Tomaso Panteras, and the like that are almost always in their shop. They're a part store, mechanic shop, and a performance shop, and have been at it for many years. They're hourly rate is $60, and they genuinely care about doing good work. They can do just about anything you can do to a car, including ripping apart transmissions, and body work/customizing.

They've cut me HUGE deals on installs just because they: (1) had never done it before; or (2) felt they spent way too much time getting it just right and couldn't justify charging me for the time they actually spent. For example, they installed the Jackson Racing supercharger on my previous car, a 2001 Focus ZX3. They cut me a big deal because they were not familiar with that exact kit on that exact car, even though they've done plenty of hot rodding work on other cars with other hardware. They didn't need to do that. Also, when I went back to them to install a water/methanol injection kit later, they did an incredible job on the install, even making and painting a mounting plate for the tank, and charged me for only a couple hours of work intead of most of the day they actually spent on it, because they knew that the total for their labor would have been more than I spent on the kit.

Long story short: look around your area (I started in the Yellow Pages years ago), and call around. Talk to the guys, owners, and check out the shop. Give them a try with something simple, and see how you feel about them. If you seem to like them, try them again and build a relationship with them. I know you say you're only interested in a couple of installs, but this stuff grows on you! And if you do decide to do more in the future, having a good relationship with a good shop will pay off.

I've always had a good sense for people, and whether someone I'm talking to is good, and genuine, and that helps, too. Avoid places that seem like they're just catering to the "ricer," or sport compact, crowd, as I think usually they're crap, and just trying to rip off dumb kids. I chose Sharp's initially largely because they were an old school hot rodding shop.
[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the advice. Just curious, though, how many hours would it take to install an exhaust system? Also, what is the race pipe everyone talks about with their Borla (included?)? I would love to do more mods, but 1. I don't have a ton of money to spend and 2. I don't want to void my warranty.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
exhaust shouldn't take more than 45min-1hr. if you do it yourself, which it's very easy to do, maybe 1.5hrs since you'd most likely be working under jackstands and using a sawzall.

a race pipe is the pipe that removes the 2nd cat. it's for exhausts that retain the 2nd cat. i didn't need one since my hks delets the 2nd cat.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=the415 link=topic=70666.msg1239273#msg1239273 date=1172693342]
exhaust shouldn't take more than 45min-1hr. if you do it yourself, which it's very easy to do, maybe 1.5hrs since you'd most likely be working under jackstands and using a sawzall.

a race pipe is the pipe that removes the 2nd cat. it's for exhausts that retain the 2nd cat. i didn't need one since my hks delets the 2nd cat.
[/quote]

Ok, but do I NEED to remove the 2nd cat? Will it fail emissions if I do? (Borla CatBack BTW)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
yes, the less restriction, the more power can be made

if you dont have a pzev, you will pass without the 2nd cat. if you do have a pzev, you will need to weld a bung in the race pipe and get an o2 cheater.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=the415 link=topic=70666.msg1239397#msg1239397 date=1172696195]
yes, the less restriction, the more power can be made

if you dont have a pzev, you will pass without the 2nd cat. if you do have a pzev, you will need to weld a bung in the race pipe and get an o2 cheater.
[/quote]

Oh, so it IS legal without a second cat... I'm in PA, and I don't have a PZEV (don't think). Which race pipes are the best?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
it is illegal to remove the 2nd cat. will you pass inspection? yes because if you dont have a pzev, there is no emission controls hooked up to the 2nd cat. the first cat will still be there so even if they do a visual inspection, they will see 1 and be happy.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
[quote author=mike1123 link=topic=70666.msg1239402#msg1239402 date=1172696305]
Which race pipes are the best?
[/quote]

It's a simple straight pipe with either 1 or 2 flanges.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
yes they are car specific. check our sponsors and you will find them. search is your friend.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=70666.msg1241731#msg1241731 date=1172774981]
search is your friend.
[/quote]
+1

·
Registered
339 Posts
Also, if you're not at all mechanically inclined (as I'm not, but I know a pretty good amount about cars, having been a car nut for 28 years, since I was 9), be careful about all the recommendations from gear heads, or "do-it-yourself-ers" suggesting you do things yourself. Much of my earlier modding was a learning experience finding what I should do myself and what I shouldn't. The cars I've modded have always been my one-and-only daily driver. It's one thing to hose your car messing around with an install when it's a second or third toy car, but it's totally another when it's your only way to get your ass 85 miles to work.

You need to learn your limits, and take it to someone who knows what they're doing when you don't. For me, that just about everything! :) It sounds kind of cruel, but I have to admit I get a bit of chuckle out of people who muck their cars up trying to do something themselves, and then complain when it blows up. I do TONS of reseach before doing anything to my car (after being burned with one of my first mods to my 1997 Ford Contour SE), but then I give the car to Sharp's so it can be done right, knowing that even if something goes wrong, they're equipped and skilled enough to handle any issue that might come up.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
if you dont get in there and get your hands dirty, you'll never learn how to do it.

thats like being a virgin and having the know-how but since you've never had sex, you pay someone else to satisfy your girl.

lol....sounds silly doesn't it.

i always suggest doing it yourself with someone who knows what they're doing to guide you or going to some install days of members around you and help them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts