Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After looking at tirerack.com, I've concluded that the General Altimax HPs seem to best match my requirements (quiet, reasonably good winter traction, decent handling, good price). They don't have them in 205/50R17 tough (I have an `06 hatch), so I'm thinking of getting the 215/45R17 size.

Does anyone have experience with these tires, or with driving on 215/45R17 sized tires? The speedometer inaccuracy sucks a bit, since I often play and sometimes rely on the trip computer, which presumably would also be inaccurate. Also, I would imagine that the odometer reading will be 1.8% higher than what I drove.

Oh, finally, I read somewhere that certain states won't let you pass your vehicle inspection if you put on non-stock-sized tires. Is that true?

Thanks,

D.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I used to have Generals on my Altima and unless their quality have gotten better, I will NEVER buy Generals again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like General markets them as all season tires, but TireRack thinks they are soo bad in snow that they refuse to list them as all season.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tire Rack only lists the Exclaim UHP. They don't have a listing for just the Exclaim. They are two different tires. I have dealt with both Tire Rack and Tread Depot. Both have great customer service.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
They're better cheap all-seasons. General has been taken over by Conti but unless you see a revised tire (Which usually would fall under a new release) the tire is probably exactly the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. They are not listed on the General Tires website. Have you found any reviews for these? It would be hard for me to buy tires without reading reviews.

Do 215/50R17 tires fit on our rims? I noticed that the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity are available in this size. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts