Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the gear ratios (final drive ratios) compare to other cars?

Subaru's in general have a lower final drive ratio, so they have more torque than the Mazda 3.

How about Civics, Corollas, Tiburons, etc?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Well I guess you have to check other manufacturers' websites to get your answer, then post it here, then we may discuss it :)

So get the research going!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 3s auto sedan and hatch are both 4.416 which sounds quite low. You have to also consider the in gear ratio and the tire diameter to get the overall gearing to make a comparison. I seemed to remember reading the gearing is taller on the 6i ATX. Seems like the 6i ATX was a 4.16 with the same internal gear ratios but ran a 60 series tire so it might be very close when the taller tires are taken into account.

I wish the 3s ATX was a five speed so that the rpms would not drop quite as much between shifts, and it would allow for a slightly taller top gear.

Oh well, the 3s MTX has things covered pretty well. Still a six speed for the MTX and a 5 for the ATX would have been ideal. Maybe in a future model year.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What exactly is the final drive ratio?
There are few pulleys that convert the rpm down (and torque up) just before the engine power going through the wheel axles, regardless which gear you are using. The ratio of conversion is called final drive ratio.

The total engine-wheel rpm/torque conversion is simply the product betwen gear ratios and final drive ratio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's too bad that Mazda didn't retune the gears for the 2.0L engine . . . I'd say that 148hp should be a pretty good number for a sedan in that class. In fact, I'm getting carried away. The 2.0 seems to be a capable engine, but the 2.3 is definitely a lot more fun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also, if Mazda can get 148 hp out of 2.0 liters, shouldn't the 2.3 be closer to 170 hp?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ya, the 2.3 is a little disappointing to me in terms of specific output. I would have expected 180HP.

Perhaps there is significant gains with bolt-on components, however unlikely this is starting to look:

CAI : already available, and no one has published significant gains.
Header: stock header is already a pretty good design.
Exhaust: custom fabrications are already available, and no published significant gains.

Oh well.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
LeeLee said:
Ya, the 2.3 is a little disappointing to me in terms of specific output. I would have expected 180HP.

Perhaps there is significant gains with bolt-on components, however unlikely this is starting to look:

CAI : already available, and no one has published significant gains.
Header: stock header is already a pretty good design.
Exhaust: custom fabrications are already available, and no published significant gains.

Oh well.
What company makes a CAI LeeLee?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I heard that the Injen CAI for the Mazda6 2.3L is a drop-in. I read it either here or on one of the other Mazda3 boards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Notice the lower compression ratio of the 2.3 (9.7:1)? Good for engine longevity, but not for balls-out power. Maybe Mazdaspeed has something in mind for the future? It wouldn't surprise me if a higher output engine with a turbo is released as a 2004.5 or if a factory turbo unit becomes available for the 2.3 as a dealer distributed option

·
Registered
5 Posts
Notice the lower compression ratio of the 2.3 (9.7:1)? Good for engine longevity, but not for balls-out power. Maybe Mazdaspeed has something in mind for the future? It wouldn't surprise me if a higher output engine with a turbo is released as a 2004.5 or if a factory turbo unit becomes available for the 2.3 as a dealer distributed option

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
LeeLee said:
I heard that the Injen CAI for the Mazda6 2.3L is a drop-in. I read it either here or on one of the other Mazda3 boards.
I'm sure that went South and did not work. Aem is close to done from what I heard. Bosal said could be 3 - 4 months on there cat-back whick is on the Mazda3's ar Rev It Up.

---Herb---

·
Registered
427 Posts
According to the Car & Driver April Issue, Page 42, Mazda is readying a 280hp version of the 2.3L. Don't know if it will be released in NA.

I posted this in a different thread earlier today, but thought it was appropriate to post here too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was doing some research on the 2.3 in the Mazda 6 and it looks like the final drive ratio of the EU spec vs the US spec is different. I also noticed the compression ratio is lower (10.6 vs 10.0) on the US spec.

Transmissions EU US
Manual transaxle 2.3L
Clutch
Clutch diameter 215 x 150 215 x 150
Gear ratio
– 1st 3.307 3.307
– 2nd 1.842 1.842
– 3rd 1.233 1.233
– 4th 0.97 0.914
– 5th 0.755 0.717
– Reverse 3.166 3.166
– Final drive ratio 4.388 4.105

Is this also true in the MZ3? Is Australia gets the EU spec car this may explain why Mandee is getting better ETs than most other drivers that post here...

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Interesting. This may be useful later on for people looking for mods 8) .

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Euro spec has a higher compression ratio than the Australian spec!

The Aus spec Compression ratio is 9.7:1

The Aus spec mazda 6 has a compression ratio 10.6:1

Therefore, our mazda 6 is the same as the euro spec and our mazda 3 is the same as the US spec...i wish we got the euro spec as i would be running even quicker times as it has an extra 6 kw from its higher compression ratio!!!

So apart from the 15.3 sec 1/4 mile time, what time is the quickest so far...we should get a 1/4 mile tally happening to compare and keep up to date!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts