Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question or questions rather. Has anyone located and used the ecu wiring to wire temp gauges to (oil and water) in place of using the sending units that came with the gauges? I really don't want to buy the spin on conversion and I don't want to cut my radiator hoses for installing the inline sensor for the water gauge. Does anyone have a link for the speed 3 ecu pinout as well?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dont know about the ECU wiring, however I wouldnt worry about cutting the radiator hosing for the gauges. Its very easy to replace and not very expensive unless you have nice upgraded silicone tubing.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I'd just stick with the aftermarket sensors than tapping into the stock wiring.

1.) If there's a short, you could fry your ECU. - Major money.
2.) Who's to say the factory sensors will output the proper signal for your gauge to read. Some might be 5volts, some may be 12 volts. Some could be at a different OHM rating.
3.) If a problem does develop further down the road, its a LOT easier to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I switch to a spin on filter and the adapter will I have any clearance problems with my car? It's on stock suspension and I don't really have plans of lowering it.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
You'll be fine, it doesn't sit any lower than the radiator, if you hit something that damages the oil filter, you are going to have more damage than just that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't laugh and I should already know the answer, but here's a question a complete newb would ask. Where is the ecu located on the car? All the work I have done to the car and I ask a stupid question like this.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I thought,but I was always used to having inside the car. I was convinced that mazda wouldn't put it under the hood. I just pulled it out of the car to install the inlet tube yesterday.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope. I thought about running down there but just ended up buying the cobb. I have the cobb sri and all the couplers for the FMIC are blue so I went with that so it would kinda match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts