Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about the gauges(speedo,tach) for the i(US) or in Canada gx or gs, do the gauges have any illumintion when the lights aren't on? I only ask cause it seems that without light it might be hard to see the numbers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im for Canada and I just set my wipers and lights to auto..so during the day the lights in the gauge cluster are orange, and have 5 settings..and at night they are blue and have 2 or 3 settings I can't remember. anyways they are reealy easy to see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
guage lighting setup less than ideal

I disagree. Unless you leave the dash lights on the brightest setting, they are hard to see in direct sunlight, especially when wearing polarized sunglasses. also if you like to always drive with full headlights on as I prefer, the guages switch to night illumination and are barely visible. I have had to switch to putting the lights on the auto mode (DRL only during day), in order to see the guages. I would have prefered the numbers be printed on the guage face

·
Registered
254 Posts
the last 2 posts were talking about the s trim when the question was asked about the i trim.. i don't have , nor have i see the i trim so i unfortunately can't answer the question but to gandrigo there should be a button in the upper left hand corner of yr gauge cluster just between the center and left gauge (it's exactly like the button to reset the tripometer but on the left side instead of the right) that can give you daytime illumination even when you have yr lights on, also, when it's on that setting the knob to change the brighteness doesn't do anything, i personally have yet to have an issue with seeing the 'day illumination' setting even in bright direct sunlight through my moonroof with my sunglasses on... they're a helluva lot easier to read in sunlight than my 92 toyota corolla with a black bg and white numbers painted on.

isn't there already like 10 topics about this?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Haha... yeah i know..

anyway.. to answer this question, I need to clarify whether u mean the i model hard to see during day without illumination or u meant the s-trim??

The i-trim, or the 2.0L models, have white letters on black background, so wont be hard to see during daytime....just the same with every other car on the road.

The s-trim however, will illuminate in red at ALL times. if there's sunlight, there will be a silver ring, at night, it will be a blue ring on the background with the red lighting.

Hope that clears up ur question

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: guage lighting setup less than ideal

gandrigo said:
I disagree. Unless you leave the dash lights on the brightest setting, they are hard to see in direct sunlight, especially when wearing polarized sunglasses. also if you like to always drive with full headlights on as I prefer, the guages switch to night illumination and are barely visible. I have had to switch to putting the lights on the auto mode (DRL only during day), in order to see the guages. I would have prefered the numbers be printed on the guage face
doesn't polarized sunglasses make u c BETTER in sunlight or bright surrounding???
i have a pair of adidas polarized trail sunglasses and i c the gauges fine when i tested drove the mazda 3...and i set it to auto too...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Doesn't matter, even with regular sunglasses, u'll see the gauges just fine

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't realize you could choose day illumination with lights on. thanks I'll try that. I do stand by my assertion that the guages are hard to see with polarized glasses (RayBan). It could be the combination of my eyes and my particular glasses, but that doesn't make my comment less valid. I still would have prefered the regular guages standard in the i trim for day visibility. the S guages do look cool at night though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts